Journeyman

Scott Kirkessner

Project QL Intern
Mar 29, 2006
Glendale, AZ
www.kr2k.com
Is anyone here paying close attention to the new NBC show Journeyman?

It's about a guy who is thrown back in time at various moments to help right wrongs.

Looks pretty cool like a show we all love...

I wont ruin it for the Westerners but a major twist just happened in the story that seems to have perked my ears.

Al, I was gettin a teensy bit bored too, but I've been intrigued so far.

alsplacebartender said:
I am watching now but can't seem to stay interested. It's just not QL.

alsplacebartender said:
I am watching now but can't seem to stay interested. It's just not QL.

I felt the same way when I tried watching it last night. It wasn't so much that it wasn't QL...I just didn't find it interesting. I lasted through about 1/2 of it then gave up.

jmoniz said:
I felt the same way when I tried watching it last night. It wasn't so much that it wasn't QL...I just didn't find it interesting. I lasted through about 1/2 of it then gave up.
I thought it was fine - more of a rip-off of The Time Traveler's Wife than QL. In any event, I kept switching to SciFi at the commercials because it was ST:Enterprise night, and couldn't help thinking, There's the real Sam.

I didn't hate it, but maybe it'll grow on me. Unless like every other quirky show I end up liking, it gets cancelled.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really did. I was determined not to compare it to QL, and I did manage not to think about it too much during Journeyman. Unfortunately, I agree with the majority that the show itself didn't really catch my attention. I watched it all the way through, but it just didn't 'wow' me.

I liked it. Curious what is causing his time travel, though. Why did the "bubble" seem to open just for him but no one else fell into it? And it appears his ex-wife, Olivia, is also travelling in time. Very interesting! Hmm. I think I'll give it more than half an hour to prove itself to me, though. I wasn't looking to compare it to QL, either. No one can replace what QL has given to us all through the years.
But you know, when that guy was saved from committing suicide only to die later anyway when the woman was about to be killed by him... it was great! A son was born who would later be important and the dad died anyway at an appropriate time. Who needs the psycotic bum anyway?
Give it time, folks. Even QL didn't make too much sense to me right away. I'm outta here :eek:uttahere

Latest review from MSNBC.com:

JOURNEYMAN:

Theorizing that a man could time-travel within his own lifetime, the creators of "Journeyman" (debuts Sept. 24) stepped into the NBC offices and reappeared with an update of "Quantum Leap" for the "Lost" era. Modern-day newspaperman Dan Vasser (Kevin McKidd from "Rome") has a pretty good life going: wife, kid, house, job. But then he suddenly starts taking inexplicable jaunts back in time, where he's compelled to help people in the past in order to improve the present. His new hobby may be connected somehow to his one-time fiancée, Livia, who died ten years earlier in a plane crash -- or did she? The show sure seems to want to develop an intriguing mythology, but the pieces don't exactly fit, and it's more confusing than mysterious. Dan's time jumps happen without apparent rhyme or reason, and he never knows what he's meant to do or why. Add to that plenty of domestic drama (Dan, Livia, his wife and his cop brother form a suppressed but still simmering romantic quadrangle) and you'll find yourself missing Al and Ziggy.

-Marc Hirsh

I think Journeyman has potental, It's one of those things that I'm gonna have to wait and see if it's something I'll want to continue to watch. I don't like the lack of explanation for WHY he can move through time. At least with QL you knew why Sam was there.

QLfan5875 said:
I think Journeyman has potental, It's one of those things that I'm gonna have to wait and see if it's something I'll want to continue to watch. I don't like the lack of explanation for WHY he can move through time. At least with QL you knew why Sam was there.

I haven't watched the show for this very reason. Although that's probably supposed to be the "hook" to draw an audience, it just seems like something anybody can make up. It's a little too BIG of a plot point to not include from the get-go. To me, it makes the whole premise of the show weak, and coupled with the fact that it's clearly borrowed from Quantum Leap and other time-travel shows, Journeyman needs all the original gimmicks it can get, in my opinion.

Well I watched the second show tonight and I'm still not too sure about it. I think they gave us a clue as to why he travels tonight. ****Possible spoiler below****

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
I noticed when he was at the airport the first time when he went through the metal detector they stopped him 'cause it went off. Like there was something tripping off the detector in his chest area. Even his wife had a look like "what was causing it?" Maybe it's an alien or government implant...:lol

QL Nut said:
I haven't watched the show for this very reason. Although that's probably supposed to be the "hook" to draw an audience, it just seems like something anybody can make up. It's a little too BIG of a plot point to not include from the get-go. To me, it makes the whole premise of the show weak, and coupled with the fact that it's clearly borrowed from Quantum Leap and other time-travel shows, Journeyman needs all the original gimmicks it can get, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also gave this another shot. Noticed what the spoiler mentions above as well and think you're on the right track there. It was more interesting this go-around but still don't like all the drama going on back in his present time. I dunno... I'll give it a few more eps before deciding.

Seeing it just makes me miss Quantum Leap. Why could they not have just brought back the original? Silly corporate people. Blah.

Thanks for hiding the spoiler better :D If it turns out to be what I wrote I doubt I'll continue watching it. Especially if it's the first one. :hmm Either way it just doesn't make any sense. That's what made QL soooo much better. I need to start watching my DVD's of QL again to see the real thing. :hurray:

alsplacebartender said:
I also gave this another shot. Noticed what the spoiler mentions above as well and think you're on the right track there. It was more interesting this go-around but still don't like all the drama going on back in his present time. I dunno... I'll give it a few more eps before deciding.

Seeing it just makes me miss Quantum Leap. Why could they not have just brought back the original? Silly corporate people. Blah.

After another episode, I'm still watching. And while all of you are relating to the similarities with QL, I am relating another crazy similarity to my own comic, Haley... Livia... or Olivia... can't tell... seems to have died in a plane crash before traveling in time... just like Haley, suggesting, if so, a dead time traveler... again, like my Haley :banghead Am I, too, being ripped off here?? :blackeye lol News at 11:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Haley/index.php?p=223413

Maybe not, I guess, but I wanted to go on the record in case they start playing out my book here, haha! See you next TIME.

i watched the show too and i found it interesting ,but there is unf this similarity to ql.for instance the man doesnt use any form of time mashine but he goes back in time like that, just like with sam.so GOD

fate or time is prob sending him back in time.
and he goes back in time to save peoples lifes just like sam.
its really pitty that QL never returned on tvwith a new series and now we see another similar show with time travelling.
but i ll keep watching it couse i love time travel shows.
i liked the IPHONE commercial.I want that one really bad.
sorry for typing this massage too times but i accidently pressed the post reply button LOL

From what I've heard it's more than likely going to be one of the first shows on NBC's chopping block. But then again it was picked up for 3 more episodes. I don't think it's gonna make it a full season or if it does it won't be picked up for a 2nd one.

But if I was forced to cancel a show this season and it was between Journeyman and Cavemen<-- what were they thinking!?!?!?!? I'd take Journeyman :lol

alsplacebartender said:
Well, it's official, I'm just not interested in Journeyman. It's not even because of the QL semi-connection either. I just don't like it. I turned it off halfway through the episode tonight just out of pure boredom. I LOVE time travel shows - but this one just doesn't grab my attention.

Ok, well I tried out Journeyman again tonight just because I was too tired to get up from the sofa after "Heroes."

In the opening scene there is a wedding going on in a chapel. The main character, Dan (time traveler), appears in the chapel under one of the pews out of nowhere. The pastor doing the ceremony then says...

"Oh, Boy."

I about fell off the sofa laughing. Might give it a second chance after all.

LOL! I'm sorry I missed that - I've missed the past two episodes because I worked, and it just hasn't been worth it to tape them. Maybe all those reviews that compare the show to QL inspired them.

Today i watched the "Journeyman" pilot and... I liked it. I think it was well done and quite good. It had some problems and raised a lot of questions ,but maybe in the up coming episodes we'll get some answersto those Questions (Like the reason he can travell in tme...)
Anyway, i think that as long as QL fans will watch this show and won't stop comparing it in their minds to QL.they'll,probably, never enjoyed it or like it,because they're just not objective.
BTW if you want to compare this show to something else - i think we better go with "The Butterfly Effect" and "Back to the future",But not QL. Because i think in a lot of ways "Journeyman" is very Different from QL.
In the bottom line - Watch it and try to be objective. Who knows - you might like it.

If its as bad as what these reviews imply that is is, we'll never get it here at all, so I'll never be able to compare it to QL anyway. Brian did you ever get to watch any of the BBC's Life on Mars? Now that was a cool time travel show, I've only seen series 1 as series 2 has not aired here yet. Can't wait for series 2.

So i watched the second and the third episode of "Jorneyman",and... Well the second episode was a big disapointment and too boring,but the third episode was better,but still not good enough.
I think i'll give the show a chance 'till the 9th episode and then i'll decide if i'll keep on with it or pass on it(in a case the show won't be cancelled before the 9th episode,of course...)

So i watched the 4th and 5th episode of "Journeyman" and...
The 4th episode was excellent in my opinion,probably the best episode of the show so far. the 5th episode wasn't as good,but it had it's moments,and i can say for sure,that it one of the better episodes,so far.
And i think we,finally,starting to get some possible answers about the way Dan is travelling in time...
Anyway one thing i can say for sure,about the show - I really like it opening theme.:)

This show just started in theK on Skyone last thursday and have to say that I am quite impressed. The first episode, although generally solid - save the fluffy 'family love' garbage' - was entertaining and I find Kevin 'Rome Guy' McKidd a likeable lead.

The idea of more than one time-traveller is interesting and the modern take that he can take things like his phone and iPod with him is a good device for objects in time as well as yourself.

To be honest i'd probably embark on the world's biggest looting spree in history. :)

BTW: And yeah, the theme song rocks

I read some posts about this show on IMDB's Board,and...i have some bad news for the people,who watch this show,and enjoy it - It seems NBC going to cancel this show.
Personly, I hope it's not true,and NBC will give the show,at least 1 full season.

isz said:
I read some posts about this show on IMDB's Board,and...i have some bad news for the people,who watch this show,and enjoy it - It seems NBC going to cancel this show.
Personly, I hope it's not true,and NBC will give the show,at least 1 full season.

Maybe.

The writers strike doesn't bode well for the show, since its trying to catch an audience and the limbo might tune people out before it gets a chance.

The last few episodes have been really good though ( tonight's especially ) and its starting to hit its stride.