Round Robin Story A

Sam left to go into the kitchen, leaving Anthony alone with his thoughts. All Sam hoped for was that there actually was a job out there for him. After all, if Mr. Bulyamia called back and said that there were no job openings, then this could turn ugly, fast.

Sam could see Al out of the corner of his eye, as he went appeared in the kitchen.

"Al, did I change history?" Sam asked.

Al looked at his handlink, and then back at Sam. "Uh, you did, but not as much as you would have liked too. You children still die, you still get divorced, and Fred Bulyamia still ends up going to prison."

I figure there always exists many problems before the end of the leap, and we still haven't gotten to the climax yet.

"Does he get the job?" Sam asked, hoping the situation wouldn't turn ugly.

"It's not enough," Al reluctantly said.

"If I were to get a job would it help?" Sam asked.

Al shrugged, "It might. But Sam, you need to think about other options."

"What do I do?"

Al paused, "Listen to your heart Sam. Only you know what is best for the children."

Indeed. If there wasn't enough conflict it would make for a rather dull story. The nice thing is all of us can make this story as long as we want.

Sam paused for a moment, letting Al's reflective words sink in. One of the indicators that he was making progress in a leap was when Al began to act seriously. Surly, he was close to solving this.

"Alright, then," Sam asserted, talking to no one in particular. "I need to solve this problem, and hopefully before Anthony finds out that the job won't make ends meet. If I try to get a job at the moment, then he'll wonder why, and then things might get ugly, fast."

Al waited patiently. In many leaps, Sam and Al had to think quickly to solve the problem. In this leap, they had some time to think, without the pressure.

As Sam was trying to think, he looked out the window, to see the neighbor, Mrs. Rico, walking up to the door.

I have no idea at present how to end this. Of course, that means that the story is very good. Erroywn, since I don't think you around when this story was started, Mrs. Rico is the neighbor who babysits Matina's children. You probably read the story up to this point, but just in case...

Not to disclude you, Crow.

Last edited:
Mrs. Rico looked surprised that the door had been opened before she had the chance to knock. Her hand was raised and almost found herself knocking on the air. In her free arm she carried a small canvas bag.

"Hello Mrs. Rico," Sam said good naturedly.

"Hello Matina, I was wondering how you were feeling?" Mrs. Rico said.

"I'm doing as well as can be expected. The babies haven't been too active today."

Mrs. Rico chuckled at that, "I suppose that's a good thing then."

Sam smiled politely at Mrs. Rico and motioned for her to come inside. "I just finished cleaning up. What can I do for you?"

"I came over to see if you were all right and if you'd like to have some tea?"

"Some tea sounds good," Sam agreed. He started to go get some cups when Mrs. Rico told him to sit down.

Mrs. Rico went about the kitchen gathering up everything she needed. Sam made mental notes on where everything was so he wouldn't forget.

Sam began to consider bouncing the idea of him getting a part time job off Mrs. Rico's head. Maybe she could help him find a way to get it past Anthony without him pitching a fit. He decided to announce his decision, "I've been thinking about getting a part time job to help make ends meet until the babies arrive."

Mrs. Rico placed her canvas bag on the table and looked at Sam. "How does Anthony feel about this?"

Sam shrugged, "I haven't told him yet."

"Matina, you know he won't like it."

"We need the money."

Mrs. Rico pulled out a chair and sat down. She took Sam's hand in her hands and looked him in the eyes. "Matina, honey, you better tread lightly about this issue. You know what pride Anthony has."

"I don't want to take away his pride," Sam said. "But he might have to swallow his pride. We don't have the money and we have to think of our children. I want my babies to have the best chance in life."

Mrs. Rico took a deep breath and let it out. "We'll discuss this over tea. Aren't you curious in what I have in my bag?"

"What?" Sam asked.

"Cookies. Guess what kind?"

"Oatmeal?" Sam asked, semi-hopeful.

"Chocolate chip."

"Ooooo!" Sam's eyes lit up. Perhaps he could find some room in his stomach for a chocolate chip cookie or two.

Thanks OhBoy. I've flipped through the pages so it's fresh in my mind for now...at least until my mind wanders off again. I think one of these days it'll wander off and not come back. ;)

Since we are on the 96th post, I'm hoping that the 100th post is a document that contains the story up to this point, so anyone who is new can reference the story right from the fifth page. I guess I'll have some copying/pasting to do. Unless someone would like to surprise me the document. :cheers

Mrs Rico got out two plate, and put a couple cookies on each plate, although she left some in the bag, presumably for the rest of the family. Next, she sat down in the dining room, with Sam across from her.

Sam could see, looking in Mrs. Rico's eyes, what a kind person she was. The lady, as Sam could see, was nice, but at the same time she would probably be brutally honest. The perfect people to have helping me in leaps, Sam thought.

"What kind of job were you considering?"

"I don't know. Whatever I can find, I guess," Sam responded.

Mrs. Rico frowned as she sipped her tea. "With Anthony losing his job like that, he probably won't like you working instead of him."

It hit Sam that he forgot to tell her that he found him a job. It wasn't guaranteed that Mr. Bulyamia would find one for Anthony, but the prediction that Al made was good enough for Sam.

"I suppose I didn't mention this yet. The twin's adoptive father works in human resources at an insurance company, and said that he would find my husband a job there."

Mrs. Rico smiled at that. "That's great. I'd worry about how much he makes, and see if it will make ends meet, before trying to get a job yourself."

Sam nodded. "It also won't hurt to keep my eyes open in case a job does come along. I am hoping this new job will make ends meet but just in case..." Sam took a bite of the cookie and smiled, "These are good."

"You always say that," Mrs. Rico said.

"They're always good," Sam said with a grin.

On a side note, we've gotten over 1000 views on this thread. Someone besides the ones who post here (I'm including you, Aurora), most be reading this. Thank you! :bow

Sam finished the cookie, and took a sip of the tea. Mrs. Rico was obviously a good cook, to make such moist, warm, gooey, chocolate chips.

As Sam placed down his cup, Matina's children all ran in, one of them crying.

"Mommy," the youngest one cried, "Alex stole my ball and won't give it back!"

"It's my ball! I had it first!" Alex yelled.

"No!" The middle child screamed. "I had it, and Samantha took it!"

As the bickering got worse, Sam didn't know what to do. He was never a parent, let alone a mother, and didn't quite have the edge on how to handle squabbling children.

Mrs. Rico stood up, and looked at all three of them. "Children, please, settle down." Mrs. Rico then looked Alex straight in the eye. "Alex, did you take the ball from Samantha?"

"No, Mrs. Rico."

Mrs. Rico then looked at Samantha. "Sam, did you take the ball from Jimmy?"

"No."

Finally, Mrs. Rico looked at Jimmy. "Jimmy, did you steal the ball from Sam or Alex?"

"No, ma'am."

"Then if neither of you stole the ball from each other, why are you mad. I'll tell you what, why don't you play a game together. If I hear anymore complaints about the ball not being shared, I'm going to see it your mother takes it away. Understand?"

"Yes, Mrs. Rico."

The children left, much happier than they came in. Sam was impressed.

"Wow. You really are good with the children!" Sam said in awe.

"Six? That's quite a family," Sam said. He could never imagine himself being a parent to six children. "How do you manage it?"

"One day at a time," Mrs. Rico said. "Once the oldest children are big enough I often enlisted them to help their younger siblings."

"Have you ever considered opening a daycare?" Sam asked.

"Me a daycare? Heavens no. Though it might provide a bit of income for Howard and I," Mrs. Rico said.

"Howard?" Sam asked.

"Yes, my husband and I wanted a little extra spending money. After bills, we just don't have a lot to spare."

"Thank you, Matina. I'll consider what you said. Now, no more talk about money or business. How's the tea?"

"Delicious, as always." Sam replied.

For the next twenty minutes, Sam and Mrs. Rico talked about more shallow topics, and Sam was more than happy for Mrs. Rico to do most of the talking, considering that Sam wasn't fully aware of the happenings of the 1950s. Finally, Mrs. Rico made Sam promise to save some of the cookies for the rest of the family, and then, after goodbyes, was on her way.

"Did you have a nice tea party?" Al asked, appearing suddenly.

"Al, run this through Ziggy. What if Mrs. Rico and I... I mean Matina, open up a day care together?"

Al reluctantly began to push buttons on his handlink. "Sam, I don't think that's very likely... Whoa." Al stopped, a look of disbelief on his face.

"Whoa?" Sam repeated. "Is that a good 'whoa' or a bad 'whoa'?"

"It does help children," Al remarked. "Actually, it helps quite a few children..."

"That's great, Al. Maybe, with Anthony's job and Matina's day care work, they'll have enough to make it."

Al clicked on his handlink. "It says here that yes, they should be able to."

Sam was excited he solved his problem and should be able to leap. "Well, Al, I guess this is it."

Al looked back at his handlink, and then at Sam. "Uh, don't get excited yet, Sam. Did you forget that you still have to help the Bulyamias?"

As soon as Al spoke, the telephone rang. Sam went over to pick to pick it up.

Giving Al a small smile Sam was convinced it would be good news. Picking up the phone reciever he said, "Hello?"

"Hello, Mrs. Golbeze?" The male voice on the other side of the line said.

"Yes."

"It's Mr. Bulyamia, listen, I may have been able to find a small job for your husband. It isn't full time and the pay isn't the best but..."

"It can't hurt to talk to him," Sam insisted.

"Anthony! Phone!" Sam called. Anthony immediately walked out of the other room, and over to where Sam was. "It's about that job I told you about," Sam whispered, holding his hand over the receiver. Anthony took the phone, smiling in gratitude to his wife before he did.

Sam waited while Anthony and Mr. Bulyamia talked on the phone, discussing the conversation. It appeared to be going well, and at the end, Sam could hear Anthony accepting his new position. Right before Anthony was about to say goodbye, Sam walked over.

"Could I talk to Mr. Bulyamia for a moment?" Sam asked.

"Sure," Anthony responded, handing the phone to Sam.

"Mr. Bulyamia?"

"Matina?" he responded.

"You mentioned in the interview at the adoption agent's house that you were moving. How large is your old house?"

"About three bedrooms, two bath, with two stories? Why, you thinking of moving?" Mr. Bulyamia said, laughing at the end.

"No, it's about a daycare idea my neighbor and I had," Sam replied.

Wow i havent replied to this for a while. Keep going you guys..your doing great :) And 1000 views..might have something to do with me checking tis 3 times a day lol

Yes, come and join in our fun!

Sam gave Anthony a cheerful smile despite the man's frown.

"We'll talk more about it tomorrow," Sam said into the phone. "Bye."

"What is this about a daycare?" Anthony demanded. His voice sounded more harsh than he meant it to.

I'll tell this to anybody who is thinking of contributing. I've been on this website for almost half a year, and I can say that nobody will make fun of a story contribution. Especially the usual writers. So if you want to contribute, don't hesitate. I already love seeing the creativness that everyone else brings to the story.

Sam knew he would have to play around this issue quite tactfully, if he wanted to avoid a fight.

"You see, Mrs. Rico and I were just toying with the idea of starting a daycare, and I just wanted to check out Mr. Bulyamia's old home for fun," Sam explained.

"Why? I just got a good job. You don't need to work!" Anthony yelled. Sam really hoped the children were still outside and didn't have to listen to this.

"Why can't I work? I can do it while the children are in school and you're at work," Sam asked, keeping his voice level but firm.

"So you're saying I can't provide for my own family now!" Anthony yelled louder, taking a step towards Sam. "That because I hurt my arm and have to work at some desk job, I'm not as valuable!"

As Sam was about to say something, Anthony took another step forward. He was still a few paces away, far enough that he couldn't hit Sam at this distance, but still close enough that his anger was getting dangerous.

"You don't plan on adopting away those twins, do you? That's why you want the extra money, isn't it?"

Sam took a step back. "Of course not!" He protested, "I want to help! I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this to try to help people."

Anthony was thrown off for a second. It was obvious that he never really thought of the issue beyond the scope of finances.

"You really just want to help people? You're not doing this so you can be the better provider?" Anthony asked, a frown still on his face. Sam was making leeway with him, but he still had to be careful how he worded things.

"No, I just think that setting up a daycare would be a good idea. You would still be the main provider, my pay would just help out a little. Besides, Mrs. Rico will be the one in charge, I'll just be helping her," Sam added.

Sam couldn't tell what Anthony was thinking. He was still frowning, but he didn't look like he wanted to lunge at Sam anymore.

"Is this really what you want to do?" Anthony asked.

"I don't ever want to take your place," Sam slowly said. "I want to help you, Mrs. Rico, and others. I only want to make the world a better place."

Everyone now, together. -Awwwwwwww!- :) Nice story guys. Very touching. And no..i dont really wanna help write it lol..im a terrible writer.