Its been a month since the Con!!!

Hard to imagine huh?

My Quantum Leap buzz from the convention is starting to wear off. What do I do now?

What I do to keep the feeling is watch lots of episodes of Quantum Leap, pour over my photos, tell everyone I meet about the convention, buy all 4 seasons of Star Trek Enterprise, watch Scott on every show I can and plan to go to London Film and Comic Con.

I had the problem tonight of Scott starring in 2 shows at the same time; Murphy Brown season 6 was starting tonight on one channel and Star Trek Enterprise on another! Luckily Quantum Leap is on the same channel as Star Trek so they will never clash.

Yes I been watching Scott's Chuck Episodes.

I been thinking of reading one of the novels. I read a few when they first came out. So there are many I never read. Not sure which to start with though. Same goes with the fan fiction, there is so much to choose from.

With the novels... there's no particular order to read, I think. It depends on which story you wanna read.
There's the Prelude, which tells the story of how Project QL came to be, right to the moment Sam steps into the Xccelerator.
There's Angels Unaware - the story about Tersa (the little girl from "Another Mother" - the part Debbrah's girl played) which all you need to know is (well, mostly) the episode with Tersa & Angelita.
There are more (of cours) but a. I haven't read them yet, so no opinion & b. I'm sure they all go in the same lines... without a significant order to one another - since they most were written by different authors.

Well, I would definitely recommend "Pulitzer" and "Angels Unaware," both written by L. Elizabeth Storm. In my opinion, she was probably the best author of the bunch. I also like "Search and Rescue" by Melissa Crandall and "Double or Nothing" by C.J. Henderson. My personal favorite is "Foreknowledge" by Christopher DeFilippis. That novel was one of the inspirations behind one of my Virtual Seasons ideas.

I discovered another way to keep the feeling. When the bartender lied sticker became available I went LeapBack souvenir shopping.

What a buzz to come home to my parcel today!

If you want to do Orlando, I can do a little research for you later this month. I'm going to a convention in WDW.

The only way to have lots of guests be able to attend and still be financially viable is to have it where they live - L.A. You might get three or four in Orlando, but you would have to pay their expenses - gets very expensive very fast.
That makes sense.

britannic,

With all due respect, THIS was your chance to see Quantum Leap folks. It seems unlikely that this number of celebrities involved with the show will be put back together again, and certainly not in Florida. Again hate to break your heart but you are being rather persistent. I would have put that persistence to use by flying or driving to L.A.

We had folks travel from 11 countries including New Zealand, England, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and Deborah gets a chance to do more QL and/or Bellisario either lets her or does his own QL which would possibly drum up enough interest to do another QL con in 5 years.

He said that there is a box set of Quantum Leap DVDs in the pipeline and that he tried to get Universal to have those DVDs ready for the Convention.

One can hope that all the music will be restored.

He said that there is a box set of Quantum Leap DVDs in the pipeline and that he tried to get Universal to have those DVDs ready for the Convention.

One can hope that all the music will be restored.

Would be cool to have another definitive set. Even better if you'd be able to get it in HD.

Releasing Quantum Leap in High Definition is certainly possible based on what my eyes tell me when watching some of the DVDs. Namely that it was shot on film. The overall look, lighting, and film grain which are evident in many scenes.

The High Definition question is... was Quantum Leap edited on video or edited on film?

Law & Order was always shot AND edited in film, through traditional splicing techniques. As a result, it was a piece of cake to convert the shows into High Definition 15 years after they'd been filmed. They just took the final cut and telecined it into the computer.

On the other hand, and disappointingly, Star Trek: The Next Generation was shot on 35mm film, but the negatives were digitized into the computer and then editing and effects were all done in the computer at Standard Definition. As a result, producing high definition masters of Star Trek TNG would require a laborious (and expensive) process of going back to the 35mm negatives, recapturing all of the relevant pieces into the computer in High Definition, and basically rebuilding each episode from the ground up, not to mention re-producing all of the special effects in High Definition.

In short, I just don't see Paramount putting in the effort for this. The Original Series of Star Trek was shot and edited on film. All of the effects were practical and optical effects (no computers). As a result, it financially feasible to release Star Trek TOS in High Definition.

If I'd thought of this question, I would have asked Jay Schwartz at the convention.

It was most likely edited on video like most of Sci-Fi series of the time with visual effects. You can tell when you see effects shots of Al moving through objects that the footage is fuzzier than the rest.

Of course I hope I am wrong on that.

I know the effects were done in video effects. The leap effect in particular was done on a Quantel Paintbox, which was a standalone computer. I think 5th season transitioned to fully computer effects, as there is a distinct difference in how the leaps look. The animated lightning is very crisp and sharp compared to the softer lines of the past.

But it's still up in the air whether the episodes themselves (~1% of each episode has effects) were edited on film or on computer. If they were edited on film, then high definition DVDs (Blu-Ray) are certainly feasible. I suppose we could all live with the effects not being re-done/upgraded? Although it would be even more jarring on a large screen TV when Al is walking through something.