View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #46
wakkanne
Waiting Room Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Ha, it's true I can dissect something to death and I bet Bellisario would most certainly shake his head at my posts in particular and ask why on earth I care so much in what form Sam is leaping. But here's the thing, how much I think into concepts of a fandom is actually how you can tell how into it I am. It may sound strange but that's just how I roll.

The scientifics of the project were not what was important to him, he even says as much in 'Another Time, Another Place' in regards to Ziggy's gender in The Leap Back contradicting the prior references. That he didn't care but offered that if fans must have an in-story explanation let it be that Sam in his swiss-cheese state forgot that Ziggy is female and Al went along with that to prevent confusion. What he meant to project with the show is a man with a huge caring heart touching people's lives and changing them for them for the better. This is what made the first four seasons of the show so reaching.
There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something, especially if it's something you love. But Quantum Leap is so full of vague generalities when it comes to the "science" behind it. Sometimes we have to take a page from Bellisario's book and just enjoy it for what it is. And what it is, is exactly what you described and what I was thinking this morning before I read your reply: Quantum Leap is a wonderful character-driven story about a sweet, kindhearted man who travels in time and helps people. And that is something we can all agree on.

It's funny you should mention Ziggy's "gender". That's another one where I feel it's up to the fanfiction writer to decide whether Ziggy is referred to as "he" or "she". Since Bellisario didn't mind either way, I'm not going to split hairs over it either. In fact, I like to poke fun and make light of all the show's inconsistencies... For example, in my story, Leap to the Future, Sam Leaps into a twelve year old boy named Jonathan. Towards the end of the story, back at the project, Al introduces Jonathan to Ziggy. After some dialogue is exchanged, Jonathan, says, as kids will do, "I have a question... Why do you call Ziggy a he when he sounds like a girl?" Al looks at him and shrugs, "Hm, good point." The story, conceived in the fall of 1992, has a Leap date in April 1992 and is supposed to take place between seasons 4 and 5. So, if you then look at the rest of the series, Ziggy is from then on referred to as a "she". Maybe Al took Jonathan's advice?

That made me think of something else... Because Bellisario liked to often change his mind like that, it would be just like him to shake things up. If there was ever a new series or a movie, he might decide, "Oh maybe Sam was Leaping mentally after all..." Just saying, I wouldn't put it past him.