Sam's fear of heights

RManstooth

Project QL Intern
Feb 25, 2008
In "Leaping Without a Net" we are reminded of Sam's fear of heights However, in the first episode, there is no mention of his fear as he rides in the plane. Thoughts?

It could just be what was on his mind. When he was doing the trapeze jumps, he was more aware of falling, since his purpose was not to fall. However, in the airplane, he was more occupied with making sure that the test was a success and not crashing (I believe that was the problem). I think that his problem was large enough to temporarily dispel his fear of heights. Then again, I have no background on that form of psychology, so this is just a guess.

RManstooth said:
In "Leaping Without a Net" we are reminded of Sam's fear of heights However, in the first episode, there is no mention of his fear as he rides in the plane. Thoughts?

As someone who has the rare combination of a fear of heights and claustrophobia, (albeit only mildly) you would think that flying would be my ultimate nightmare, yet I used to love it!

Put me on the top of a ladder and I'm a basket case, but there isn't the same awareness of being precariously perched when you are in a plane.

Maybe his swiss-cheese brain forgot he was afraid of heights but as the years go by and with each episode he regains some more of his memory, by the time we get to "Leaping in without a Net", Sam has remembered he was afraid of heights.

leaper1 said:
Put me on the top of a ladder and I'm a basket case, but there isn't the same awareness of being precariously perched when you are in a plane.

I am the exact same way, leaper1 - I think I have more of a fear of FALLING than a fear of heights. I'm cool with being in a plane, or driving in the mountains or being up in just about any relatively enclosed high spot, but ladders, and even stairs that don't have backs to them give me the willies. I'm also not nuts about things like old fashioned Ferris Wheels that are just a bench and bar. :hair

Long story short (too late! I know!!!) maybe Sam's fear of heights is similar.