• Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
One Man's Dream
February 3, 1984

During a dinner, Sam is distracted with his thoughts and doesn't notice that the speakers are summarizing their speeches of the conference earlier that afternoon. The summaries are for the benefit of those that couldn't attend the conference (due to the 1980 Dallas problems). Sam's mind blanks out with his nervousness. As he approaches the podium, he tries to recall his speech and he can't understand why his photographic memory should fail him now. Eventually, Sam plucks up enough courage to ask Donna why she is leaving the project and is very surprised at her answer. An enraged Donna threatens to leave the Starbright Project there and then and walks out on Sam, and he follows her despite Al's warning. After a tempestuous discussion, Sam manages to talk Donna into staying on, but only for the week as was promised him previously; he hadn't gained anything, only gotten back what he'd lost. Now Sam has only seven days to persuade her into continuing at the project. Sam has a plan, but Al is skeptical as to how it will pan out.

Written by: Sue Johnson

Rate and comment on "One Man's Dream" from Season One!

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprises in one way - just the usual high standard we have come to expect of you, Sue.
Some great touches, spot on characterisation as usual, and as Brian says, continuity from the first story is ace.
Kudos to you, Ms Johnson! Look out JK!

There were a few high-brow words even this dictionary reader has never come across (which sent me to my thesaurus -- offline and online). I also found an 'oops'. You referenced the year of Tom's death in Vietnam as 1972. Uh, uh; Tom died in 1970. But over all it's a good story.

E.

Re: Re: One Man's Dream / Episode 002

Sorry about the 1970/72 slip, it was a miss-read on my part. I used the QL Timelines link from John's Nitpickers Site (great site BTW) and my eyes must have strayed down the page a little to John Beckett's death in '72. Again my apologies. (Must get the A to Z of Quantum Leap, ordered it several times from Amazon.com but always seem to get piped at the post.)

As for the high-brow words ROTFL, I'm from the UK and we do use our words a little differently over here, as you know.

Anyway peeps, glad you liked my first ever 'published' story, but there's more to come. There's 3 in the lineup for Virtual Seasons, one completed, one nearly finished and the other is in the planning stages. Not giving anything away here but yes, "One Man's Dream" was predictable, but how can one change that which has already been written? (And brilliantly written, my thanks go to Mr. D. P. Bellisario for giving us such great characters to work with.)

I read it before I went to bed last night, Sue. As Brian said, excellent follow-up to the pilot! Well done!:D

Excellent!
:D

~RossBeckett(Steve)
P.S. I downloaded the song, "Who's gonna drive you home tonight" via Limewire. I forgot who sings it or wrote it? I listen to it over and over. I call it "The Sam and Donna song"!

Excellent work, Sue! I can only echo what Brian said... it's a great follow-up to the pilot, and I like the developing relationships between Sam, Al, Donna, and Bobby.

I don't know about predictable... I mean, we all _knew_ that Donna would be staying, but we didn't know _how_. The ending was surprising, too, with that little orb growing. Perhaps blood is better than plant matter? :lol

... Mike. ^_^