View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #29
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Alright but she went to that party in the first place because of Barbara and Sam hired Barbara. It was implied she wasn't originally hired. Thus wouldn't she not have attended the party originally? Or at least that's how my best friend and I read it.

Or if I am incorrect and she still would have attended the party without Barbara, two alternate scenarios were at play with her having died at the party:
1.) Sam is not present and Marilyn Monroe never hires Barbara --> The Misfits never exists because it ceases production when she dies.
2.) Sam hired Barbara --> Barbara cons her way into the lead female role which I assume GTFW considers a faulty scenario because the film was less successful this way and/or with the film Marilyn had made a more memorable exit.
And as a side note in either of these, the film was never retitled 'The Misfits' because that was Marilyn's suggestion (via Sam).

As you stated in your last post, the events of this episode really are difficult to follow.
I expect that Marilyn would have gone to the party even without Barbara. Whatever PA she chooses would have told her about it.

As for the rest - in the original history either the Misfits wouldn't exist because there was no Marilyn to star in it, or it existed under an entirely different name (remember it was Marilyn who insisted on the title "The Misfits") with a completely different actress. Barbara would not have been the lead actress, as she needed Marilyn's connections for the interview.

Barbara was just an extra hurdle that GTFW chucked into the mix, probably because it was her almost stealing the role that made Marilyn want to do it.