Her Charm

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Her Charm
September 26, 1973

Boston, Massachusetts ? The Berkshires

As an FBI agent protecting a very annoying yet beautiful woman (Dana), Sam must protect her from being killed by a jealous criminal, Nick, who will stop at nothing. However, there is an inside man tipping Nick off to the whereabouts of Dana. But who is it?

Teleplay by: Deborah Pratt & Donald P. Bellisario
Story by: Paul M. Belous & Robert Wolterstorff and Deborah Pratt & Donald P. Bellisario
Directed by: Christopher T. Welch

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all let me clarify my identity. I used to be(actually still am) "RayBeckett" a global user. That was before Damon pointed out to me that I could still use "RossBeckett" as a global sn. I am very sorry for any confusion. Okay, so back to my review:

I thought this was an excellent episode because I loved how we went through almost the entire episode thinking that the guy in the waiting room was a good guy until near the end Dana sees "the matchbox" that gives away his real identity. And to have Sam killing Nick; great move! I think this episode is in 3rd place next to Lee Harvey Oswald(second) and Mirror Image.

~Steve(aka ROSSbeckett)
:D

I found this episode a little bit more then Avarage.So it's good enough for me to say the episode was good,especially because i really liked the end- when we hear that Dana merried Sam's prof' ,and just before Sam's leaping the prof. Arrives and Sam trying to tell him he's Sam Beckett but before he's telling him his name he's leaping out...

Very good episode. Loved the interaction between Sam and Dana. It was almost as if Donald had written all the Sam dialogue and Deborah all the Dana one. They acted like a true couple, even though they were not. My favorite part was after Nicky dies: His watchdog picks him up and tells him "why di'n't you LISTEN to me?!" and then goes away with the body in his arms. Powerfull stuff. Another favorite line from the watchdog: "Gramma's are old 'cause they're smart!" Liked that guy a lot, even if he was on the wrong side.

The character of Nicky himself was a bit over-the-top at times, which made him funny and not menacing at all (you're obviously able to tell his destiny from miles away) and for some reason I was never too crazy about the whole "she's gonna marry profesor LoNigro" stuff, but otherwise it was a good and very entertaining story, even if the suspense fails a little.

My rating: Good.

Why did this episode have different clips/different order during the theme song?

At some point didn't they change the clips, etc. that played during the opening theme? Maybe this is the episode where that happened. I believe on both the DVDs and Netflix the early episodes have a very different opening. When Scott Bakula's name flashes across the screen it's over a still from 'Play It Again, Seymour'. In the later montage it's over a still from the episode 'Justice'.

At some point didn't they change the clips, etc. that played during the opening theme? Maybe this is the episode where that happened. I believe on both the DVDs and Netflix the early episodes have a very different opening. When Scott Bakula's name flashes across the screen it's over a still from 'Play It Again, Seymour'. In the later montage it's over a still from the episode 'Justice'.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was this one. But for some reason, it only occurs in this one >_<

Excellent episode. Very suspenseful, keeps you wondering until almost the very end. I love how Al had such a big part in helping Sam right before and at the climax. The urgency in his voice when he's telling Sam to shoot Nick was very well played. Also the bit with Nick's (friend?) (father?) sadly carrying his body away.

I didn't really get the point of Dana ending up marrying the professor, though. That was kinda "out there."

Oh, and Sam's host's watch? I have one just like it. Got it probably when QL was in its original run. :D

I found the tone in this one didn't work for me... it was too dramatic to be a comedy, yet too jokey/romantic to be a drama. Watchable stuff, but more of an average Leap.

I found the tone in this one didn't work for me... it was too dramatic to be a comedy, yet too jokey/romantic to be a drama. Watchable stuff, but more of an average Leap.

That may be because this episode had to be rewritten several times and have input from four different writers to become filmable. Too many cooks spoil the broth after all...

That may be because this episode had to be rewritten several times and have input from four different writers to become filmable. Too many cooks spoil the broth after all...

That's very true. I did enjoy it, it was a nice twist with the revelation of who was in league with Nick, but I think a better episode would have made that really dramatic.

What I couldn't get my head round was Sam, knowing that Nick was coming to kill them, still took time out to make a pass.

Fun enough episode, but I think it had the potential to be much better.

This is one of my very favourite episodes from season 2. In fact, it's not too far away from top 10 episodes of all time material. I can tell by looking at the ratings so far that this is a pretty divisive episode. I enjoy the episode a great deal largely thanks to Teri Austin as Dana. She's one of my favourite characters ever to appear on the show. She's snarky, sassy and tough, yet still displays a lot of vulnerabilities underneath it all. A character like that will always tread the line between being annoying or very entertaining, and thanks to Teri Austin, she comes across very well.

The whole subplot regarding Professor LoNigro is interesting. In many ways it probably doesn't fit in the story (especially that ending scene where Sam totally forgets the rules of time travelling), but I think it actually works really well. It's always good when we get more information regarding our two main characters, and knowing that Sam had help in coming up with the string theory is very interesting to me.

The only gripe I have with the episode is the two villains. I actually felt a bit sorry for the older one, having to deal with psycho Nick. I don't know if it's the actor's fault or if the writing was solely to blame, but Nick came across a little like a cartoon villain at times, especially so towards the end. It's hard to imagine the guy ever managing to avoid being convicted in the past. Shooting a machine gun in the middle of the street? A little OTT.

My rating. Excellent. A brilliant episode with a great female co-lead.