Would you buy...

Would you buy a five-season box set (US) with broadcast music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYCSciFiFan

Project QL Intern
May 21, 2008
This is really for those of us in the USA, sorry.

Would you buy a full five-season DVD box set if they included the original broadcast songs that were replaced on some earlier DVD versions?

I'm guessing the cost would be around $200-$250. (That's a SWAG)

Personally, for that price, I would not. I'm content knowing that I have the episodes to watch, regardless of music. Besides, I never actually watched Quantum Leap when it aired on NBC (you all may remember I started watching it when it came to ION), so I really don't know what I would be missing. If it were much cheaper, perhaps.

Well, I only have the first season, mostly because I couldn't afford to get the other four, but also because I really didn't feel like wasting any money I *did* have on incomplete episodes. What they did to MIA broke my heart...

The price of a 5-season box-set given in the original post is a bit on the pricey side, but if that is because we are paying for the original music... well, then I would have no problem with saving up to buy it.

Joy

yes, i'd love to buy such a set and hear the original music as I'm not sure I ever did. Does anyone know oif the version screened in Germany ages ago had different music ? I kinda suspect it.

(I did the same as you Ang :) )

My Serious Wild A**ed Guess (SWAG) was 5 seasons @ $40/season. (That's what the Heroes Season DVDs cost)

Is that too high a guesstimate?

I looked at a few other box sets for price comparisons on Amazon.com. The prices are somewhat discounted, but who pays full list price?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (7 full seasons) over $300! Yikes! But...

Angel Collector's Set (5 seasons) $125

Wild Wild West (4 seasons, 104 episodes) $87

So $200 for QL might be a high estimate--except that there's that pesky music issue. Paying for the missing music rights would raise the price. Personally, since I already have all 5 seasons on DVD, I probably wouldn't buy a box set, even though I feel cheated about the music.

Freaks and Geeks might be a good comparison, since they went to great extremes to clear the rights for over 130 songs... The full 18-episode DVD set is $54.99 on Amazon. There is also a "Yearbook Edition" with two discs of bonus features for $129.99; and remember, that is for an 18-episode season/series.

So, I think $200 might actually be reasonable, but, IMHO, only if they added more extras.

Oh, and the Wild West West boxset also includes the two TV movies; so that's actually a really great deal. I've been planning for a long time to buy that boxset once I snag myself a job.

Joy

Freaks and Geeks might be a good comparison, since they went to great extremes to clear the rights for over 130 songs... The full 18-episode DVD set is $54.99 on Amazon. There is also a "Yearbook Edition" with two discs of bonus features for $129.99; and remember, that is for an 18-episode season/series.

So, I think $200 might actually be reasonable, but, IMHO, only if they added more extras.

Wow... Maybe that's why the Buffy set is so expensive too, although a lot of the music was produced especially for the show. But I think there's no point in doing a QL box set if they don't get the music rights.

tina_als_girl said:
Oh, and the Wild West West boxset also includes the two TV movies; so that's actually a really great deal. I've been planning for a long time to buy that boxset once I snag myself a job.

Joy

It is a great deal, but I've read some serious complaints about the packaging. I have the 4 seasons on the separate sets and the DVDs are just wonderful--the colors are so vivid! The black & white so clear and deep. I don't mind a bit not having the TV movies. I hated them so much when they were first broadcast (back when I was in high school) that I don't ever want to see them again. They are my biggest argument against TV remakes. Gaaahhh. Oh yeah, and they misspelled Artie's name on 3 of the 4 season sets. OK, enough OT editorializing. :)

You bought them for $25 to Jassian?

They were roughly half price for a while where I bought them!

:)

I think so. I remember they were on sale about a season at a time and that's when I got them. And I think it was 25. :)

This is really for those of us in the USA, sorry.

Would you buy a full five-season DVD box set if they included the original broadcast songs that were replaced on some earlier DVD versions?

I'm guessing the cost would be around $200-$250. (That's a SWAG)

I know that's for those in the USA, but I would definitely buy it, as long as the image doesn't contain the so-called funhouse effect, no matter what type of TV you play the DVDs on. Universal should stop using the Macrovision encoding.

If it went down in price I would most likely buy it. For the price that's listed there I wouldn't as it's out of my price range.