306 Miss Deep South

Miss Deep South

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Miss Deep South
June 7, 1958

As a beauty contest finalist competing for the title of "Miss Deep South," Sam must uncover the reason that his pageant roommate?a beautiful, sweet girl with a lot of promise?disappears off the face of the earth before the pageant ends.

Written by: Tommy Thompson
Directed by: Christopher T. Welch

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shg

8) :blackeye :b :baby :roflmao: :p :spidey :poke :protest :trolls :slam :bs_flag :hurray: :nut SO FUNNY!!!!! ITS JUST SO FUNNY THERES REPEATS I WATCHED IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND DIDNT GET TIRED OF SAM IN A SWIMSUIT AND DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nut :hurray: :hair :rolleyes :moon :drool :) :| :cry :heybaby :wacko 8o ;) :smokin :hat |I >D :wavey :D :realmad :banghead :angel :\ :alien :help :whip :x :( :censored :sup :hmm :dreaming :bs_flag:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :stupid :crash :kitt: :bat :eek:uttahere :shoot

i laugh my rear off every time of Sam in the Carmon Maranda outfit lol.

This episode is equal in its seriousness and humor. First of all, Sam is a woman! or rather a young lady who is a contestant in the biggest beauty pagent in the south. his outfits throughout the episode are halarious, plus the share of Al humor, especially because this leap is packed with women, making for a paradise for him.
Clint Boumaunt, the pagent photogapher was the weasel in this episode. although i found his charactor very well written and acted, the charactor himself made me mad, and i was glad of the way Sam eventually showed him who's boss with some serious girl power!
grin.gif

I also loved Sam's "Great Balls of Fire" rutine, that won him the pagent, and how cute it was when he got a tear in his eyes and told Al that he wished his little sister Katie was here to see him. To see what? i always ask, her brother in a dress winning a beauty pagent? what a laugh fest that would have been for her. lol. i have to say this episode was quite a laugh fest for me and my best friend. mostly the outfits like i said. The Carmon Meranda, for one thing, had be cracked up the most and then:
"I expect to see you down by the pool in twenty minutes"
*Sam nods*
"In your bathing suit"
*Sam nods agian....after a few seconds his eyes widen*
"Bathing suit!"
lol.
always an enjoyable episode.

Last edited:
Best episode of Sam as a woman 'till this point(season 3 ep 6).very simple plot and Very very Funny,well acted, Scott sings.Well basiclly it was great,but... I didn't like the twist with Clint Boumaunt and Peg.that what made me vote Good but not Excellent. I just hate those unneccessery twists.

I'm in the minority here.
This is one of my least favorite eps.
There are bits of it I love - especially Sam dangling the guy out the window.
What spoils it for me is the ending.
Sam when he wins says something like 'I wish my sister Katie could see me now.'
Sorry, but from what we know about Sam, he'd be totally mortified to have his sister see him as a beauty queen!

leaper1 said:
Sorry, but from what we know about Sam, he'd be totally mortified to have his sister see him as a beauty queen!

I think that last line is a joke that falls flat. I don't like it either. Overall it's a decent episode, but the production numbers are priceless. I mean... "Cuando le Gusta"? Plus Sam banging out "Great Balls of Fire" in a Carmen Miranda outfit. It doesn't get much better than that.

I thought that this was a very good episode as well, and it certaily was funny. Throughout the entire episode, I kept wondering how Scott felt to have to wear a dress/skirt in every scene. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Al and Sam singing together was great! That always has me laughing.

I can't help but laugh when I see the almost giggle smile over Sam's face half way through sing great balls of fire. I sware he looks like he was laughing! :)

I personally thought that last line was just Sam having a joke. :)

Love, love, LOVE THIS EPISODE!

THis is one of those unique QL stories that no other show could do! LOL!

That last line does not make sense. It was trying to say that Sam KNEW Katie would laugh at him and he misses her so much he wishes she could laugh at him. It follows a pattern of a lot of references to Sam's family and the farm in season 3. Including those in "One Strobe Over the Line".

Also playing up the cliche of Beauty Queens crying after they are crowned. But it really does not make sense for Sam to cry. It would have been better if Sam and Al burst out laughing at the absurdity of what only they know. While the audience is baffled as to why "She" is laughing.

Thank Quantum Leap for this episode!
It rated average so far,
until I actually ran into a photographer like that!

And you know what, warned or not, over 30 and borderline intelligent or not, I fell for it to a degree. Although I was clear minded enough to stop anything really indecent from showing. I'd just like to send out an additional waring to everyone.

It's shocking how the brain just turns off in states like that. Especially when you think you know the guy and he's trustworthy... to a degree and that you're not really a beauty queen anymore and out of the target zone. It's really like that, you're focusing on keeping your poses right while he adjusts things that are a "problem" or "in the way" "stand like this" "hold this there" "smile", focusing on radiating, eyeline (meaning, you cant see what he's doing as you're facing the other way) and all those things next thing you know a large chunk of uncovered butt is glaring at you from the photo even though you were dressed with shorts a second ago! .. not to mention that the shot was an "implied nude" looking quite disgusting actually. And then he even managed to make you feel silly for not liking it. Sounds unbelievable, but it works that way.

I wanted profile pictures for his "free offer database" (research showed that he wasn't meant to ask money to begin with so the whole free offer thing was nonsense) just for a small extra job here and there, head shots and a few full body shots... normally dressed.

Note: Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with posing for a trusted artist and agreeing on nudity in varying degrees if the model agrees beforehand and wants those pictures. Being maipulated into something you didn't want and didnt ask for is just disgusting, though.

Long story short, thanks to this episode and the sequence in Fame my alarm bells eventually rang loud enough for me to hear them. Thanks to all quantum leap cast and crew, I owe you one guys! :hurray:

And heads up to everyone else, even if you know and recognize the trap right when you're in the middle of it, it's still shockingly hard to get out with most of your dignity intact, it's like your perception of reality is warped, no matter how smart and worldly you are. Keep your guard up guys!

:)

Thanks for your courage and honesty Jass. It is never easy to admit we've been gullible.
Sorry to hear you were put in this position, and glad it turned out okay in the end.
Been a long time, we must catch up soon. I'll email you.

Looking forward to your email Helen.

I'd feel like a bigger idiot for not letting people know. At least someone else may get a heads up on time this way. Plus it helps to share. So yeah I'm stupid for doubting my own mind in favor of someone else even at the risk of getting hurt. The other person though was alright hurting someone for their own benefit. So I'd always prefer my own "error of juggment". And btw, I'll be fine.

I watched some of the Leap Back Convention DVDs yesterday, and during the quiz between Scott Bakula and Jay Schwarz, and during the section on Behind the Scenes, there was a question asking "which episode made Scott say 'I'm going to get you for this!'" to Tommy Thompson?" It was this episode, because of the bathing suit. And they made an interesting observation - the wardrobe people had to give Scott a skirt to wear over the suit to cover his bulge HAHAHA.

I love it when Sam leaps into females. :) Many funny moments, even though the sleazy photographer taking advantage of young ladies wasn't funny. I loved it when Sam beat the crap out of him...And Clint thought he was being beat up by a young woman. Served him right.

Best scenes: Scott in the bathing suit (I would LOVE to ask him how he got through that with a straight face, LOL).

"Let me guess...Scarlett O'Hara on steroids".

Sam and Al singing with Sam in the Carmen Miranda outfit. LOL.

Sam protecting Connie from Al's roving eye. :)

And of course Scott singing "Great Balls of Fire." :)

Great episode.

Last edited:
Gotta say I admire the hell out of Scott for all the horrible things he had to wear in this episode. Even as a girl I can barely stand to look at those things! XD

I'm in the minority here.

I'll have to agree here, this made no sense. Why would Katie want to see her brother in a dress winning a beauty pageant and for that matter why would he want her to see that? My guess is that it came out as a result of having been very into the moment and in the writing it was probably a failed attempt at a joke.

I'll have to agree here, this made no sense. Why would Katie want to see her brother in a dress winning a beauty pageant and for that matter why would he want her to see that? My guess is that it came out as a result of having been very into the moment and in the writing it was probably a failed attempt at a joke.

The only thing I can think of is that it is a flashback to when they were both kids and trying to outdo each other. That he meant it in the sense of 'nah, nah, I've won a beauty contest and you haven't, and you're a girl!' to make her jealous, but it still seems a strange thing for the adult Sam to say.

The only thing I can think of is that it is a flashback to when they were both kids and trying to outdo each other. That he meant it in the sense of 'nah, nah, I've won a beauty contest and you haven't, and you're a girl!' to make her jealous, but it still seems a strange thing for the adult Sam to say.

Intriguing thought, though I can't see Sam being competitive with Katie. Though there was the implication of their disagreeing over Tom's bedroom while he was in Vietnam since when adult Sam within a leap had been so easily willing to give it to her she and their father John both had been taken aback. Either way as you stated for adult Sam to want to prove something to her through being a man winning a beauty contest is quite immature and unlike him. The incident with Tom's bedroom also shows how Adult Sam is far more agreeable, selfless and caring towards Katie. In addition the truly moved response to his winning contradicts his being in a "na na na na" state of mind.

This one is kind of a throwback to What Price Gloria, in that the fact that Sam is a woman is totally played for laughs, whereas in Another Mother it's treated very matter-of-factly. As in What Price Gloria, Sam is mortified to be wearing dresses, poodle skirts, and has a look of resignation on his face akin to sulking over his fate. It's incredibly funny as the costumes become more and more embarrassing. I still crack up at the thought of him in the hotel lobby with his "Miss Sugar Belle" sash and his tiara.

It was very clever writing in my opinion to mix the emotional Connie situation with the hilarity of Sam as a beauty pageant contestant. There are plenty of episodes that are purely heavy subject matter such as one of his later teenage girl leaps, Raped. In fact directly following this leap is Back on White on Fire which is insanely heavy with hate and violence. To have immediately proceeded that with 100% focus on Connie's story (which probably would have meant changing the setting and exploring more into the vague implication that the photographer had tried to rape her) could have been a bit much to take in all at once.

Besides, his costume designer had hated making female clothes for man so he probably got some revenge in this episode off of sticking Scott in what I personally find to be his most horrid female outfits. XD Massive respect and admiration Scott.

This one is kind of a throwback to What Price Gloria, in that the fact that Sam is a woman is totally played for laughs, whereas in Another Mother it's treated very matter-of-factly. As in What Price Gloria, Sam is mortified to be wearing dresses, poodle skirts, and has a look of resignation on his face akin to sulking over his fate. It's incredibly funny as the costumes become more and more embarrassing. I still crack up at the thought of him in the hotel lobby with his "Miss Sugar Belle" sash and his tiara.

I think my favourite part of the episode is just after Sam's told by Peg that he needs to be at the pool in his bathing suit, then we see all these shots of gorgeous female legs parading about (almost dancing), juxtaposed against Sam's muscular, hairy legs, walking in like it's the most horrible walk he's ever done. Cracks me up every time! XD

Despite some things I didn't like here and there, this was a great episode in my opinion. I thought it was an excellent commentary on the Tyranny Of Beauty (OK, I was a bit inspired by Tangerine Dream to say this, haha!). Of course it was very funny and very intense at some point.

Things I disliked...

Sam and Al singing and dancing along with "Cuanta La Gusta" (?). Looked a bit ridiculous, in my opinion, and, for some reason, I don't like that song, but it looks like it was something Tommy Thompson loved. He also used it in "Leaping In Without A Net". Also, Sam and Al say something along the lines thay they had never heard it before, and that was not true. From Sam it's understood, but not from Al. Oh well, little details, haha!

Another thing was what someone mentioned above: Sam telling Al that he wished that Katie was there to see that. Does not make any sense at all. Even Al kinda flinches a bit at this thought.

And the last thing: The character of the woman who is running the contest, don't remember her name right now. She was a bit over-the-top. I couldn't stand her voice, haha!

My favorite part: When Sam was going to throw Mr. Beaumont out the window. Loved that whole scene. Every punch he throws at him, too, and how he says "aw, sorry!" everytime. Oh, delicious! I sounded a bit like Zoey here, hahaha!

Anyway...

My rating: Excellent.

Donofrio_QLTD said:
He also used it in "Leaping In Without A Net". Also, Sam and Al say something along the lines thay they had never heard it before, and that was not true. From Sam it's understood, but not from Al. Oh well, little details, haha!

Actually that is not an error. Sam showed up a few minutes into the 'Quanto Le Gusto' act but was backstage and busy getting yelled at by the father. The minute prior to finding out he wouldn't be going up in the trapeze he was probably too filled with terror to notice the other act. Even so Sam swiss-cheeses anew with each leap. Al missed the act entirely, he entered when the Panzini act begun.
So it was true in this episode that neither of them knew this song.

Actually that is not an error. Sam showed up a few minutes into the 'Quanto Le Gusto' act but was backstage and busy getting yelled at by the father. The minute prior to finding out he wouldn't be going up in the trapeze he was probably too filled with terror to notice the other act. Even so Sam swiss-cheeses anew with each leap. Al missed the act entirely, he entered when the Panzini act begun.
So it was true in this episode that neither of them knew this song.

Wow! Very nice observation!!! Thank you.