Bold Leap Forward ???? Good Title ????

Z

ziggycowan

Will they stick with this as the title if it is made, i for one hope not, i think as a title it sucks, heck i would rather have QL the next generation.

If it is just the name of the tv movie i may be able to live with it, but if it is also the name of the series.....god no....it sounds soooo corny.

Just plain QL for me

The TV movie does need a subtitle, so what else could it be

I've mentioned before that i'd like the series to be called "Quantum Leap: Re-Genesis" or "Quantum Leap: Regenerated' or 'Quantum Leap: Resurgence'. Maybe just 'Leaper' or 'Quantum Leaper' would do.

Sure 'Re-Genesis' isn't actually a word, but it's similar to 'regenerated' and is a play on the pilot episode "Genesis" I guess i can coin the word to mean 'rebirth, to come to life again, a new beginning'. Plus they all kind of have the word 'gene' in them which has a subtle reference to Sammy Jo being a biological relative of Sam and therefore the reason she leaps & can see Al (?)

In any regard i think it does needs to have the words 'Quantum Leap' in it but it needs to be able to be differentiated from the original series, but 'Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward' is just a little too long and i agree 'Bold Leap Forward' does sound a little corny - like it would have the tag line 'One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' (ha!) Hey, how 'bout 'Sammy-Jo's Wacky Adventures in Time'

The last thing I'm concerned about with this upcoming telefilm is its title. I'm worried about the script writing, continuity, Scott Bakula's availablity, etc. In my opinion, there's nothing really wrong with the title. Actually, if you think about it, no matter what the movie would be called, there would be people that hate the title. "Quantum Leap: The Next Generation" is just absolutely terrible. That title has already been taken!

When naming anything, the last thing the creators want is a problem with trademark names or copyright infringement. It's best to not even bother going anywhere near there and come up with something totally fresh. At least the new title is somewhat original whether people view it as cheesy or not. The only thing is it appears a bit ambiguous because it sounds like its taking Quantum Leap into the future, when it will probably be taking place in the past. I have to say though, I'm liking that idea "Quantum Leap: Re-Genesis." Sounds cool to me. Ultimately though, I think they should stick with the tentative title.

Personally, everytime I have envisioned a new Quantum Leap, Ther is only one title I see working, Quantum Leap: Traveler.

In the episode Glitter Rock, Sam sings Fate's Wide Wheel, and the corus begins, "I'm just a Traveler, upon the sea, of time, of life, of fate's wide wheel. Just a traveler in this mystery. The mer I am is all that's real to me."

To go one further, that would be a great theme song for a new series.

Tom
Al's Handlink

What's in a name?

I have no problem with the name "A Bold Leap Forward"... all that matters to me is that it doesn't sound too corny and maintains the "Quantum Leap" main title.

People were saying at first that it sounded like a fan-fiction title, and while that is true, a few of the episode titles had that kind of pun on the word "leap" as well: "The Leaping of the Shrew", "Leaping in Without a Net", "Leap of Faith" (although that is an established saying), and "The Leap Between the States".

Granted, there are probably better names out there... but all that I have seen suggested are hardly ample enough to replace ABLF. I suppose if/when the film is released, we'll see what TPTB think of the title. :b

... Mike. ^_^

Re: What's in a name?

HEY ? the title is THE most important facet of this project! They could hire a 1000 monkey?s working at a 1000 typewriters to write the script, shoot it on a home video camera with a bunch of models as actors and wave blue cellophane in front of the screen to simulate a leap as the special effects, but as long as they get the title right ? it will all be OK.

Don?t get me wrong I?ve got nothing against ?ABLF? and you?re right shouldn?t that technically be ?A Bold Leap Backward?? But isn?t the point of these fan sites to discuss ?what could be & what we want to see? ? is it totally pointless and a complete waste of time? Of course. Will someone who has creative input into the project ever read it and say ?that?s a great idea lets use it?? Hell no. But isn?t it just as valid to look forward at even the smallest possibilities, such as a title, as to look back debating ?If the bartender was God? or ?If Sam & Al ever met? - without going to all the effort of writing a virtual episode (bravo to those that have/do)?

I do like ?Quantum Leap: Traveler? good idea! Other ideas that come to mind, ?Quantum Leap: Accelerator? ?Project Quantum Leap? ?Quantum Leap: Phase 2? But hey, if we?re going to *steal* existing sub-titles my vote goes to ?Quantum Leap: A New Hope? It has relevance considering the proposed storyline and I?m sure George Lucas wouldn?t mind (sarcasm). But maybe a more realistic one is ?Quantum Leap 2: Will-probably-never-eventuate?

As for a theme song (after a new saga sell) I would suggest ?Maybe I?m Amazed? (originally by Paul McCartney) as performed by Jem (as heard on ?The Music from the OC: Mix 2?).

Pros; this version is sung from a female point of view, it has (possible) references to the storyline & could also reference the surrogate father-daughter dependency relationship of Sammy & Al. Cons; would probably cost ****loads & it?s a little slow ? but hey so is Enterprise?s.

Lyrics
(Second half of verse 1)
Baby I?m amazed at the way you pulled me out of time,
Hug me on a line.
Maybe I?m amazed by the way I really need you.

(Chorus)
Maybe I?m a girl, maybe I?m a lonely girl,
Who?s in the middle of something,
That she doesn?t really understand.
Babe I?m a girl and maybe you?re the only man
Who could ever help me,
Baby won?t you help me understand.

(Second half of verse 2)
Baby I?m amazed at the way you help me sing my song,
Right me when I?m wrong.
Maybe I?m amazed by the way I really need you.

Of course everyone will just say ?use the original theme music?? and they?re probably right. And maybe I?m reading WAY to deep into the emotional depth that would be present in this series ? it?ll probably be like ?Charmed? (read: light & fluffy).

Astroboy, I needed to edit your post slightly to omit a curse word. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but please just try to remember to watch your language on this board, ok? I'll let you get away with that one. Thanks.

Can't curse words be entered into the EZBoard filter? I know Brian did it with "The Boogiem*n," so maybe curses can be blocked too? It would help censor newer members who aren't familiar with the site's rules and save the moderators some work.

quantumleap_traveler.jpg

Apologies for the font. I used the Swiss-Cheesed one that's going around. It's OK but not great. Me a perfectionist? :)

P.S. I've been doing leap effects and hologram door effects for years in Photoshop and Premiere. I tried to get a message to Bellisario (maybe a fool's errand) that if they needed an effect for the DVD or any other purpose and their original effects person (William Powloski) was not available, I'd love to submit a demo tape.

It would help censor newer members who aren't familiar with the site's rules

There are two forums at the very top of the main board page explaining the rules... but I think it could detect the word $h1t on its own, but not when it is compounded with another word. (I'm not sure about that, but it would make sense in most cases.)

... Mike. ^_^

Morgan,

If you don't mind, I want to copy that onto my hard drive. I like seeing a name that I came up, done up like that. It looks really good. Good job

Tom
Al's Handlink

And here's the QL logo by itself captured straight from the DVD.

Finally, a high-res, crisp, clear QL logo that anyone can use on their website, instead of the pixelated GIFs that have been floating around for years.

I carefully knocked out the dark blue background to make it completely black so it can be composited into any dark background.

www.feldoncentral.com/for...ohires.jpg

Once Mirror Image is out on DVD, I am anxiously awaiting capturing the "empty leap" at the end which just leaps into the darkness. Because then we'll have a crisp, high-resolution example of William Powloski's awesome leap "spider web" effect which could be used for any other leap effects. Up til now, I've been playing with 3D Studio Max and 2D animation programs to try to simulate it.

Knowing my luck, Universal will have a change of heart and fully cooperate with Don Bellisario on the remaining DVD sets and as a result, the leap out of Mirror Image will lead straight into a 10 minute promo piece about Quantum Leap: Traveler.

Personally, everytime I have envisioned a new Quantum Leap, Ther is only one title I see working, Quantum Leap: Traveler.

In the episode Glitter Rock, Sam sings Fate's Wide Wheel, and the corus begins, "I'm just a Traveler, upon the sea, of time, of life, of fate's wide wheel. Just a traveler in this mystery. The mer I am is all that's real to me."

To go one further, that would be a great theme song for a new series.
In my VS story, "Future's End," Sam leaps into the future and discovers that PQL has become a "cult" of religious followers who worship Samuel Beckett, a.k.a. the Quantum Traveler. Their song of worship just so happens to be "Fate's Wide Wheel." I'm only going to quote a small portion of my story, starting from where the main character, Isabella, directs Sam toward the back of the "bible" Sam is skimming through:
Motioning to Adam, he pulled out what appeared to be a pocket-sized audio playback unit. ?You?re probably wondering why that hymn the crowd started singing sounded so familiar, right? Turn to the last page and read the verses while you listen to this recording. I guarantee you?ll recognize it in its entirety.?

Adam pressed a few buttons on the unit while Sam found the entire hymn as Isabella told him. The memories of a leap long past returned to the forefront of his mind as he read the title: ?Fate?s Wide Wheel?

As I travel in space and time
I want to stay; I want to go
You see my face, but it?s not mine
What you can?t see, you?ll never know

How can we meet, if I?m not there?
Our hearts may touch, our bodies close
But time divides what we might share
And sends us all where no one goes

I?m just a traveler, upon the sea
Of time, of life, of Fate?s Wide Wheel
Just a traveler, in this mystery
The me I am, is all that?s real to me

We all begin this life alone
We live; we love, all through the years
Yet deep inside, we long for home
But it recedes, obscured by tears

I cry for time, it falls past me
The door of faith remains asleep
But in my soul, this hope burns free
Oh, please let there be one final leap

I?m just a traveler, upon the sea
Of time, of life, of Fate?s Wide Wheel
Just a traveler, in this mystery

?I do remember this song!? Sam recalled. ?I was? Tonic of the rock band, King Thunder! I sang this very song!?

?One of your earlier leaps, according to the Chronicles,? Isabella offered. ?It?s become the mantra for your followers?the hymn they sing to praise you.?
I even added a link within the story that lets the readers download the song and listen to it, just like she tells Sam to do. It probably would make a great "opening" theme song for a new Quantum Leap, but I think they should stick with a new version of the main QL theme. As far as the title goes, I personally do not have a problem with A Bold Leap Forward. Quantum Leap: The Next Generation would be so unoriginal and kind of tacky sounding, but I wouldn't have a problem with something like Quantum Leap: The Next Phase, or something like that...

*heaves a HUGE sigh*

I feel so bad that I've gotten so behind on reading the VS. I'm sad to say that I only ever got as far as "A Flying Leap" in the start of the 10th season before I became so busy I couldn't keep up with the episodes...

I am now in the complete and total dark about anything and everything that has gone on since the beginning of the 10th season, and I really hate that feeling of not knowing what's been going on. It makes me feel as though once I get my newest VS story finished (which I've been working on for a couple of years now), it probably won't fit in at all, as things have probably changed very drastically at the Project and stuff...

*sighs again*

I may just skip everything and read "Future's End", 'cause that sounds like a *REALLY* interesting story. Never would have thought of Sam being the object of a cult's worship...

*sighs one more time*

TTYL.

Joy

Damon,
I remember reading that story. Actually, now that you mentioned it, I remember that it was only after reading your story that I started thinking that Quantum Leap: Traveler would be a good name for a new series.

I never had much of a problem with the name either, but I do think they could have come up with something better.

Tom

New Quantum Leap

I heard that season 4 will be out in Dec.
also after emailing Scifi's corporate and Universal corporate where they say they will answer your questions I get nothing back on the new QL series, does anyone out there know when the production will start?? I've heard nothing on the telemovie in quite awhile and Universal/scifi has no comment on it. On the scifi board someone emailed beck/smith which I don't know how credible their celeberty news sources are but they said to forget about Scott in the movie because when they attempted to round him up for it he was too busy and they will go forward without him. Thats all I've heard. again I don't know how credible Beck/Smith are but I'm getting nothing from Universal/scifi.

Re: New Quantum Leap

Also IMDB recently pulled Scott Bakula's name from the movie project, not sure if everyone already knows this but his name was just pulled from the project and it looks like its just Dean now.
Although I'm sure he could still make a cameo and be shown in many past scenes, whats strange is the plot remains the same where it says Sam is finnally reunited with Al, so yes that probably means only a cameo.
Since the movie/series highly invloves/stars Al it should show the alternate ending at the beginning of the new series where his picture leaps to his family and Beth.

I think its ok for the first few years but we all obiously want the series to go on for years and ten years down the road to me it wouldn't seem right to call it new generation, perhaps:
QUANTUM LEAP
GENERATIONS

I don't know about Quantum Leap Generations. The Generations title was used for a Star Trek Movie. I would prefer something origional Maybe Quantum Leap, The Search for Sam

Generations was also used for another spin-off of that o-so-terrible kids show: Power Rangers. I would not want Quantum Leap to be associated with that!

Reviving An Old Topic

Just perusing older titles for fun, and found this thread that fell off sometime around the server crash last year. Interesting ideas here, and it'd be fun to get some creative juices flowing again.

My suggestion for a title of a Sammy Jo series?

"Quantum Leap: Next Phase".

You keep the franchise name, and also emphasize this is a new series with its own personality. Besides, it sounds cool: imagine the network promotion voice saying, "Coming up, on an all-new 'Next Phase', ..."

Your thoughts?

-- Mike

I kind of wonder why they chose this particular title. I mean, why A Bold Leap Forward? Is it just because it's a little further in time than the original QL, or were they actually going to have a leap forward in time? The original synopsis mentioned that the Project lost contact with Sam; maybe it was because he was forward in time instead of back...

heres a few titles i thought of

Quantum leap: the search for sam

Sam: the return of quantum leap

quantum leap: a leap in time

Quantum Leap: 10 years later .....

quantum leap: sam, where are you?