Scott similar to Kevin Costner?

Avilos

Project QL Intern
Nov 22, 2008
Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
Was not sure where the best place to put this was. It sprung out of a conversation about the QL revival but not really about that at all.

At work this week I told a coworker about the revival which he new nothing about. As part of that I told him that Scott had been developing a Pilot for NBC that was not picked up. Similar to Kevin Costner’s Yellowstone. He replied right away that made sense - they have always been very similar.

I was very surprised by that. Never seen any similarities. Was not sure he meant it as compliment either. He explained in that their acting styles are both simple and understated.

Anyone else see the similarities? I like Kevin Costner in some roles but never a huge fan. Scott can certainly play similar stoic hero roles. But he a much wider acting range than that. Singing, dancing, and comedy.

Nothing against Kevin Costner or anyone who is a big fan of his. I just was surprised by the comparison.

Yeahhh, I don't see it. Just in Quantum Leap alone, Scott displayed a huge range in his acting. I've never been particularly impressed by Costner. Then again, the only thing I've really watched of his was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which I only watch because Alan Rickman is so entertaining in it. So I can't really comment on Costner beyond that movie, which is probably not the best movie to base a judgment of his acting on, lmfao.

Yeahhh, I don't see it. Just in Quantum Leap alone, Scott displayed a huge range in his acting. I've never been particularly impressed by Costner. Then again, the only thing I've really watched of his was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which I only watch because Alan Rickman is so entertaining in it. So I can't really comment on Costner beyond that movie, which is probably not the best movie to base a judgment of his acting on, lmfao.

Yeah it's not the best movie to base judgment on. Costner is an incredible actor. Academy Award winner. The man definitely has range. Scott is definitely underrated. But it's also hard to compare a career TV actor to a film actor. There are differences.

Was not sure where the best place to put this was. It sprung out of a conversation about the QL revival but not really about that at all.

At work this week I told a coworker about the revival which he new nothing about. As part of that I told him that Scott had been developing a Pilot for NBC that was not picked up. Similar to Kevin Costner’s Yellowstone. He replied right away that made sense - they have always been very similar.

I was very surprised by that. Never seen any similarities. Was not sure he meant it as compliment either. He explained in that their acting styles are both simple and understated.

Anyone else see the similarities? I like Kevin Costner in some roles but never a huge fan. Scott can certainly play similar stoic hero roles. But he a much wider acting range than that. Singing, dancing, and comedy.

Nothing against Kevin Costner or anyone who is a big fan of his. I just was surprised by the comparison.

The only comparisons I can see (if you want to see it as such) are the JFK projects. Kevin Costner was in a controversial film about JFK which was endlessly critiqued and attacked. Scott Bakula starred in an episode that was attacking Costner's movie because Don Bellisario disagreed with Oliver Stone's take on the assassination. It would appear to me that both actors work on passion projects that are not typically mainstream or necessarily praised. In turn, there may be a lot of projects each actor works on that don't receive a greenlight. Also, apparently Scott will be starring in some kind of Western show opposite of the Quantum Leap reboot.

The only comparisons I can see (if you want to see it as such) are the JFK projects. Kevin Costner was in a controversial film about JFK which was endlessly critiqued and attacked. Scott Bakula starred in an episode that was attacking Costner's movie because Don Bellisario disagreed with Oliver Stone's take on the assassination. It would appear to me that both actors work on passion projects that are not typically mainstream or necessarily praised. In turn, there may be a lot of projects each actor works on that don't receive a greenlight. Also, apparently Scott will be starring in some kind of Western show opposite of the Quantum Leap reboot.

The Western show is called Unbroken, which was what the first poster was talking about. Shaun Cassidy created and wrote the pilot. The pilot was filmed in New Mexico, even though the setting is California, in April. The Quantum Leap original pilot was shot in March. NBC, in their infinite wisdom, declined to pick up Unbroken, though Shaun Cassidy said it had seemed like the suits had liked it. The last I heard about it, in mid July, Shaun Cassidy said Universal was shopping Unbroken around to try to get other networks or streaming services interested. Shaun has said nothing else on his Facebook page about it since then. Hopefully, one of these days, something will be said one way or the other. And since, NBC was originally going to show Unbroken, it would not have been up against Quantum Leap.