"Color of Truth" = Driving Miss Daisy?

The_P_Man

Project QL Intern
Jul 27, 2005
Hello, I just watched the movie Driving Miss Daisy for the first time last night and noticed it was very much like the Quantum Leap episdoe "Color of Truth." Was it the producer's intention to make this episode a mock of Driving Miss Daisy? Sure, there were a few differences, for example there was no maid in the Color of Truth, and the story line was a bit different, but nonetheless it seemed very similar. I liked both Color of Truth and Driving Miss Daisy, although I thought the Quantum Leap episode was a bit more exciting :hurray: :D

Thanks,
The_P_Man

I believe "Driving Miss Daisy" was an inspiration for "The Color of Truth". It premiered the same year that the episode aired and was quite popular. This isn't the only instance of homage being paid to a well known movie. In "Genesis" homage is paid to the Robert Redford movie "The Natural" when Sam leaps into Tim Fox. "Good Morning Peoria" is not only shares a similarity in title with the movie "Good Morning Vietnam" but the movie is indirectly mentioned (not by name) and Sam's dj patter is much like that of Robin Williams' in "Good Morning Vietnam".

jmoniz said:
I believe "Driving Miss Daisy" was an inspiration for "The Color of Truth". It premiered the same year that the episode aired and was quite popular. This isn't the only instance of homage being paid to a well known movie. In "Genesis" homage is paid to the Robert Redford movie "The Natural" when Sam leaps into Tim Fox. "Good Morning Peoria" is not only shares a similarity in title with the movie "Good Morning Vietnam" but the movie is indirectly mentioned (not by name) and Sam's dj patter is much like that of Robin Williams' in "Good Morning Vietnam".

Some more direct movie homages I've noticed throughout the series:

"The Leap Home" and Hoosiers both had basketball teams in Indiana with the same color jersies.

"The Right Hand Of God" was similar to Rocky when the Rocky theme played during Sam's training.

"A Little Miracle" is of course a direct reference to A Christmas Carol.

"The Boogiem@n" is an homage to various Stephen King novels.

"The Leaping Of the Shrew" reminds me a lot of The Blue Lagoon, in which Brooke Shields also starred. Not sure if that was intentional, though.

"Rebel Without a Clue" may be an homage to an old movie but I'm not sure.

On a side note, "Shock Theater" always reminded me a lot of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I doubt the epsiode was any intentional reference.

Last edited:
I believe Rebel without a Clue may be inspired by Rebel witout a Cause, starring James Dean. We had to watch it when i was a senior in high school in english. It was a pretty good movie.

and Double Identity which you did not mention was very much a spin off of Married to the Mob which coquincidentily starred our very own Dean Stockwell.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I believe Rebel without a Clue may be inspired by Rebel witout a Cause, starring James Dean. . It was a pretty good movie.

and Double Identity which you did not mention was very much a spin off of Married to the Mob which coquincidentily starred our very own Dean Stockwell.

Double Idemnity was about a ladykiller with Fred Mc-something. He was the lover of the woman that wanted her husband dead. Sam watched it in some episode; I watched it too. Good old movie...as was Rebel without a cause. I never would have thought Married to the Mob and Double Identity. That's how I got to know Dean as an adult. Oh Double Identity reminds me so much of family reunions minus the mobster part. Mom's Italian & Sicilian. The food, the language, the life...ahh...love it. Funny enough, I resemble Marlene Dietrich & I'm 1/2 Italian.

Fred MacMurray....famous for My Three Sons, and the Disney movie The Absent-Minded Professor, which Flubber was a remake of. I've only seen the very end of Double Indemnity.

I only saw that once, years ago, but I don't see how? Cuz Tess didn't have an older shrew sister that had to be married off before she could.

Double Identity reminds me of my family. My uncle's Italian, and when he and my aunt got married, there were 2,000 people at the wedding.

just to remind you Al, isn't it fun to talk and eat with a dozen people who you have no idea are and just love you???

taming of the shrew...
1. tess & kate: mouthy
2. chance: sorta like baptista
3. let's getting married so i can: no one but really, "want to keep riata in the family"
4. family family family
5. mutual hatred/love
6. anything to get the man to hate you
7. independent women

okay, it was a stretch but it was still there...well sort of

The Leap Home part II definitely reminds me of all those classic 'nam war movies (Apocalypse Now, Dogs of War etc), also 'Animal Frat' reminds me of American Pie and 'The Last Gunfighter' of all those great Clint Eastwood (You feelin' lucky, punk?) westerns......

I Believe Good Morning Peoria is inspired by Good Morning Vietnam. A very goos movie, and once Sam got into the swing of things he sounded on the radio, a lot like Robin Williams charactor in the movie, energetic and excited.

the leap home where sam leaped into him shelf as a 15 years old reminded me the movie back to the future.specially when we saw in the episode that scot played the role of sams dad like in the btf movie where michael j fox played his characters sister lol

jmoniz said:
That's what I said when I originally responded to this. Al even makes a direct reference to the move.

Yeah i noticed that. :)
sorry I didn't however notice that you had mentioned it earlier.:bow

leaper said:
the leap home where sam leaped into him shelf as a 15 years old reminded me the movie back to the future.specially when we saw in the episode that scot played the role of sams dad like in the btf movie where michael j fox played his characters sister lol

Fox plays Marty's sister? are you sure?

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Yeah i noticed that. :)
sorry I didn't however notice that you had mentioned it earlier.:bow

Fox plays Marty's sister? are you sure?
my mistake in btf2 he plays martys sister but its the same thing with ql.
also the episode where sam leaped into a monkey,its like the planet of the apes specially when in the end of the episode sam kissed his female companion lol.and mirror image is like a n episode from the twilight zone .thats all

leaper said:
my mistake in btf2 he plays martys sister but its the same thing with ql.l

no no no. in bttf 2, michael j fox plays his daughter. the same guy who did make up for click (with adam sandler), gorillas in the mist, back to the future, etc. rick baker did ql's for leap home.

also, stop making my mind wander everyone. i love twilight zone, ql, bttf, planet of the apes, and the like.

i think they are more real than reality...

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I need to see the other two Back to the Futures, I have only seen the first.
yes you do so you can compare doc & sam it's so cool and also marty & al. meld sam & doc together you've got one h--- of a man. both are so cute and cool...did i mention they both are cool?