View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #12
JuliaM
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
I do NOT like this episode and so far it wins the award for absolute only episode that my second chance method did not work on. As many people said above serious plot problems because I could not see what Sam's purpose there was, I think it was mentioned that it was something about her last movie but I could swear Sam had said in his narroration that he had seen it so it obviously got made without his help.
This has come up before. The Monroe movie that Sam mentions is "Some Like It Hot" (1959). The last movie Marilyn Monroe completed (the one she is shooting in this episode) is "The Misfits" (1961).

I believe that the purpose of Sam's leap is to ensure that that movie is made and that Marilyn stars in it. It might not seem like such a big deal but "The Misfits" was the last movie that not only Marilyn Monroe completed but also Clark Gable who died two weeks after completion of "The Misfits". Both Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable are American movie icons. Gable was Monroe's childhood movie star hero. The fact that they completed this movie together is a "big" thing. As a matter of fact, it's the only Marilyn Monroe movie I own (though I've yet to watch it).

There were, however, some real "liberties" taken with this episode that are hard to reconcile with actual events. First, "The Misfits" was filmed in Nevada (and the cast stayed in Nevada during the filming), not California.

Secondly, at the time of the leap, April 1960, Marilyn was still married to playwrite Arthur Miller although their marriage has fallen apart and would lead to divorce (January 1961). However, no mention of Arthur Miller or their marriage is made (to my knowledge). Incidentally, "The Misfits" was written by Arthur Miller as a Valentine gift for his wife.