QL Conventions - Is There Interest?

Katar said:
I don't think there are any Quantum Leap cons anymore. I'd love to go to one, though, if there is one. Some people on this message board talked about organizing a gathering, but I don't think any concrete plans were made.

I'd help with that!! :D If not an actual convention, maybe an Al's Place reunion, lol.

Samantha Beckett

I would really like to attend - too bad I'm in Australia. I don't suppose anyone could send a return ticket? LOL

I'd be willing to try again

Awhile back, I started trying to pull something together, perhaps a general gathering with some virtual interactive capability (e.g. telefeed for those unable to attend...although I don't know enough about computers to make that happen). I also wondered if it would be possible to get someone from the show to make such a virtual appearance (e.g. something akin to a live chat, although having a visual feed would be awesome as well) although I don't know anyone who might be able to make that happen. I sincerely doubt that we could afford any "appearance fees."

Anyways...we're all spread out...all over the place...literally around the world. I had thought it might be nice to meet in Indiana, close to "Sam's birthplace" and since so more live on or close to the east coast. I had found an Elk Ridge Resort which is rather rustic, but has a theatre and such.

http://www.elkridgeresort.net/

Maybe we could have some writers from TVS giving tips on writing FanFic, a mass watching of QL episodes (maybe vote for top 10 and show those), have a BBQ, and a costume contest (dressing as Al or one of Sam's hosts).

I figure at best, a Friday night get-together and all day Saturday event. Then everyone would go back home to whereever they hailed from on Sunday.

Another idea that someone had come up with was a cruise reunion, which would also be fun. Although, most cruises take off from southern locals (e.g. FL, NO, Houston, LA) except for the one's to Alaska (usually Seattle) or Transatlantic (NY). So choosing where and when could be an interesting challange.

As I say...I would be willing to help put something together. Meeting some of the fans from the Scott Bakula Fan Forum in Washington, DC was a blast and I'd love to get to meet some of you guys too!

Al's Place Rocks!

Yessss... a get-together in Indiana would be the greatest thing ever... not too far away, making the bus ride there affordable, and it would be fun!

I'd go, if it's not too soon. I still have to recoup my monetary losses from seeing Shenandoah. I think it would be fun; I've never actually met any QL fans, and I missed out on all those LeapCons. I'd be glad to participate!

It would have to be in the distant future for me as well. Monetary saving, and separating myself from my parents at college. But I would so go if we planned a weekend at Elk Ridge, hehe.

Samantha Beckett

I missed out on all the conventions because I was too young and had no source of income. I'd love it if we started up something, and if it became annual!

Around what time are we thinking of doing this? This year? Later? I'd love it if it was over this summer, but I'll understand if it's not.

I've been thinking about New Mexico. There's Dean's artwork in Taos, the "Quantum Leap building exterior" (University of New Mexico building) in Albuquerque, and the Trinity site in White Sands, where PQL is supposed to have taken place. Helen (asearcher) has informed me that Trinity is only open twice a year (I think), and it will be open the first weekend of October of this year. If I can get plans together, I'll plan on going to New Mexico around that time. Is anyone else interested?

Al The Observer said:
Do Leapers have coventions anymore? If not, why not? If so, where and when?

I'm all for it too. It just need a "kick in the butt" to get started.:whip
And I'm ready to start kicking!
Linda

I like the idea of New Mexico; I just don't have the money for it right now. I like the Indiana idea because that's just a short, affordable bus ride for me and, right now, I don't have much cash. But maybe in October...

I just want to do something.

I'd go to a convention in Indiana or New Mexico. I love the Albuquerque area and have been there a couple of times. Indiana is a lot closer to me but not as exciting, in my opinion. My wife and I have been to a couple of Halloween conventions in Indiana already, though, so we could always head back again. :cheers

Wait... is it just Dean's art that's in New Mexico, or would Dean actually be around somewhere, too? I wouldn't mind being able to meet him; then I could claim to have met the entire cast of Quantum Leap!

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea although for those of us across the pond it would be great if pictures could be taken and posted. Bit too far for me to travel and as i have a 8 1/2 month old baby i don't think i could justify the cost of travelling. If it takes place i hope it's fantastic though!! i'll be there in spirit if not in body.:roflmao:

Kerry

Last edited:
LadyKayoss said:
Wait... is it just Dean's art that's in New Mexico, or would Dean actually be around somewhere, too? I wouldn't mind being able to meet him; then I could claim to have met the entire cast of Quantum Leap!
I'm not sure, but I *think* he's been seen around New Mexico a bit.

LadyKayoss said:
I like the idea of New Mexico; I just don't have the money for it right now. I like the Indiana idea because that's just a short, affordable bus ride for me and, right now, I don't have much cash. But maybe in October...

I just want to do something.

YES!!!!!! :hair I so am there! where ever it is. Ok now that I am done

frecking out! I would have to do the Indiana, I live in Oregon and I too don't have much money, But I know I could start to save and I wold love meeting other QL people too.

May I ask what people do at these things :eek: sorry but I have never been at one before. But I still know I would so enjoy it!

:heybaby Humm...a bus rid or a road trip??? ooooo...sounds like fun!:hurray:

Maybe we could have one in Indiana, and one in New Mexico, so whoever wants to go to Indiana could go to Indiana, and whoever wants to go to New Mexico can go to New Mexico, and whoever wants to go to Indiana and New Mexico can go to Indiana and New Mexico.

Or maybe we could just do a huge party get-together via webcam or something like that so that the non-American fans can still be there in some form.

Indiana: I'm up for this one. It's only a few hours away, so getting there would be no big problem for me.

New Mexico: Except for a quick layover in Houston, I've never really been further west than Chicago, and it's tempting to go there, just to see what it's like. If I have the cash at the time, I mean.

Webcam: I think this is a great idea. It's not fair to the international fans that these places are hard to get to, and it would be fun to make contact with them somehow.

You know, I was just thinking the other day, QL's 20th anniversary is coming up in a few years, and it's doubtful there will be any 'official' conventions. Does anyone else think that we should try to organize something? Something big? With a few years to plan, it seems like we could come up with something, and maybe it'll be enough time for the international fans to make plans to come, too.

This is probably just wistful thinking on my part... I think I've been watching too many video clips of the QL conventions.

Al The Observer said:
Maybe we could have one in Indiana, and one in New Mexico, so whoever wants to go to Indiana could go to Indiana, and whoever wants to go to New Mexico can go to New Mexico, and whoever wants to go to Indiana and New Mexico can go to Indiana and New Mexico.
i have been to Mew Mexcio, Santa Fe to be exact, its great. :)

You know, I was just thinking the other day, QL's 20th anniversary is coming up in a few years, and it's doubtful there will be any 'official' conventions. Does anyone else think that we should try to organize something? Something big? With a few years to plan, it seems like we could come up with something, and maybe it'll be enough time for the international fans to make plans to come, too.

This is probably just wistful thinking on my part... I think I've been watching too many video clips of the QL conventions.

i dont think so, i just barely couldnt even make it to Shanendoha :(

Well, a 20th anniversary bash wouldn't be held for another three years, anyway. Just because you can't get anywhere now doesn't mean you won't be able to go anywhere in three years time...

You know, it may be worthwhile to contact CREATION... I know some people have issues with their conventions, but I thought ELF was done really well.

What is CREATION? It probably would be worth it to contact someone for help; I doubt there are many people here who know how to plan a convention. I sure wouldn't know where to begin.