Make the convention part of a vacation!

Oh good, I'm supposed to land at 9 or 10 AM, so with LA traffic, I'll probably be making it just in time for the start. I think my flight departs at midnight Sunday (ick), so I'm golden. Just need to stay awake, didn't someone say something about a coffee bar...? ;)

I'm flying into LAX. I'll be sure to keep the luggage tag this time too, I had a YYZ one, but lost that. I'm sure I could find a use for it. Lunch sounds good, coffee would be better...don't know how much sleep I'll be getting the night before, and with an early morning flight, I'll be bushed. Especially bad since I'll be going to the Castle later that night.

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine anyway!

I've never been to the Castle, though I have met some of the regular performers and the Vice President (I'll be getting my invitation from him.) I'm probably going to be seeing the same side of the Castle that you have. While Magician memberships offer more perks than Non-magician, I'll still be a guest, and won't be granted access to some of the more private areas. I do get around the door fee though!

A friend of mine has been invited to perform there, it's just a matter of him choosing a time for the booking. I just hope he's not there when I'm there, I've already seen his act (which is quite good).

That is really cool Josh! I always wanted to see the Magic Castle.

I am curious what did you think of Scott Bakula's movie "Lord of Illusions"?
It was too gory for my tastes, I am not much of a horror fan, but I like it for the detective and stage magic aspects. Oh, and it stars Scott Bakula! ;)

You know...I've never actually seen that movie, I've been meaning to though. I'll add it to my Netflix list. :)

In general though, I'm not a fan of how magic is portrayed in movies and TV shows, it's usually cheesy and tacky, there are notable exceptions and I did like The Prestige. :)

Hi everyone!,
I'm actually flying in from Melbourne Australia alone and I'm rather anxious! I have 2 and a half weeks in California to play with and I'm trying to make the most of my trip and see as much as I can! Is MArc still thinking about hiring a Van and sightseeing with fellow leapers?? If so, whatare the details? Is it before or after the Con? It sounds like a marvelous idea! I've never been to LA! :)

Hi everyone!,
I have 2 and a half weeks in California to play with and I'm trying to make the most of my trip and see as much as I can! Is MArc still thinking about hiring a Van and sightseeing with fellow leapers?? If so, whatare the details? Is it before or after the Con? It sounds like a marvelous idea! I've never been to LA! :)

Will you be having your 2 weeks before or after the Con? If after, I plan to stay for extra 4 days in LA. I'd love it if we hang together, do the tourist thing together.
I'm coming all by myself from Israel & it's my first tme in LA.

If the Van thing is still an option, for after the Con... I want in too. :bow

For those of you planning a vacation around the con, you can bank on the following as concrete:

Registration will start at 9am, Friday morning. The convention will officially start Friday afternoon, at 1pm.

The convention will close at 6pm Sunday evening.

I'm planning to arrive Friday and my plane lands at 1:45pm. Will I still be able to register and how much will I miss seeing the convention starts at 1pm.
Bonnie

That's probably a good idea. I'll see if I can get an earlier flight.
Since I just booked it yesterday, I was able to cancel it. I got an
earlier flight and it arrived in LA at 8:55am. It means I have to get up at 3am
to catch the flight, but I don't mind. I'm up late anyway.

Hi everyone!,
I'm actually flying in from Melbourne Australia alone and I'm rather anxious! I have 2 and a half weeks in California to play with and I'm trying to make the most of my trip and see as much as I can! Is MArc still thinking about hiring a Van and sightseeing with fellow leapers?? If so, whatare the details? Is it before or after the Con? It sounds like a marvelous idea! I've never been to LA! :)

HI Purple Rose,

I too am around for about 2 and half weeks. But it's after the Con. I'm not sure what your plans are but I'm hoping to travel around after. Would try to go Vegas, Gran Canyon and at least San Francisco. If the money is right and I can get company I would ideally like to hire a car/van and drive around everywhere, which would make planning a lot easier. If you are interested or anyone else is let me know asap and I'll look into it.

For those who are planning on sticking around and exploring, and who don't mind a drive, keep in mind that the Trinity site in New Mexico will be open the Saturday after the con. It's only open two days a year, and that just happens to be one of them.

Of course, Trinity is about where PQL is set, and if you enter White Sands Missile Range (where Trinity is located) from the north end, you get to go through Stallian's Gate.

343WhiteSands11.jpg

From LA would it be easier to go to San Francisco first and then Las Vegas or the other way around? I want to hire a car and not sure which is the best route. I def want to drive on the coast at some point on the journey

Thanks.

Morning. SF is about 8 hours north by car. Insane driving time in my opinion. I don't drive anywhere over 4 hours but that's just me. Vegas is about 5 hours east driving time. Either way, my experience is that Europeans are used to driving and this may not sound so tough to you. It is to me and would be seeking out airfares for at least the Francisco part. No way would I drive it. If you did Vegas first, it would be longer to hit SF. If you did SF first, it would be longer to hit Vegas. LA seems to be your starting point and there's no easier way for either city. Let's hope someone else has a better solution for you.

Just my personal two cents.

Morning. SF is about 8 hours north by car. Insane driving time in my opinion. I don't drive anywhere over 4 hours but that's just me. Vegas is about 5 hours east driving time. Either way, my experience is that Europeans are used to driving and this may not sound so tough to you. It is to me and would be seeking out airfares for at least the Francisco part. No way would I drive it. If you did Vegas first, it would be longer to hit SF. If you did SF first, it would be longer to hit Vegas. LA seems to be your starting point and there's no easier way for either city. Let's hope someone else has a better solution for you.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it does sound a bit long! I thought about hiring a car just for the freedom of doing whatever you want, and also like the idea of driving up or down the coast I tend to get jelly legs after about 3 hours of driving though lol- Perhaps there are some decent places to stop along the way to break up the journey?
I've got a VW campervan back at home which would've been ideal for when I'm there! Might see if I can get one there lol.

Here's an idea. Drive to Vegas. The Strip alone is a one day adventure. get a room at one of the hotels there. Stay the night. In the morning drive to Hoover Dam. yet another day trip. another alternative is to take a whole day, get on a single engine tour plane, fly into the Grand Canyon airport nearby, it includes a bus trip to the south rim, lunch is included and fly back to vegas. They pick you up at your hotel and return you. I've done all of these as I was a huge gambler (not addicted) back in the day. The flight trip to the Canyon cost me about $150. Should be around $200 by now. well worth it.

Another option, drive from vegas to VALLEY OF FIRE STATE PARK or RED ROCK. Now all of this is desert events and I know you wanted ocean sights. Ok then. From LA, drive down to San Diego and come up along the coastal highway until you get sick of water.

California is big and if you could catch a cheap flight (this ain't Easyjet or Germanwings pricing), take it to SF or Montery (my favorite) and drive to Carmel along 17 mile near Pebble Beach golf course. Amazing views!!!

In LA, skip DISNEYLAND (as a Orlando Floridian, what a rip!). Go to UNIVERSAL, KNOTTS BERRY FARM and the San Diego Zoo. Go to Santa Monica Pier and blah, blah, blah. You get the idea.

Just a few ideas.

I'm coming in on the 24th and staying south of you but will have a vehicle. Maybe we can meet up and do the tourist (yuck) thing.

Stay in touch.

Last edited:
Those ideas sound wicked! I kinda wanna do them all. Yeah would be good to hook up and do the yuck stuff. I will check out to see the price of flights. When I looked at the main 3 places (La, Vegas, and SF) on google map it formed a triangle, so I couldn't imagine an easy route to them. Whatever gives me the best (and not necessarily the easiest) experience will be my first option. After doing some research, I think Yosemite is also a good place to visit too.

Wow. I guess I won't stop by Orlando to pick you up on my way out to L.A., then. I'll be leaving the house sometime around St. Patrick's Day. Yes, I'll be driving. The whole way. There and back.

YOU ARE INSANE!!! I can't put it in any other diplomatic terms so let's say it again: YOU ARE INSANE!!!

I paid $193 to fly out. Your gas and hotel fees will be more, not to mention the pee breaks.

YOU ARE INSANE!!! (oops! Did I say that already?Sorry )

OK..if you're gonna do this, be careful. Check in with someone often so we know where you are, like, smoking peace pipes with native tribes somewhere in the mid-West. Don't stop in Alabama! You'll go stupid (Sorry 'Bamas)!! Visit the Alamo in Texas. Don't forget to duck. History has a way of playing with the mind. Say hello to Richardson in NM and don't eat Mexican food. Unless you like it. I don't. Btw, pick me up a churro on that last pee break (WASH YOUR HANDS!!). When you get into CaliforniaA, smack Arnold for me. Oh wait! You won't be that far north. Ok, act like you're smacking Arnold when you look in the mirror.

Be careful!

YOU ARE INSANE!!! I can't put it in any other diplomatic terms so let's say it again: YOU ARE INSANE!!!

I paid $193 to fly out. Your gas and hotel fees will be more, not to mention the pee breaks.

YOU ARE INSANE!!! (oops! Did I say that already?Sorry )

OK..if you're gonna do this, be careful. Check in with someone often so we know where you are, like, smoking peace pipes with native tribes somewhere in the mid-West. Don't stop in Alabama! You'll go stupid (Sorry 'Bamas)!!
Be careful!

Hate to tell you this, Marc, but Chicken Boo is FROM Alabama!!! :hair