QL Fanfilm Underway!

We found our Al!!

We found our Al! Yippie! :hurray:

QL-Al.jpg

How will this film be distributed? Will it be released in the cinemas and if so, will it be shown in Australia? If it is going straight to DVD will it be available in Region 4?

It's not being released commercially. It's a fanfilm, and, to my knowledge, will only be shown once, at the QL Convention...

ris768 said:
How will this film be distributed? Will it be released in the cinemas and if so, will it be shown in Australia? If it is going straight to DVD will it be available in Region 4?

To echo Lightning McQueen, we won't be selling DVD's as this is just a fanfilm. Of course, it will be free for all Leapers worldwide on our website after we premiere this at Leapback 2009 in LA of March of 2009! Good question though, but we are sorry.

Sorry for the delay in replying... we were on vacation, and just got back.

Thanks!

CHRIS :)

Here is my newest handlink im building right now... i just finished putting the lights in it... it has now 107 L.E.D lights in it and a potentiometer... of course its not finished because i still have to build my side wall's and cut the pieces for the back panel. ah well, i just figured i would share it with you...

Handlinkelite098.jpg
:hurray: :cheers

Kirok said:
Hi Folks,

Thank you all so much for the kind well wishes and good thoughts. Its been a rough two weeks, but things will get better. Its all about what we make it, and I know Dad would have it no other way. Thank you.

My prop guys have begun on the handlink, and I'm thrilled to share some of their progress with everyone. It was some very good progress to see despite everything going on.

This isn't the final version though as they will be installing lights soon and adding the finishing touches.

@ NeuroMason: Sir, perhaps we can discuss a control panel via e-mail? I'm certainly interested! Here is my e-mail address if you'd like to discuss that.

Thanks again for the very kind sympathies.

Peace,

Chris

Handlink

Hi Everyone,

I finally had the chance to see our handlink today, and took some pictures of our prop. It completely blew me away... the craftmanship and the level of detail and authenticity. WOW!!

My prop guys had the opportunity to meet with Mike Moore, who apparantly knows the prop guy for the actual show, and he had the chance to see our handlink this weekend, and he said it looked even better than the one they used on the show.

Our guys machined and milled these down from special ordered colored acrylic (no resin here folks), and it just looks amazing.

They'll install the LED's before we start shooting on August 8th, and the switch that turns on the lights too. They'll also be adding the brass pins atop the surface of it as well.

Here's some interesting looks at the original prop Mike Moore took pictures of. Its neat to see the slanted buttons and how 'worn' the handlink appears.

Chris :)

Brian,

Feel free to use the handlink pics, sir! No problem at all!

I'll do what I can to get the prop guy... it'll be through three people to get word to him, but I'll try. I wonder if there's a way to send Mark an e-mail through his Flickr account? I'll give that a try.

Always glad to help!

Fantastic!!

:)

We just got the okay from a local acrylic company to fabricate ALL the new acrylic needed to construct our control panel! This means the entire structure will be machined and tailored to our exact specifications… a polished finish, beveled corners and angles, all pre-assembled prior to our finishing color work, which we’ll be using translucent adhesive to get all the colors down right.

Its VERY exciting because our prop and design team have been pushing to use ALL acrylic, but due to budget constraints, we couldn’t afford it. Now, with today’s success, the entire control panel will be all-acrylic. I can’t wait to post photos!!

Chris

Instead of green screen you can get a clean plate (a picture of the scene with no actors for the purpose of effects) with all the objects/furniture in place, then remove them and let Al walk through and interact and do the effect in the computer. You can put little markers on the floor so Al knows what to walk through. Also helpful to take measurements from Al to the camera and furniture items to the camera so you know what to start erasing and when.

I don't know how complicated you want to get. :)

Feldon!

That is EXACTLY how I'm doing it, sir! Wow... funny that we both knew another way!

I'm not a fan of green screen... well, at least in SD. Now HD I haven't experimented much with, but with Star Trek vs. Batman, I had a lot of green screen problems, and swore it all off. LOL These days its hard not to have green screen in any film.

I haven't figured out yet if I'm going to have Al do his scenes seperately, or with Sam yet, but I'll figure that out later. I do know it will be a locked down shot, meaning that the camera won't move during that particular take. Then I'll throw it in After Effects for polishing.

I think these days folks are migrating to orange screen. The hard part, and I have never done it successfully, is fully illuminating the orange screen separately from the actors.

Hey Janine~

No worries about asking... it helps to remind myself of the process as well! :)

The leap effect will be rendered in After Effects, a high end compositing tool that can do a multitude of 3D, animation, and effect shots. Its funny you ask because I watched the special effects video on this site just the other day, and it helped me better understand the exact methods to rendering the leap... there are four layers to it... lightning, blue hue, light trails, and a white rotating contrast/brightness layer (that centers around Sam's eyes). So that was good to watch to refresh my skills!

Please feel free to ask anything! It keeps this thread alive!!

feldon30 said:
I think these days folks are migrating to orange screen. The hard part, and I have never done it successfully, is fully illuminating the orange screen separately from the actors.

Orange? I've never heard of that! Wow!! :hair Is there any URL's with information on that?

To Di For )

I must say, everyone does make a very good point :)

Firstly, it is great to see a new QL movie coming out!

Great stuff Kirok - well done mate :)

Now. I do not mean bad when I say this. So I hope no one takes what I will say the wrong way.

This is just some input and nothing more everyone :)

For myself, there are still questions left unanswered in Mirror Image.

Such as:

- What happens with Project QL after Mirror Image?
- Sam never returns. So what happens with him?
- Is there to Al the bartender than meets the eye?
- Why did Stawpah leap?
- Why did past characters show up in the bar?
- Will Sam ever get back home?

I know it is difficult to please evryone when making a film. Or answer questions. Fair enough.

One of the main reasons I love QL so much is that there are so many questions and not enough answers.

And that makes my brain wander off and ask the sort of questions I did earlier in this comment.

So, my point being, that, it would be good to see questions answered.

Whether it be all questions answered in one film, or many films, I'm not so sure.

:)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that A Leap to Di For will not address any of the issues in Mirror Image but be an episode within the canon of the rest of the QL series.