Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community

Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/index.php)
-   Quantum Leap: Season Five (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   501 Lee Harvey Oswald (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570)

Sam Beckett Fan 12-03-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleD (Post 60856)
It was slightly off topic but in this case it was a fun sort of off topic... ;)

I thought the idea that Jackie was killed in the original history and Sam was there to prevent that was an interesting idea. It was one of the few episodes where Sam leapt from one person to another in the same episode. It was well done, even considering the issue of doing leaps about famous people. That's already been discussed though, so I won't rehash that. :)

It was an interesting idea but made no sense in connection with the multiple leaps throughout Oswald's life. That in my opinion was simply NBC's desire to use QL to tell a version of a very controversial event in history; to express that Oswald not only was guilty but acted alone though neither has been proven to my knowledge.

blue enigma 12-03-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60859)
That in my opinion was simply NBC's desire to use QL to tell a version of a very controversial event in history; to express that Oswald not only was guilty but acted alone though neither has been proven to my knowledge.

Absolutely. Though I'm pretty sure it was Bellisario himself not NBC. Bellisario believed that Oswald was guilty and acted alone, and used QL to tell that version. I'm not sure but I think he was doing it in response to Oliver Stone's movie JFK which supported the conspiracy theory. Also, maybe someone can else can confirm this, but I think Bellisario may have actually met Oswald. It wasn't a positive experience if the episode is anything to go by.

Lightning McQueenie 12-03-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60859)
It was an interesting idea but made no sense in connection with the multiple leaps throughout Oswald's life.

Unless, as Gooshie stated in the episode, the purpose of the multiple leaps in Oswald's life WERE to simply to solve the conspiracy. The identity or identities of the murderers remaining a mystery for so long could easily be considered a wrong that needed to be put right.

I'm not saying it wasn't gimmicky or that it didn't feel like propaganda, I'm just explaining the purpose of the leaps in Oswald's life from a story perspective.

Sam Beckett Fan 12-05-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue enigma (Post 60861)
Absolutely. Though I'm pretty sure it was Bellisario himself not NBC. Bellisario believed that Oswald was guilty and acted alone, and used QL to tell that version. I'm not sure but I think he was doing it in response to Oliver Stone's movie JFK which supported the conspiracy theory.

Actually I may have read/heard something about the episode in relation to the JFK documentary. DBP was disgruntled with that film as I recall. Though that's a bit unsettling to think he'd break one of his own rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue enigma
Also, maybe someone can else can confirm this, but I think Bellisario may have actually met Oswald. It wasn't a positive experience if the episode is anything to go by.

Indeed he did, in fact the encounter is featured in the episode. Recall the scene of a random conversation between Sam and a soldier who's name if memory serves is not spoken but if you look closely is there on the breast of his uniform. That Solider is DBP (though of course in the form of an actor portraying his younger self).

Lightning McQueenie 01-06-2014 02:36 AM

I thought of something else in this leap. Sam and Al had said in "A Leap For Lisa" that "Success has nothing to do with leaping". We aren't sure of what Sam's individual missions were in each of his leaps (though we know he changed "history" twice - the first time being to not kill his commanding officer at the bar in Japan, and the second is obviously saving Jackie Kennedy), but what if this leap is the perfect example of success having nothing to do with leaping.

When Sam leapt to Russia, after Sam revealed everything he knew about the U2, Al said "We don't think you told the Russians anything they didn't already know...", and so was told to just do exactly as had been done the first time. Chances are if Sam didn't change anything, he didn't put right the wrong that he was put there to do, but still kept on leaping.

So the question is, what could have been the "wrongs" Sam was sent to put right in each of those leaps?

In his original leap, when Marina had taken Oswald's picture, I think Sam actually did change history. Maybe Oswald had originally beaten her and severely injured her? Sam might have changed that.

Obviously the Japan leap, he stopped Oswald from killing his commanding officer.

The leap where he talked to Bellisario, well that was just odd... Maybe he was there "admitting" to Bellisario that he was indeed a communist, thereby giving him a reason to write the episode?

In Russia, maybe he had actually leapt there to prevent Oswald from giving out any information. Obviously he failed this leap, and so just had to follow what had originally happened so as not to change history in any other (worse) ways.

When he leapt into Oswald about to kill the senator, maybe the leap affected his aim, and in the originally history actually did kill him?

And obviously when he leapt into just before the JFK assassination (or rather, the leap after) he saved Jackie Kennedy...

servo75 02-11-2016 12:14 AM

Just play it out...

By the time Sam was in New Orleans 1963, Al was yelling at him that he was losing control and complained that he was doing exactly as Oswald did... but didn't he say back at the KGB that this IS what Sam should do?

TheLeaper 05-25-2016 03:23 PM

Oswald seem to be in control of Sam the majority of the time in the past. So why wasn't Sam in control most of the time in the future?

And the moments you are, it's not like "I'm home" or "Tell Donna I love her". Nope. It's "OMG. Oswald is about to kill someone who has been dead for over 40 years from my perspective unless you get through to me". Ugh

Markymarc8 08-10-2017 07:18 PM

Plot hole?

This episode takes place in February 1999. Yet the leap back was set in September of '99. Was this episode really happening in the past? I know the episodes aren't necessarily I'm chronological order, but in LHO they make reference to the leap back. Does that mean that they leaped into the future in TLB and LHO is either the past or the present. Great Scott!