View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #18
aussietrekker
PQL Visitor

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days before the con...I get all my cheap deals through Expedia, they're excellent. Hotels at Vegas are currently going for a pittance, it's worth checking out. Hotwire is also good for last-minute deals, especially the "mystery" hotels.
I am going on a tour to Area 51 (well as far as the perimeter fence anyway)...that's my main reason for going to Las Vegas, and I want to see Barry Manilow. I was deprived the last time, as he was getting his knees done the following week, and only sang one song before hobbling off.

Your mate is right about Santa Monica. If you get a day pass on the Blue Bus, (dirt cheap it is) it gets you up and down the coast to Malibu and other places. There is a fantastic Mexican restaurant on the edge of Santa Monica pier, and another good surfie-type restaurant which opens after 4pm. The blue bus line will also take you to LAX.
If you want to do shopping at Macy's, go up to reception and ask for an International discount card, it gives 15% to overseas visitors.