View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 01:08 PM   #14
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Article 1674:
OK so what about this idea ...

Date: 03/28/2001

that even God(aka Al the Bartender) says that Sam has the ability to go home whenever he wants. Am I right or am I right? This is what I have always maintained. It's just like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. He just needs a pair of ruby slippers.
And another little trick up Bellisario's sleeve was his signature send-off in making the picture of Al leap. I believe this was to offer some hope that...

the Leap would Go On...on and on and on...
especially in keeping with what I've heard of the alternate ending and the drafts for future eps(Al leaping and all).

Just a few juicy tidbits that I gleaned from this ep.

Reply:
That's what I thought...

...that the pic of Al "Leaping" and--this is where the alternate ending comes in--changing to another pic of him, Beth and their daughters was supposed to be a foreshadow of things to come... especially since Al Leaps in the alternate ending, thus both Sam *and* Al Leaping around in *the future* for the sixth season, had the show not been cancelled.

And I think you're idea of ruby slippers is a great analogy!!! I never even thought of that! Maybe if we Leapers were to watch Wizard of Oz then MI again, perhaps we could understand the episode more... there might be some more interesting similarities...

For example, one person wrote an "essay" that compares MI to WOO. That MI was just a dream.

I believe that MI is a dream up to the part when Sam Leaps into Beth's house. This is why characters in the bar had familiar faces and names.... I read that dreams are fueled by events from the day before or recent/current events.

It seems as though while Sam was in-between Leaps, GTFW gave him a dream with familiar faces and names and such as symbols of the good he has done. And Al the Bartender *was* GTFW simply guiding Sam along in the dream...

And the point of the dream was that Sam *could* choose where he could go, and instead of choosing home, he chose to save Al's marriage. The ultimate self-sacrifice. So once Sam realized he could Leap himself (which I think he did by the end of the "dream"), GTFW had made his/her/its point in the dream and Leaped Sam to Beth's house.

Now, the only explanation needed is for the scenes with Al and Gooshie. I think that they were actually looking for Sam, and they were not a part of the dream until Al "locked on" to Sam. This is where it split off. The real Al was still watching images swirl around him, while Sam saw the "dream" Al lock onto him and arrive.

So, that's my explanation, which--by the way--I just came up with as I typed. What do you think?

Keep the Leap!!!!!

Joy C.

Reply:
my two cents....

I shared some of my thoughts in my reply to 1673. Please read them and comment here. I also like the idea of the ruby slippers. I certainly don't understand this ep very well, but tina, you have some really good thoughts. Oh Boy, do we need some closure, or what?! QLL

Reply:
What Likely Will Happen...

The show comes back, Al is the Leaper searching for Sam. Sammy Jo has worked out the Retrieval Program, so he comes and goes as he pleases, searching for "Sam Leads" detected by Ziggy in the timeline. This could be the new premise, at least until Scott is finished with Star Trek, then Al brings him home. Something like that.

Reply:
EXCELLENT idea, Hologram!

Write it in to Universal. They're probably scratching their heads over what to do for a script if Scott gets Star Trek.(ha-ha) I love it, love it, love it. I also enjoyed Tina's explanation of MI, being just a dream(like tha Bob Newhart show). Then they can pretend it never happened! Something we'd like to do as well!!