View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #63
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
It wasn't the reading lessons themselves that were significant it was about neglecting the marriage by occupying all of Connie's time and effort with them.

We see that it's successful right out of the gate in the first scene:
"Great. She remembers your article, but she forgets my lunch."

Then once again at the dinner table:

"I am trying to help Jimmy. It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort."
"Yeah, well, you're pushing him too hard."
"Did you read that stuff about the space program I gave you today?"
"Yeah."
"Did you understand it?"
"Gemini VllI had to make an emergency landing. They had a problem with their thrusters."
"That's wonderful! Aren't you proud of him? All we have to do is push him a little more. He's great."
"Yeah, that's right, Connie. And he nearly drove a forklift off the pier today.
He could have killed himself. You know, you're pushing him too hard. You're trying to build up a false confidence."
"I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help."
"Just leave that to the doctor. Your job is supposed to be here taking care of the house. I mean, look at this place! It's a mess."

Yes and not only neglecting the housework, but also neglecting Corey - she didn't give a fat rats where he was at night and Corey even said he believed that his mother didn't love him, and probably neglecting her nightly duties with Frank (if you know what I mean ) which is probably what caused his wandering eye in the first place... Zoe was probably egging her on to at least have one ride though :P

Quote:
I've been considering, was Sam, in fact, sent to counter Alia or perhaps to save her? Remember she was essentially a prisoner of her project, manipulated, tortured into being their puppet. Ergo, her situation was a wrong that needed righting and when their paths crossed, he brought her hope, a chance just as he does to anyone he encounters during a leap.
I don't think so, not at this stage anyway. I expect that Alia had always followed her commands without thinking that there could be another way out, and she definitely hadn't experienced the torture that she was put through after her failure. It was really only after she said that what she experienced was "worse than death" in part 2 that Sam made a plan to free her...