Quantum leap books question?

I've got all of the published Quantum Leap books, and enjoyed them all, some more than others. Two of my personal favorites of the published QL books are "The Wall" and "Pulitzer".

As someone pointed out in another post somewhere about the books, some, if not all of them, went with the premise that it was Sam's spirit, not his body, that was doing the leaping. I found that idea intriguing and experimented with in a couple of my own stories, neither of which have ever been posted anywhere.

-------
Eleiece

I have three of the book (thanks again Tom!;)), and I have only read one so far and it was great! It was Quantum Leap: The Novel. They are hard to find now I think. Some ppl have foind them on Ebay, but I've had no luck. They're just like portable fanfics, those books. They're a fun read.

Samantha Beckett

If you're looking for the books you can find most, if not all of them, on alibris.com. That's where I've found all one's that I have (I'm only missing one). I will caution you that this is a second hand bookstore and since these books are out of print they are a) hard to find and b) can be somewhat pricey depending on the condition that book is in. Basically, the better the condition the book is in or the few copies of it that were actually published the higher the price will be. As was mentioned, you can also find the books on Ebay from time to time. Generally, though, these are the easier to find books. For the harder one's you're going to need to go to something like alibris.com

I don't know about all of them, per se, but definitely the 5 novels that Ashley McConnell wrote follow the "soul-leap" theory.

I personally recommend Pulitzer and Angels Unaware both written by L. Elizabeth Storm, and Foreknowledge by Christopher DeFilippis. You can read the descriptions of all of the books here:

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/novels/index.html

Just click on each novel, then click on the larger image of the front cover; it will take you to the back cover where you can read what the story is about.

Damon

i get mine off of eaither ebay or amazon all for under ten bucks. i have so far read seven i believe and they were all great. in fact i am now expecting two more from amazon. :)

I've read a bunch. I am not a fan of Ashley McConnell, but I did Enjoy Independance and Knights of the Morningstar. I have a bunch more to read, so I don't know how I will like them.

yeah i agree Tom, i don't like Ashley Mcconnell eaither, but the only two i have read of hers so far are Carney KNowledge and Too CLose For Comfort, and enjoyed them both for teh storyline. her writing style is not too great. so far my favorite is Melissa Crandell, who wrote Search and Rescue. i thought she was real good.

If you could only find one QL novel...I'd say get Pulitzer. It's THE best of them all!

or Search and Rescue, i found that one to be awsome, and very well written. Song and Dance and Mirrors Edge are the two i am expecting now, so i hope to get them soon, they both some awsome as well.

McDuck said:
If you could only find one QL novel...I'd say get Pulitzer. It's THE best of them all!
I absolutely agree. Now I want to go into my very very full storage space (10x30!) and look through every box until I find my book stash and read them all again. I hope it doesn't rain on Friday...

Al The Observer said:
I absolutely agree. Now I want to go into my very very full storage space (10x30!) and look through every box until I find my book stash and read them all again. I hope it doesn't rain on Friday...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has them in storage. I about tore my apartment apart a few weeks ago trying to find where I put my QL novels, only to come to the realization I must have left them in storage. This is driving me nuts, because now I want to reread them all.

And, as for the books themselves, there are some pretty good ones. I agree with the recommendations of Pulitzer and Angel's Unaware, and, while I'm not overly fond of Ashley McConnell, I did enjoy Too Close For Comfort enough to, erm, permanently borrow it from the school library. I wish I remembered the other books well enough to give a real recommendation. I do have to warn you, though, Song and Dance and Mirror's Edge do indeed sell for a lot. I had a hard time getting them.

My personal favorite of them all is "Knights of the Morningstar" by Melanie Rawn. I think she did an amazing job of capturing the voices of Sam and Al. I had not problem "seeing" Al and Sam in her descriptions. Ashlye McConell's storylines aren't bad on the whole, I just want to know if she ever watched the same series I was watching. The one thing throws me out of her stories is that she goes with the whole "only Sam's soul is leaping" theory when the series clearly demonstrated that it was all of Sam - body, mind and soul - that was leaping.

"Search and Rescue" I personally found to be the worst of the lot. Again, I want to know if the author was watching the same series that I was. I could neither "see" nor "hear" Al or Sam in the entire novel. The only reason why I finished reading it was the same reason you look at a car accident - it's next to impossible to look away.

jmoniz said:
My personal favorite of them all is "Knights of the Morningstar" by Melanie Rawn. I think she did an amazing job of capturing the voices of Sam and Al. I had not problem "seeing" Al and Sam in her descriptions. Ashlye McConell's storylines aren't bad on the whole, I just want to know if she ever watched the same series I was watching. The one thing throws me out of her stories is that she goes with the whole "only Sam's soul is leaping" theory when the series clearly demonstrated that it was all of Sam - body, mind and soul - that was leaping.

"Search and Rescue" I personally found to be the worst of the lot. Again, I want to know if the author was watching the same series that I was. I could neither "see" nor "hear" Al or Sam in the entire novel. The only reason why I finished reading it was the same reason you look at a car accident - it's next to impossible to look away.

I have to agree with you on "Search and Rescue". It was one of those I was sent foc from Boxtree publishers when I submitted "Terror Firma" and I really wanted to like it, because that made it special to me.
Unfortunately, the impression it left me with was that it had been a totally unrelated story about a plane crash that had been submitted to a publisher and rejected, then hastily rewritten to include Sam and Al and the whole QL fixing history angle just to cash in on the franchise.
I didn't get a feeling of the characters from it either.

The other one I found a bit disappointing was "Loch Ness Leap", but I really can't say if that is subconsciously just sour grapes, since they ultimately chose that above "Terror Firma" as the final submission for the year.

leaper1 said:
Unfortunately, the impression it left me with was that it had been a totally unrelated story about a plane crash that had been submitted to a publisher and rejected, then hastily rewritten to include Sam and Al and the whole QL fixing history angle just to cash in on the franchise.

That's a perfect description for it - just a generic story that happened to have characters named "Sam" and "Al" who really bore no resemblence to the Sam and Al we know from QL. "Search and Rescue" is defintely not one of the books I'll reach for to reread very often - if again. "Knights of the Morningstar", though will always be one I can reread.

The only redeeming factor I can give to Search and Rescue is that last moment when Sam and Al (grievously wounded) have together before each leaps out.

i am excited, i recieved Mirror's edge in the mail today, i could not start reading it yet though becasue i had to rush off to college, but i am going to start right now, i can't wait. ;D

Don Quixote

Don Quixote said:
My first novel was Too Close For Comfort. As for quality, it was one of the few books I couldn't put down until it was finished.

Thanks for the name of the book. Who was the author?. I'm new to the board. CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE HANG OF THE FORMAT or the way to edit what I'm writing. Great handle you have there. The episode with Don Quixote was one of my favorites. It made me want to find a video of Man of La Mancha.

Debra said:
Thanks for the name of the book. Who was the author?. I'm new to the board. CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE HANG OF THE FORMAT or the way to edit what I'm writing. Great handle you have there. The episode with Don Quixote was one of my favorites. It made me want to find a video of Man of La Mancha.

Ashley McConnell wrote Too Close for Comfort. I'm reading that one now, and its real good so far.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
Ashley McConnell wrote Too Close for Comfort. I'm reading that one now, and its real good so far.

Samantha Beckett
oh that was my second one Claire, it is really good, i loved it. and so Far Mirror's Edge, the one i am currently reading is really suspensfull, and confusing kinda. and so far very intense, whoo!:|

Too Close For Comfort was my second book too. Ive found it real confusing in the beginning when it came to the 2 Als, like who was who. Can anyone tell me if it gets easier? lol

Samantha Beckett

yep it does, i was only confused for the first two seconds when the young Al first came into the picture but then i read on and i picked it up. for me is was all easy from then on. it's Mirror's Edge that's kinda confusing me right now. :-/

Sam Beckett Fan said:
yep it does, i was only confused for the first two seconds when the young Al first came into the picture but then i read on and i picked it up. for me is was all easy from then on. it's Mirror's Edge that's kinda confusing me right now. :-/

And it gets even more confusing near the end...

Sorry... But at least you've been warned, so you won't be too shocked when it starts getting really confusing.