View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
bluedana
Accelerator Technician

Sorry if I misread your question. Let me give it another shot, because I think it's very interesting.

Quote:
Ok so if they are so sure that God is controlling Sam's leaping and not the project than why do they need to follow the project's rules? They shouldn't apply if God is the one in control of Sam. So if God thinks that its ok for Sam to alter his own or Al's history than he should be able to. Sam only made his rules because he thought he would be in control.
Why do they need to follow the project's rules? They shouldn't apply if God is the one in control of Sam. In my opinion, GTFW is in control of Sam's leaps, but Sam is in control of Sam. The rules transcend anything Sam intended as a project. They're ethical rules and it would be very hard not to get kind of drunk with the power of changing history unless you had some bedrock principle to pull you back. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It would be the same if GTFW said, Here's this incredible power, use it wisely in the situations I put you in. And Sam says, Wow, I'd better have some rules so I don't mess this up. The fact that Sam isn't the one directing the leaps doesn't mean that he doesn't still need those rules. They keep Sam from flying off into chaos. He's not having conversations with GTFW (at least, not two-way convos) but he knows that following the rules is a formula that works.

Unless you mean to say that God's rules are basically the same as the project rules. We see that GTFW's rules at least overlap Sam's project rules: as long as Sam doesn't go too far off the reservation, GTFW lets him do what he needs (and usually what he wants) to do. In Leap Back II, GTFW lets him ignore the rules, and there's a very high price and a hard lesson for Sam. Perhaps GTFW commandeered Sam's Project because Sam's rules coincided nicely with GTFW's purposes.

So if God thinks that its ok for Sam to alter his own or Al's history than he should be able to. The problem, though, is that he won't know when altering his or Al's own history is okay, and when it's not, until he sees the result. Better to refrain from making that kind of decision and let GTFW present the opportunity. The one example I can think of is in Future Boy. GTFW gave Sam the benefit of altering his own future (inspiring himself with Captain Galaxy's string theory) in conjunction with Sam completing his mission and saving Mo's life. (I won't go into the paradox, because I don't understand it!)

I hope that's closer to the discussion you were expecting.

(by the way, I don't get the observation theory either, SBF - if they weren't planning on switching bodies or auras or something, why would they need a Waiting Room?)