(#5.17) Goodbye Norma Jean

Term180

Project QL Intern
Oct 23, 2007
Virginia
www.angelfire.com
I don't understand- in the original history, Marilyn Monroe doesn't accept the offer from the girl who would wind up stealing her part in The Misfits, but when Sam leapt in, and convinced Marilyn to let the girl stay- he had to fix that which he had changed..

But, why leap him there in the first place, then?
If in the original history Marilyn made the movie, why would he have to leap in, to first change history so that she doesn't make the movie, then fix his own mistake, so that she could be in the film?

There's a combination of things. I believe his original mission was to prevent her death. It was then complicated when he unknowingly changed history...for the worse...leaving him with that mess to undo as well...and that's the quick, over-simplified response.

Term180 said:
I don't understand- in the original history, Marilyn Monroe doesn't accept the offer from the girl who would wind up stealing her part in The Misfits, but when Sam leapt in, and convinced Marilyn to let the girl stay- he had to fix that which he had changed..

But, why leap him there in the first place, then?
If in the original history Marilyn made the movie, why would he have to leap in, to first change history so that she doesn't make the movie, then fix his own mistake, so that she could be in the film?

I asked this same question a while ago and Julia said that they had Sam's task be to create the real live history. In real life she managed to make the movie but for the sake of giving Sam a task they wrote that she had not originally. much like they did for LHO. As for the helper woman that tried to steal her role I don't watch the ep as its not one of my favorites so I am not sure what was going on with that.

;) Thanks for asking that question, I have always wondered about that too. Why did Sam leap into Marilyn, in the original history she finished the picture anyway and then not save her...why even leap into her...but now I understand if he had not brought barabara into the equation he might have had a chance to save her..very confusing!!!:hair "Goodbye Norma Jean" is still one of my favorite eppy's!:dreaming

And just to ad something else to in to this.Al said to sam that he leapt in to that man, so he could help marylin to finish her movie and aparently to save her life.
But at the end of the episode al told sam that marylin eventually finished her movie, but she died 2 years later.SO Why the heck sam leapt 2 years earlier before marylins death?:hair and if Al takes all the info he gets from his handlink, which those info comes from ziggy,and which ziggy receives them from god,then would it be possible, that God ...made a mistake?:banghead :banghead

Let me see if I can simplify what I was trying to explain. As established in the episode "Lee Harvey Oswold", Sam did not leap from the same reality we now live in. One can almost say that by leaping, Sam is creating the reality we live in.

In the reality that Sam was from, Marilyn Monroe died in 1960. In our reality she died in 1962. So, intially Sam's mission was to prevent that death in 1960. He does that but, unwittingly, he's thrown a monkey wrench into things by introducing Barbara to the mix. That brings a second phase to Sam's mission - making sure Marilyn goes on to complete the movie the Misfits. By accomplishing both of these objectives, Sam has now created a history that matches the universe we live in.

As far as the data that Al gets from the handlink, that's coming from Ziggy who has been programmed with a database of events from Sam's lifetime. One can safely assume that as Sam's effecting changes in the past, Ziggy's database is also changing to reflect that past and, thus, that information can be relayed to Sam.

The only mistake that was really made in this leap was Sam's inadverent introduction of Barbara into the mix. However, Ziggy didn't have the information necessary to convey that until after Sam had aborted the premature death of Marilyn.

Last edited:
Actually he was there to prevent the death in 1960.

And he didn't leap into Marilyn, he leapt into her gophur guy.

jmoniz said:
Let me see if I can simplify what I was trying to explain. As established in the episode "Lee Harvey Oswold", Sam did not leap from the same reality we now live in. One can almost say that by leaping, Sam is creating the reality we live in.

In the reality that Sam was from, Marilyn Monroe died in 1960. In our reality she died in 1962. So, intially Sam's mission was to prevent that death in 1960. He does that but, unwittingly, he's thrown a monkey wrench into things by introducing Barbara to the mix. That brings a second phase to Sam's mission - making sure Marilyn goes on to complete the movie the Misfits. By accomplishing both of these objectives, Sam has now created a history that matches the universe we live in.

As far as the data that Al gets from the handlink, that's coming from Ziggy who has been programmed with a database of events from Sam's lifetime. One can safely assume that as Sam's effecting changes in the past, Ziggy's database is also changing to reflect that past and, thus, that information can be relayed to Sam.

The only mistake that was really made in this leap was Sam's inadverent introduction of Barbara into the mix. However, Ziggy didn't have the information necessary to convey that until after Sam had aborted the premature death of Marilyn.
Right, The Film was not orignally an issue she managed to make it in Sam's original reality just as she did in real life and Sam's only task was to extend her life by two years but then he also jeopardized the film when he made the mistake of allowing Barbara into the picture. So the writers made up a reality in which the film did not get made so that Sam has to make sure it does to match real life.

The comparision to LHO since I was not clear before and not everyone knows their history; is that in reality Jackie Kennedy was not killed in the assination but the writers wrote that she was in the world Sam was born into and leaping from so that he needs to save her and match real life.

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
Right, The Film was not orignally an issue she managed to make it in Sam's original reality just as she did in real life

Actually, in Sam's original reality, Marilyn Monroe never finished "The Misfits" since she died in April 1960 - before the movie was completed. If she had completed "The Misfits" in Sam's original reality, then there would have been no purpose for him to leap into her life since there would be no death to prevent in 1960.

edited to correct typo

Last edited:
jmoniz said:
Actually, in Sam's original reality, Marilyn Monroe didn't never finished "The Misfits" since she died in April 1960 - before the movie was completed. If she had completed "The Misfits" in Sam's original reality, then there would have been no purpose for him to leap into her life since there would be no death to prevent in 1960.
Oh right ok I see. Well than what about the repeat of the Edie incident where she ODs and he has to walk with her to keep her heart going. Was that not what Sam needed to do to extend her life for those two years? Meaning that he would have accomplished that mission but could not leap because Barbara threatened the film?