View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #9
Al_Calavicci
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I've been running Forums for 25 years. I'm not happy about the situation either but forums face 4 problems:
  • Forums generally suck on a mobile phone. Love it or hate it, 60% of internet use is now done on a mobile phone.
  • Uploading photos to most forums is a pain in the ***
  • Each forum requires you to register and maintain an account with them
  • Keeping up with 5 forums requires constantly logging into and visiting 5 different websites. E-mails help, but it's still a drudgery to keep up with everything.
  • There's a learning curve. It's not big, but it's enough to annoy computer beginners.

In contrast Facebook has:
  • A billion users already there with accounts.
  • It works great on a phone
  • All the content from all the different groups and people you follow is mixed together in a single scrolling timeline, so as long you keep scrolling you keep up with everything
  • As soon as there is activity in a group you follow, you get a Notification. As soon as someone replies to you, you get a notification.
  • It's stupid easy to use.
I don't want to encourage anyone to get a Facebook account. That's entirely a personal preference thing. And they absolutely suck at privacy. BUT I will say that there is still interest in Quantum Leap, and every other topic you can imagine. It's just happening elsewhere. Is it worth paying the price to not miss out? That's up to you. I'm in 5 gardening groups and every day there are hundreds of posts of interesting stuff. No wonder Facebook is so addictive.
Thanks for all the work youíve put into Alís Place. Iím glad at least you understand and feel the same way about people abandoning the forums. Iím not happy about it either. I often use a smartphone and have never had an issue using AlísPlace or any other site. I prefer these more detailed sites to mobile apps which tend to be more simplistic and dumbed down.

I also agree with you about Facebook and privacy issues. I donít like them because of that. Itís also my understanding that I canít create a profile under ďAl CalavicciĒ to use Facebook. They require you to give personal info and I donít feel comfortable doing that. Guess Iím old fashioned. I liked these forums dedicated to specific topics. It centralized Quantum Leap fans,now everyoneís scattered all over the internet and thereís even more passwords and sites to remember.

Everytime I log into ALís Place I feel sad. Iím usually the one here! Ziggy,center me on Sam! Lol.

Iím guessing this move to
Al_Calavicci is offline   Reply With Quote