Which Theme Song is your Favorite?

Which Quantum Leap Theme Music is your Favorite?

• Total voters

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
Simply put, which is your favorite theme song. Season 1-4, or the remixed version in Season 5.

At first, mine was the first one, but the second one just grew on me, and I really like the new, more upbeat one.

We did? :eek:

I skimmed over the first two pages looking for a title similar to this. When I didn't find one, I started the thread. :nut

I liked seasons 1-4 better. season 5 doesn't disgust me as much now as it used to, but it is like a dance remix to one of your favorite songs.

oh God another i-pod download of the song...my friend loves the orchestra in the series. and my other friends claim the background music is better than the show! how sad that my friends only watch quantum leap when they miss me. (we live all so far away from another it's the only time we might in spirit be attached to one another.)

I do like them both. The saxophone part of the classic theme is the best. Though, I enjoy listening to the more upbeat fifth season theme more. I feel it is more dramatic, and maybe, it was time to shake up the main theme for the show by then. Season five was already a real distinct change in creative direction with Sam affecting the live of real historical figures, and the entire 'evil leaper' arc. They were also doing more back at PQL & The Waiting Room with Al. Seemed they broadened the shows spectrum of storytelling, and so, the new theme seemed appropriate with this new evolution. Felt like time to step up the game, and really go for broke. Also, I don't get the same feeling watching those episodes as the syndicated versions with the season four theme & opening titles. Most season five episodes felt different than episodes from any previous season. So, a new theme felt right.

-NJM

i generally like the first one more when I consciously think about it. But when I just try to remember the tune, the second one springs to mind, just because it is 'catchier'. I have the same thing with most theme songs that fasten up. So I guess that means I kinda like both. :)

Wow, a lot more "I like them both"s than I thought. Usually, I really dislike the remade versions of theme songs. I didn't care for Who's the Boss?'s season 9 theme, which was just a little different. I actually liked the first Monk theme over the second one. But the season 5 Quantum Leap theme was more appealing to me.

I liked them both...

I liked them both just the same. I liked the change in ALF, too.

i don't like season 5 music.

it is too fast and i feel it alienates me as a viewer.

Many people feel that way (and, certainly, this is not the only show where that has happened), but why is that so? That's what I never understood. How could it "aleniate you as a viewer"? :hmm

Hard question, really. I like S1-4 theme because it's familiar. But I LOVE the addition of the drums in S5. I wish, however, that they'd kept the syncopation from the first version. S5 ends up sounding like half-time at a college football game.

Honest answer is, I'd like a combination of the two: S1-4 theme, but sped up with the kicking drums.

Would you please explain syncopation. I'm musically undereducated. :)

To put it in a few simple words, she meant that the season 5 theme was, well, a little too predictable and unimpressive (the unexpected beats weren't accentuated properly; there wasn't a "twist" at any point, like in the original; she felt like it was all the same boring rhythm; let's say that it just follows a straight line and that's it).

To put it in a few simple words, she meant that the season 5 theme was, well, a little too predictable and unimpressive (the unexpected beats weren't accentuated properly; there wasn't a "twist" at any point, like in the original; she felt like it was all the same boring rhythm; let's say that it just follows a straight line and that's it).

Ah, so in very simple terms its like a certain 'random' quality?
:D thanks for explaining!

Many people feel that way (and, certainly, this is not the only show where that has happened), but why is that so? That's what I never understood. How could it "aleniate you as a viewer"? :hmm

i am not sure why i feel a bit alenated with this music... maybe because it sounds so different to the original.

hard one to answer!

Would you please explain syncopation. I'm musically undereducated. :)
If you listen to the first line of the S1-4 theme, the last two notes are very quick. They are off the beat, on purpose. That's syncopation. In the S5 theme, those two beats seem longer, and have emphasis, because they are on the beat. It sounds boring and "marching band-ish" to me. Otherwise, the S5 theme makes me chair dance, mostly because of the heavy drum use.

If you listen to the first line of the S1-4 theme, the last two notes are very quick. They are off the beat, on purpose. That's syncopation. In the S5 theme, those two beats seem longer, and have emphasis, because they are on the beat. It sounds boring and "marching band-ish" to me. Otherwise, the S5 theme makes me chair dance, mostly because of the heavy drum use.

cool, thanks very much, I'll listen for it.
:)