My idea for a screenplay

ChickenStu

Project QL Intern
Nov 8, 2005
I used to have an ambition of going into screenwriting. This has changed over the recent years, as now I want to be a novelist. However, one idea I was kicking around was an idea for a sequel to Quantum Leap, which I wanted to write and then send to Donald P. Bellisario. I will outline the basic premise and idea of it. It was called:

"Quantum Leap: Secondary Phase"

This new story begins ten years after the end of the episode "Mirror Image". Sam Beckett has been missing all this time. Al's job is now harder, as he can't always find Sam anymore. Sam now controls where he leaps by sheer force of will, and doesn't replace anyone in history. Therefore the waiting room is constantly empty.
At the start of the story, PQL is changed into a military operation rather than a government one, much to Al's chagrin, as he feels the project will be taken over and wrestled from his control.
The main character of the story is Jack Hall, an ex special forces operative who is promoted to Colonel after extreme bravery on duty. He is sent to PQL with a distinct mission. To investigate the dissapearance of Sam Beckett, find him, and bring him back.
Hall with Al and Sammy Jo-Fuller's help tracks down Beckett's wherabouts, and against Al's advice, he decides to step into the Quantum Leap accelerator, to talk to Beckett face to face. He awakens in the year 1965 with a seriously swiss cheesed memory. All he can remember are three words "Find Sam Beckett".
However, Sammy Jo Fuller (Sam's secret daughter) appears to him as a hologram and explains that before he can get to Sam, Ziggy says the Jack has to do something else first, and make sure a young teenage mother's baby is delivered succesfully. He then realises he's leaped into the girl's boyfriend.
Hall does as he's told and completes this little mission, however when he does, a smiling Sam Beckett appears from nowhere.
Hall is astonished to discover that Sam Beckett is no longer completely human. He has become a non-corpoarial entity who now thinks of time like a playground.
Hall implores Sam Beckett to return home with him, but Beckett reveals he doesn't want to anymore. He then touches Hall and once he does, Hall begins to leap out instantly. He awakens in the waiting room, and is shocked to discover that Dr Beckett has sent him home. Hall is unhappy, because he feels he's failed his mission.
He insists on walking back into the accelerator to have another try. Ziggy warns him that they won't be able to bring him back this time, that he'll be stuck leaping around in time for a while. Hall says he intends to fulfill his mission no matter what the cost. The story ends with him once again stepping into the accelerator, and vanishing. Al says "The secondary phase has begun..."

So that's it. The basic story. Sets up a new series quite well I think. Jack Hall is a very different character to Sam Beckett. Whereas Beckett was an idealistic scientist who begun leaping accidentally after testing his machine, Jack Hall is a Colonel, who steps into the accelerator to complete a mission.
As the show progresses, he'd leap around just like Sam, righting wrongs and so forth. The idea was that Beckett would show up occasionally (like in "mythology" episodes) to help, or seek help from Jack. Sammy Jo would appear to Jack as a hologram. Al, like Sam, would be a guest character.
Further episodes would reveal more Evil Leapers, and we find out that this is the reason Sam never leaves, cause he knows these guys are around, always trying to undo the good he's done.
That's the basic idea. What the sci-fi channel are doing probably doesn't resemble this at all, but I thought you guys would still find it interesting!

I think your idea is really interesting. However, the premise is too different from what the original QL used to be, and that wont sit well with the original fandom. I would watch, but I don't think the masses will. I once entertained the thought of being a screen writer/novelist/author too, now I'm focusing more on being in front of the camera ;).

From what I've read here and on other sites, the premise of the new movie goes like this. I think its like 10 years (maybe 15) after Mirror Image, and no contact has been made with Sam since then. His daugher Sammy Jo from the Trilogy eps is working at PQL (which Al states to Sam in QL-I cant remember what ep). She is heading the "Retrieve Sam" brigade and she then begins leaping to find him in time, having Al as her Observer. Scott Bakula will only make a brief cameo in the movie (maybe 15 minutes?), and if a series is spun off from it (God willing...), he will do the same every couple eps.

I just want to know when it comes out!!! :banghead

Samantha Beckett

The general premise is the same, it's the characters that are different. It's still Quantum Leap. just with different people doing it, with a slightly different agenda. Come to think of it, I don't really think it does sound that much different from this Bold Leap Forward thing they are supposed to be doing...

Samantha_Beckett said:
From what I've read here and on other sites, the premise of the new movie goes like this. I think its like 10 years (maybe 15) after Mirror Image, and no contact has been made with Sam since then. His daugher Sammy Jo from the Trilogy eps is working at PQL (which Al states to Sam in QL-I cant remember what ep). She is heading the "Retrieve Sam" brigade and she then begins leaping to find him in time, having Al as her Observer. Scott Bakula will only make a brief cameo in the movie (maybe 15 minutes?), and if a series is spun off from it (God willing...), he will do the same every couple eps.

Just to update this, this information was based on the Trey Callaway script, which has been recently scrapped for not being "up to par." I suppose this means the whole thing is once again back to the drawing board. When and if a new script is written, I still have a feeling that Sammy Jo will remain as the main star with Al being the Observer. I also suspect it will still take place in the present day, too. The only thing I'm wondering is if Sammy Jo will be in her 30s like she's supposed to, or if they'll make up some ridiculous set of circumstances to have her in her 20s.

Scrapped? Back to the drawing board? :banghead Man, when will this come out now? I really do hope it'll be Sammy Jo with Al. Stu, I see what you're saying. I was just thinking that with the whole Army general thing (who are usually all strict, and "I am Army, hear me roar"), would be too much of a change from the kinda of person we fell in love with in Sam. I liked your idea!

Samantha Beckett

Well, the reason I was thinking about an Army character who was different to Sam was very deliberate. My idea for Jack Hall is he's a bit cold and heartless at the start, but gets a little warmer as things progress. It's a little arc in the show, him finding his humanity. I kind of imagine him like Ben Browder's character in Stargate SG-1. Actually, thinking about it... if I was casting it he'd probably be my top choice.

I don't like Star Trek at all, however I get the feeling that each new series is succesful becuase the Captains are all different from one another in many ways.
I didn't want my QL idea to be EXACTLY like the original. It's the little differences that keep spin-offs interesting.

I mean, Sam Beckett is a character you love straight away. I thought it would be interesting to have a character who you learn to love. Someone a bit distant, a bit tortured, maybe with a certain degree of self loathing. I think it would be interesting to see.

Last edited:
I understand what ChickenStu is saying and personally I like it a whole lot better than what was originally penned for the spin-off.

ChickenStu is right, for Quantum Leap to survive, it cannot be a carbon copy of the original. True, Sammi-Jo was supposed to replace Sam Beckett. All they are doing there is changing the gender of the leaper. Sammi-Jo's idealts and morals, in theory, are the same as her father Sam's.

I like the idea of having a leaper who is far removed from Sam Beckett. Someone who is tortured, unlike Sam who wants to help society. This would be a fresh new bringing for Quantum Leap, bringing in new fans. It will also keep old fans interested with the reintroduction of Sam and Al in various episodes.

Well Done ChickenStu, this idea has won me over.

Thank you Ziggysego. I think Sammy Jo's character would be better as the hologram. Her finding out that Sam Beckett is actually her father could be a major arc based episode for mid third season or something.

You know what? I've read thru this a couple times and the idea is beginning to grow on me :D. I do think that having a tortured soul (kinda like Al, so we'd be keeping that consistent) who we're not supposed to like in the beginning, would be a fresh start to QL. You've made me jump the fence! :D

Samantha Beckett

I liked the idea... in many ways it reminds me of the screenplay idea I tossed around with the Radio Vingenette about Al and Tom (Sam's brother now alive) working together at Project: Quantum Leap, and actually bumping heads...

The tortured soul bit has been done and done... not dissin' anybody's idea, but that's sort of like the "O'Neil" character on SG-1 (not to mention all the other characters on that show and the spinoff that had their own demons and warmed up as they were dramatically investigated in later episodes)... A 90s and 00s methodology in modern storytelling (Novel, TV, or Movie format - doesn't matter) is to try to either understand our enemies, or de-demonize them to where we can at least "deal" with them.

Quite frankly, it's an idea that's chewed up and reused over and over, but with "new twists or ideas"...

I love the concept of Sam as no longer human. As much as I'd HATE it, it makes perfect sense with the ending of "Mirror Image".

I think it's something where you could really push the boundaries. I thought there could be a story where he ends up in the Gulf war as a soldier. You find out that he actually fought in the Gulf before he got involved with PQL. Out in Iraq he decides to disobey his direct mission from Ziggy and attempts to actually assassinate Saddam Hussein, and go after certain Iraqi soldiers who killed some of his comrades. Sammy Jo and Al both try to stop him but he won't listen, and in the end Sam Beckett has to arrive and talk him out of it.
This could be kind of like the Leap Home stories, where it's personal to the lead. But whereas Sam uses the chance to try and save his family, Jack goes to seek revenge.
That's the kind of character I want him to be.

And by the way, I wouldn't say Sam is "no longer human", just not "completely human". He is still human, he is still mortal, he's just not quite normal. I'd say it's down to extreme psychic abilities.

Samantha_Beckett said:
I think your idea is really interesting. However, the premise is too different from what the original QL used to be, and that wont sit well with the original fandom. I would watch, but I don't think the masses will. I once entertained the thought of being a screen writer/novelist/author too, now I'm focusing more on being in front of the camera ;).

I just want to know when it comes out!!! :banghead

Samantha Beckett

i agree with this old Samantha statement on your idea, chickenstu, its too far from the real Ql and Sam is too out of charactor, remember in mirror image, Sam cried because he wanted to go home, but then decided to save Al and Beth instead?

as for the new series starring Sammy Jo, it does not sound appealing to me, although i will prbably be forced to watch it becasue my best friend will, so i might actully find i like it, that happens to me a lot.

i think this idea is well thought out and very well imagined. i would love to see episodes when sam was using time as a playground, extremely fun idea. thinking of that reminds me where sam and al switched places and sam found himself playfully running through al, "Revenge is mine, thus sayeth the hologram!" (The Leap Back). it would be excellent if the plot involved al and sammy jo to (secretly) take back project quantum leap from the military.(i was thinking the evil leapers could have sprung from the military to bring on the end of the world). i love seeing pure scifi/fantasy going deeper into the scifi/fantasy realm. from what i understand they were going to leap sam into a cartoon on season 6 but it never happened. so, imagination keeps the story going. there will be many veiws on quantum leap as i have mine and others have theirs. some might want to keep the story the way it was, there's also some that don't care to have quantum leap continued (as the other shows that have been brought back these days were made into garbage).

i would love to read more takes on this as i'm a big quantum leap fan and would heavily enjoy reading more of this idea (maybe in an episode or 2). ;)

keep writing Chickenstu. :hat

Perhaps using time as his "playground" was the wrong way to put it. He just leaps where and when he wants, and does whatever he pleases. He's still a good guy, he still helps people.

Origonally posted by A Leaping Ball of String
i would love to read more takes on this as i'm a big quantum leap fan and would heavily enjoy reading more of this idea (maybe in an episode or 2).

You should check out The Virtual Seasons. It continues the Leap from where the show left off.It starts at season 6 and right now, it is airing season 12.

http://http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/virtualseasons/main/main.html

Gee, Tom, you're starting to become as bad as Greg (DeadZoneLeaper) was when he constantly plugged the "Project Liberty" arc last season. Could it be because you have a pretty major 3-episode "mini-arc" coming up in March that leads into an even bigger arc that will shake things up in a major way? ;) :p

Damon

I don't think he is using the term "playground" in a derogatory way. Think of it in this way...remember when u were in elementary school? You probably had several playgrounds on ur school grounds as I did. Imagine you are the only kid there at the playground. You have the freedom to choose to do or go wherever you want to on it. You choose to slide down the slide, you do it. You choose to go across the monkey bars, you do that next. Sam now understands that he has the freedom of choice in his leaping. Time is a "playground" to Sam in the sense that he has the choice of where he wants to go.

Samantha Beckett

jmellissa said:
Sorry to say this but I think I am a bit confused? I have seen Mirror Image, but I think I'm missing it.

ok well in Mirror image Sam sheds tears as he tells Al that he wants to go home, but he cant becasue he has a wrong to right first and then leaps. so he still wants to go home just as bad as he ever did, but he chooses to stay for a while and do more good becasue he knows now that if he wants to go home he just as to (in a manner of speaking hehe) tap his heels together three times and say "theres no place like home".

samantha_beckett said:
I don't think he is using the term "playground" in a derogatory way. Think of it in this way...remember when u were in elementary school? You probably had several playgrounds on ur school grounds as I did. Imagine you are the only kid there at the playground. You have the freedom to choose to do or go wherever you want to on it. You choose to slide down the slide, you do it. You choose to go across the monkey bars, you do that next. Sam now understands that he has the freedom of choice in his leaping. Time is a "playground" to Sam in the sense that he has the choice of where he wants to go.

Samantha Beckett

well than he should have explained that becasue i can understand that anaylisis but he did not explian that and as we have established there are two different ways to define "using time as a playground".

and thank you for that trip down memory lane, i loved my elementary school, both of them in fact becasue i had to move schools for forth and fifth grade.

SamBeckettfann said:
ok well in Mirror image Sam sheds tears as he tells Al that he wants to go home, but he cant becasue he has a wrong to right first and then leaps. so he still wants to go home just as bad as he ever did, but he chooses to stay for a while and do more good becasue he knows now that if he wants to go home he just as to (in a manner of speaking hehe) tap his heels together three times and say "theres no place like home".

well than he should have explained that becasue i can understand that anaylisis but he did not explian that and as we have established there are two different ways to define "using time as a playground".

and thank you for that trip down memory lane, i loved my elementary school, both of them in fact becasue i had to move schools for forth and fifth grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_beckett

Samantha Beckett

Well thank you too the both of you. That clares things up for me. what a thought...getting to go when and where you want to (in time). But why does Sam stay then. is it cuz he knows he can go home anytime or the thought of all the bads that need to be made right???? that has alway got me. Sam is not thinking of himself. and why did "God" need to tell him?

jmellissa said:
Well thank you too the both of you. That clares things up for me. what a thought...getting to go when and where you want to (in time). But why does Sam stay then. is it cuz he knows he can go home anytime or the thought of all the bads that need to be made right???? that has alway got me. Sam is not thinking of himself. and why did "God" need to tell him?

Exactly. This has been discussed in large detail at the thread Mirror Image (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1994&highlight=Mirror+Image+Questions), but basically, Sam knows that he can go home any time he wants, but he will always have one more thing to do first (as he said in the episode to the Bartender--right before he leaped to tell Beth about Al).

Samantha Beckett

I love your idea but Im just the kind of person who finds one thing and sticks to it. I dont think I would be able to handle a new leaper other then Sam!! I mean it took me forever to get sold on excepting the fact Sammy Jo was my new leaper, I cant handle it!! And with Al only being a guest star!! Come on! I LOVE HIM! If he isnt one of the main characters i would DIE!! Thats perrty much the only reason I was going to watch the QL: a bold leap forward! But as long as maybe there is a chance of Sam getting home Ill watch anything they throw at me!

*Al'sChick*