View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
JuliaM
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snish
I think they had just started rehearsals for "The Misfits" in the episode. Perhaps they did some rehearsing in California before they went on location. Having cast and crew on location is expensive, and studios generally want to minimize the time they spend there.
I just did a little more research and found out that pricipal production on "The Misfits" began in July 1960. However, beginning in mid-February 1960 Marilyn began production of the movie "Let's Make Love". Production of this movie was delayed due to strikes by SAG and then the Screen Writer's Guild.

The SAG strike begin on March 9 and ended on April 9. The time frame of "Goodbye Norma Jean" would fall in this period. I don't believe any kind of production of a movie would have been undertaken (which would explain why "Let's Make Love" isn't mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snish
It's a little harder to see how they get around mentioning Arthur Miller, but if he and Marilyn were separated, I can imagine that she might not mention him at all, and she wouldn't want to discuss it with her chauffeur or her new assistant. Sam would probably forget that detail, and Al has chosen not to bring it up.

See, we can explain it all away.
Arthur Miller was living on the east coast at this point but they really weren't "separated". The other thing that's hard to get around was that during the filming of "Let's Make Love", Marilyn had an affair with her co-star Yves Montand. The affair lasted until after the completion of "Let's Make Love" when Montand broke it off. Since production of "Let's Make Love" was interrupted by the SAG strike that didn't end until April 9, Marilyn would have still been involved in her affiar with Montand at this point. Again, something she probably wouldn't discuss with her chauffer but Montand would have been a person showing up in her life in the time period the episode covers.

Oddly, despite these plot holes and not adhering history I do enjoy this episode for the reasons Bluedana has pointed out. The script does a fine job of showing the human side of Marilyn Monroe instead of just the Hollywood starlet, sex symbol that she's usually portrayed as.