View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

I've really been enjoying reading your reviews of the episodes, Donofrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donofrio_QLTD View Post
Two-dimensional characters at best, especially the aunt, the policeman and the bad guy. They all become funny after a little while, when they're not able to bring you the emotions they were originally intended to (but not quite funny, either).
Word on the two-dimensionality of the characters. The leap-in moment is amusing, with Sam realizing where he is, but that's the only positive thing I can say about this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donofrio_QLTD View Post
Another thing I didn't like was that the ending was quite predictable, and the solution was just hmmm... too simple. You end up wondering why they took so long to figure it out that way. And then the little "let's-keep-it-light" follow up: "He ended up in the loony bin. Never bothered anyone." Said by Al after the little trick they pulled on the bad guy so he could leave the girl alone. That little resolution was like something written by a newbie or something; like for a fanfic, even , I don't know.

Didn't care much for the girl, either. She just kept making bad mistakes and never took real responsability for any of them. I was supposed to feel bad for her and for the aunt, too, but they never accomplished more than an "oh yeah, well..." from me. The classic Paul Brown cliche, that everyone in the 60's, especially girls like those, were all dumb and defenseless.
Unfortunately this is part of the problem of trying to deal with the subject of domestic abuse in a 45-minute television episode. In any fictional setting really, but TV is the most difficult due to the stringent amount of time (unless it's done in multiple parts). There are a lot of specific reasons why women in this situation -- and men too, men can be victims of domestic violence -- do things that may seem stupid or like bad decisions from the outside. It's very complex and unless the writer is really really good and knows the subject it's pretty much impossible to do this justice, particularly in a TV episode that's less than an hour. The fact that they were also trying to mix up the mood too much didn't help and I'm in the minority I guess but I hated the leap out part, especially when juxtaposed with the rest of what was going on in the episode.