Convention: Does anyone want to try...?

Lightning McQueenie

Project QL Intern
Dec 8, 2005
Hi all. Since we're planning a Quantum Leap convention for the 20th anniversary, I was wondering if anyone would like to try NOW getting a site prepared where we can all link webcams to, so that anyone who's not able to physically attend can still get the gist of what's going on?

naggindragon said:
Hi all. Since we're planning a Quantum Leap convention for the 20th anniversary, I was wondering if anyone would like to try NOW getting a site prepared where we can all link webcams to, so that anyone who's not able to physically attend can still get the gist of what's going on?

yeah that sounds like a great idea - although id love to come, i live in UK and i get the feeling a trip out to the states may be a lil expensive for me when im 19. . . you never know though

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I probably won't be able to attend depending on the date and location. I also don't have a webcam, whatever that is. :p

Yeah btw, I am already in America and i still probably can't make it. We are not very good on money, we are barely affording my college classes. I want to come though because i missed the other conventions and i wanna see one.

oh and could someone please tell me what a webcam is.

I also would luurrrvveee to come to a convention, but a trip from blighty to the US? No no, I can barely afford the DVD's!!! The webcam option is definately a gogo for me though, i'd be prepared to pay a small fee (around £5 - 10) as an Al's Place donation to join in so if anyone has news on these options let me know.....

oh and could someone please tell me what a webcam is

>>> A webcam is a video link from your computer, like a digital camera that sits on top of your computer and gives a live visual link to you for another computer. You can use them on MSN Messanger (chat service) and they cost around £20 ($35).

Hope that helps!:heybaby

Originally posted by naggindragon Since we're planning a Quantum Leap convention for the 20th anniversary, I was wondering if anyone would like to try NOW getting a site prepared where we can all link webcams to, so that anyone who's not able to physically attend can still get the gist of what's going on?

Do it "now"? The 20th anniversary isn't for almost 3 years.

TessCrazy said:
sorry, that sounded harsh - you're not stupid. forgive me? :)
Ok, thank you. Apology Accepted.:)

and I agree with Carol. If we could wait for another three years Ziggy might give it a higher senario that i will be able to make it. ;) (seriously though).

I meant we should try to set up a site where we could all link up to to watch the webcam of the convention. If we did it now, that means we don't have to worry about doing it 3 years from now when I'm sure there'll be a lot more things to worry about.

alsplacebartender said:
And who says there's even going to be a webcam at the convention?

It's just an idea, for those international fans or anyone else who won't be able to come for various reasons. That way, no one is left out.

And maybe it is a bit early to think about it now, but what if the webcam site featured the occasional behind-the-scenes footage, or periodic updates? It would be interesting to see how things are progressing.

Originally posted by LadyKayoss And maybe it is a bit early to think about it now, but what if the webcam site featured the occasional behind-the-scenes footage, or periodic updates? It would be interesting to see how things are progressing.

Ummm...behind-the-scenes footage and periodic updates from where?

CarolD said:
Ummm...behind-the-scenes footage and periodic updates from where?

I dunno... the convention planning, I guess. *shrugs* I was just trying to think of ways to justify setting up a webcam site early, if someone was going to.

The con planners are all in different cities. So you'd pretty much be looking at one of us sitting at a keyboard typing. :)

Webcam

This might be something to look into. While the entire con couldn't be webcammed, perhaps a portion (or even an appearance or two) could be. It could be a pay for view and thus could help defray the cost of the con itself. I'm not saying it would have to be the main source of money, of course, but a compromise could be a part of it.

Much as I'd give an arm and a leg to attend (or maybe both legs, I need my arms for typing fanfic - lol) I know there is more chance of me winning the Irish lottery (and I don't buy tickets for that!).

So for me, a webcam would be the closest I could hope to get.
I don't have one at the moment, but if it meant I could get to tune in to at least some of the fun you guys are gonna have, I'm sure that in the interim I could save up enough to get one.

Sad thing is - there is £5000 worth of video conferencing kit sitting idle in the room where I work. It has had so little use that the powers that be are talking of selling it - so by the time the convention comes around, I can't even suggest that it would be educational to hook it up and have a group of kids take part! (especially since the time difference means I could well be at work when the interesting stuff is going on). Aww shucks! :banghead

Yes, it's something to be considered. But by "an appearance or two," I assume you mean Scott. :) It's something that would have to be negotiated with him, and/or other actors. It's one thing for them to appear gratis in front of a group of people; another to do a webcam thing that (I assume) could be downloaded, duplicated, and distributed throughout the known world. It's really a lot larger picture to look at than it would seem.

LadyKayoss said:
It's just an idea, for those international fans or anyone else who won't be able to come for various reasons. That way, no one is left out.

And maybe it is a bit early to think about it now, but what if the webcam site featured the occasional behind-the-scenes footage, or periodic updates? It would be interesting to see how things are progressing.

Well I am hoping to be there physically, but not if its anytime soon. And i can't be there by webcam, as i don't have one.

Appearance

Yes, it's something to be considered. But by "an appearance or two," I assume you mean Scott.

That would most likely get you the biggest bang for the buck. However, that was not specifically what I was referring to.

What I'm saying is this. A group of us will come no matter what. The QL thing is enough in itself to figure out a way to get to LA and a con. Hopefully the numbers will be enough to justify having the convention. And the con itself needs to have all the bells and whistles that makes going to *IT* the thing to do.

However, RL sets in for some and no matter that they would dearly LOVE to go, they may not be able to. All I'm saying is, having a webcam that is a feed from one or two of the appearances at the con MAY be a way to have more involvement and to defray the cost of the convention itself. You'd have to do a survey to find out if, for instance, and appearance by some other QL related personality (production person talking about how things were done on the show, author from a book, guest star from one of the shows, writer on the show, etc.) would be a webcam appearance that people would pay for rather than Scott or Dean.

Irregardless of what is chosen, my intentions are to be at the con itself so the webcam idea would not really affect me specifically. I'm just trying to think of my fellow leapers out there who will not be able to be at the con itself. I think it's what Sam would do if he were trying to pull this thing together.

Oh, I agree, Helen, it's definitely something to be considered. But as I said, we have to look at all sides of the issue. What we're mainly concerned with now is how to put warm bodies in seats, because if we don't get enough of those, the event won't happen at all. Webcamming is really a minor consideration, when you come down to it.

As for those who are saying "I don't have a webcam," you don't need one. All you need to view webcam footage that's coming from somewhere else is a computer with an Internet connection.

For those of you saying you can't come... think about it this way. If you saved only $1 per day for the next 30 months, you'd have enough and change to go to a con in LA including hotel, food, and ticket for three days.

$1 per day. Those of you overseas, might be $1.50 a day. $30 to $40 a month, folks. It's possible - you gotta be dedicated though!

Some of you could get a second job and work only 1 day a month to pay for this. Think about it that way! :D

alsplacebartender said:
For those of you saying you can't come... think about it this way. If you saved only $1 per day for the next 30 months, you'd have enough and change to go to a con in LA including hotel, food, and ticket for three days.

$1 per day. Those of you overseas, might be $1.50 a day. $30 to $40 a month, folks. It's possible - you gotta be dedicated though!

Some of you could get a second job and work only 1 day a month to pay for this. Think about it that way! :D

If it was just money - somehow, I'd find a way believe me.
I don't have a passport - there's time to fix that problem too.
But talking my husband into letting me go - Canute had more luck with the tide! (And no - he wouldn't come along too for a holiday. I couldn't even get him back to Wales for a second honeymoon last year on our 25th anniversary.) Trust me - this one is Mission Impossible for me. :'(
And much as I would truly, truly adore to be there - I don't think I can justify sacrificing my marriage to make it. Sorry.

Rl

However, RL sets in for some and no matter that they would dearly LOVE to go, they may not be able to.
What Leaper1 (Helen of Bedford) is saying is the type of thing I meant by RL. As much as some would LOVE to go, there are often things other than money that get in the way.

I certainly believe that money issues in many cases (although not all) can be addressed. But human relationship issues are sometimes more complex. It's not just Helen's situation but others that some have indicated to me in talking with them. Some would not be willing to face the consequences of choosing to go to the Convention. (While unfortunate...it sometimes happens.)

As I've said...you've got this warm body ready, willing and able. I will find a way to get there. But then again, while my husband does not fully understand my affinity to doing things like this, I am very lucky that he is willing to accept that if it's important to me, I should do it. That's one of the reasons I was able to do the Shenandoah trip (not once but twice.) It's one of the reasons I'll be in Vegas in 18 days. I've got a great man and I love him for it.

And...should this Convention be put together...I WILL be in LA in 2009.

Last edited:
really, explain Carol please :)

and Leaper1, are you saying the con will be in LA? because that might work for me. I am only a six hour drive from there, so I might be able to get to a con in LA. since air fare won't be an issue.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
really, explain Carol please :)

and Leaper1, are you saying the con will be in LA? because that might work for me. I am only a six hour drive from there, so I might be able to get to a con in LA. since air fare won't be an issue.

Think of it as being like your TV. A TV show is filmed with a camera, and you watch it on your TV. To view a TV show, you don't need a camera, just the TV set.

For a webcam broadcast, the person at the site needs a camera (connected to a computer). To view the footage, you don't need a camera, just the computer. Does that make sense?

Here's a sample webcam - it's for Mount St. Helen's.
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

If you go to that webpage, you'll see live footage from Mount St. Helen's. You just watch it on your computer monitor.

Yes, the con would be in Los Angeles.

Hope that helps!

Carol