Major Advice needed Re: April 1-7

Bexter

Project QL Intern
Mar 13, 2007
Western Australia
www.myspace.com
Hi all, I need some advice regarding my holiday, I am arriving March 23rdish and leaving April 7ish and have plans from March 23-April 1. However from April 1-7, I have no idea what I am doing, where I am staying and basically have left it very late to organise. My travel agent is pissed off with me because I have left it all so late, however I have been rather preoccupied the last 6 months with my life turning to to sh*t.

So, I've decided to wing it. Not make any plans and just see what happens. Had a vague Idea about catching the train to Las Vegas, checking into a moderately priced hotel there, checking out some local attractions for a few days and them coming back to LA or taking a bus somewhere else with the intention of being back in LA in plenty of time to get my flight home. Here's what I need to know

1. Am I crazy
2. If I travel around in daylight, catch cabs and be careful will I be safe, or will I still be mugged, raped, pillaged and left for dead.
3 Is there anyone else hanging around in LA for that time, what are they doing and can I join them
4. Is all the scary stuff I see on TV about america true or is it overated or underated

Thats a few questions to start with, any advice would be appreciated.

2. If I travel around in daylight, catch cabs and be careful will I be safe, or will I still be mugged, raped, pillaged and left for dead. .

:lol:bow:roflmao:
Good question, BTW

3. Is there anyone else hanging around in LA for that time, what are they doing and can I join them

I'm plan to hang around till April 3rd, in which time I'd catch a plane in the morning to NY.
On March 30th I plan to a nearby (very cheap) hostel with a rommie, but he plans to leave on April 1st, so you can move in with me till I move out.
I don't think I'll leave for Vegas, as it would be expensive for me & I have another 4 days in NY (& the Con would probably suck most of my money anyways).
If you'd like, I'd love to think of things to do together.
As This is my first time in LA, I'm sure there are plenty of things to do there (like Disneyworld) that I would love to do with another person, rather than alone.

email me: ivanovaisg.d AT gmail.com

Vered

1. No you are not crazy.
2. Yes travel in daylight.
3. No you cannot hang with me! HA!
4. Is all the scary stuff I hear about Australia true or is it overrated or underrated?

Personally I would not live anywhere else in the world. This is from experience. I honestly don't think you should travel alone and that is in ANY country. I WOULD go to Vegas tho. That's a sound plan and Vegas has a lot to offer. Too bad you can't get a car. Or can you? If you train it there, stay on THE STRIP, not OFF the strip. Vegas could keep you busy for a few days. Get a bus trip out to HOOVER DAM and try one of those GRAND CANYON tours you can find in the mags in the hotel room.

I used to go to Vegas 4 times a year because I loved to gamble. I'm pretty familiar with the place. I still strongly advise getting a travel partner, just because it is the most common sense thing to do. It's not safe to travel ANYWHERE by yourself these days so whatever you've heard about my country is both true and false. STOP watching TV (silly foreigners).

One week to puddle around is a long time when alone. I've done it in Europe but wasn't crazy about it. That kind of visual history is not here in my country and DEFINITELY NOT in LA.

Other suggestions: SAN DIEGO or north to SAN FRANCISCO or MONTEREY.

Let's hope you find someone and YES your travel agent was right.

4. Is all the scary stuff I see on TV about america true or is it overated or underated

A large majority of the country is a warm and friendly place. But any large city will have neighborhoods that you really should stay out of (LA definitely does). One thing you can do, anywhere you're staying, is to ask the hotel clerks where to go and where not to go. When I visited New Orleans a few years ago, the hotel people made sure we knew which areas to stay away from. (That was Before Katrina. Some areas were notorious then.) So just ask the locals.

Good advice Snish. I get a bit defensive about my country all the time. I've been in tough neighborhoods in Germany, Prague, Venice and Paris. I know how to talk myself out of a fight (but actually LOVE to fight) and think my countries' exportation of television, music (especially MTV) has warped the mind of the common visitor. Although some factors are true, there is no difference (in my experience) between violence here and violence in other countries.

I hate it when a foreigner comes up to me and says "My Brotha!" (where's my gun?).

<actually I hate it when ANYBODY does it.....................except MY brother!>

I was traveling around in the south west of the states with one more person for a month with a vague plan for the route (also to make sure you'll make it back to your plane in time) and a rental car. That was a lot of fun too. There's plenty of motels all over like in Australia and I haven't run into any mad people trying to annihalate us. Then again we probably stayed clear of bad neighborhoods (as I would in any country).

Vegas is fun and affordable (expecially if you don't gamble :) ) the Grand Canyon was amazing but there's a lot of nice places all over.

That was my experience, hope it's useful :)

added:
Oh, if you're a trekkie;

there is a Star Trek Hilton in Las Vegas. it just started up when I was there , so it must be even more cool now. Check for prices for more than one night they tend to be really affordable!

1.4. Is all the scary stuff I hear about Australia true or is it overrated or underrated?

You are so funny Marc!!

If the scary stuff in Australia you are referring to is man eating sharks and crocodiles, spiders and snakes that can kill you 10 times over and jelly fish that will have you screaming in pain even when you are unconcious then yes..... it's all true and has actually been very underrated!!:roflmao:

Bring a warm jacket to Las Vegas, though.
Why? In case you need to go Indoors.
Yep, indoors, you won't believe how cold they set their aircons.
:)
Caught a nasty cold.

Bring a warm jacket to Las Vegas, though.
Why? In case you need to go Indoors.
Yep, indoors, you won't believe how cold they set their aircons.
:)
Caught a nasty cold.

Bad news- the Hilton Star Trek Experience closed down last September. It is supposed to be reopening elsewhere in Vegas but I don't know where or when.:banghead

Bad news- the Hilton Star Trek Experience closed down last September. It is supposed to be reopening elsewhere in Vegas but I don't know where or when.:banghead

Oh no!:(
Let's hope they really do reopen it. I mean they should. They would
be missing out on plenty of customers!

Oh what a bummer about the star trek thingy, but never mind, i'm sure there will be heaps to do there, i've heard it's really good value if you don't gamble... and i don't. I also had a lovely email from my friend, who's scary face you can see below in my sig, telling me to go to Santa Monica and that I'd love it, I think I'll take his advice.

Definitely check out Las Vegas.

The big thing about Las Vegas is the numerous shows including several permanent Cirque de Soleil shows. These shows are as good as you've heard (I've seen 3 in Houston).

Star Trek: The Experience is moving to a different hotel, but probably won't be open in time for you to see it.

Be aware that Las Vegas is going through a huge construction boom. The last time I was there (2003) there were a couple of buildings being put up on the Las Vegas Strip. Now they've got about 25 construction projects underway.

Bex, I've been in California from North (San Francisco) to South (San Diego) and back for 15 days and 5000 kms with a rented car and people there are the most quiet drivers I've ever seen :eek
And it's a french driver who's talking :cheers

And it's a french driver who's talking :cheers

Having been to France, and experiencing the traffic around the Arc d'triumph, even a quiet driver compared to the french would still be scary :lol... but i know what you mean. Generally I've been advised that am about to experience some wonderful people and have a lovely time. I am really looking forward to it and can't wait to meet everyone.

I drove in downtown Paris twice and went around the Arc de Triomphe. I thought it was a hoot. That is intense driving, just like a video game. ;)

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days before the con...I get all my cheap deals through Expedia, they're excellent. Hotels at Vegas are currently going for a pittance, it's worth checking out. Hotwire is also good for last-minute deals, especially the "mystery" hotels.
I am going on a tour to Area 51 (well as far as the perimeter fence anyway)...that's my main reason for going to Las Vegas, and I want to see Barry Manilow. I was deprived the last time, as he was getting his knees done the following week, and only sang one song before hobbling off.

Your mate is right about Santa Monica. If you get a day pass on the Blue Bus, (dirt cheap it is) it gets you up and down the coast to Malibu and other places. There is a fantastic Mexican restaurant on the edge of Santa Monica pier, and another good surfie-type restaurant which opens after 4pm. The blue bus line will also take you to LAX.
If you want to do shopping at Macy's, go up to reception and ask for an International discount card, it gives 15% to overseas visitors.

Your mate is right about Santa Monica. If you get a day pass on the Blue Bus, (dirt cheap it is) it gets you up and down the coast to Malibu and other places. There is a fantastic Mexican restaurant on the edge of Santa Monica pier, and another good surfie-type restaurant which opens after 4pm. The blue bus line will also take you to LAX.
If you want to do shopping at Macy's, go up to reception and ask for an International discount card, it gives 15% to overseas visitors.

Thanks so much for this advice, I'm thinking I'm going to head to Santa Monica on the 3rd April, stay in a hotel near the pier and head back 6th or 7th to catch my plane back to Aus. If ANYONE wishes to join me for all or a few of the days in Santa Monica then let me know. And I just love Mexican food. :hurray:

Aw bummer,I leave for Oz on April 2. I'm pottering around Santa Monica etc. on the Monday-Wednesday, if that's any use. Santa Monica Hotels aren't the most economical, but I stayed once at the Hotel Carmel, it was the best priced and only a few minutes' walk to the Pier. It's a small older-style hotel, no frills but the location is great.
My preference this trip is to have 3 nights at an airport hotel, and just bus it down to the beaches. I'm saving a fortune. Today I took out a 3-star mystery hotel with Hotwire. $59 a night plus taxes, and I ended up with the Holiday Inn, so I'm very happy. It has a free shuttle to LAX, being within it's perimeter. If you stay elsewhere, even releatively close like Santa Monica, you may expect up to $25 each way.
My stepmother has just advised me that she has rellies near the airport-looks like I'll be making First Contact with them at some stage during those 3 days...that'll be interesting.
If you go to that Mexican restaurant, bring a HUGE appetite, and skip the entrees.:hurray:
Thanks so much for this advice, I'm thinking I'm going to head to Santa Monica on the 3rd April, stay in a hotel near the pier and head back 6th or 7th to catch my plane back to Aus. If ANYONE wishes to join me for all or a few of the days in Santa Monica then let me know. And I just love Mexican food. :hurray: