Are there still Quantum Leap conventions?

Katar

Project QL Intern
Hey, All,

I used to watch QL religiously back in my early college days in the mid-1990s. I forgot how much I liked the show until I started watching reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel a few years ago. Anyway, I am excited (like most of us) about the idea of a new QL series, and I'm psyched to go to a convention. The only problem, I don't see any listed anywhere.

Are there still conventions? When are they? I'm in Kansas City and see there was one here back in the late 1990s. I wish there was another one coming. If anyone knows of a con, please post the info. I know Dean is going to be in Georgia soon, but I can't make it. Anyone know if Quantum Leap stars are appearing at other conventions this year or next?

Thanks for any help.
cheers.gif

Scott

We had once discussed putting together an Al's Place convention in Chicago (I believe that's the city we had decided upon), but the discussion kinda petered off... So, currently, there really aren't any conventions in the works. I hope there will be in the near future, though.

Joy

Al's place con

Wow that would be great, would Al's place be able to book Dean Stockwell himself for an Al's place con??

Put out a Paypal dropbox. :)

Just make sure you don't associate your Paypal account with any important checking accounts. Create a separate account just to receive paypal and empty it on a daily or weekly basis.

feldon29 said:
Put out a Paypal dropbox. :)

Just make sure you don't associate your Paypal account with any important checking accounts. Create a separate account just to receive paypal and empty it on a daily or weekly basis.

Actually, I already have a paypal donation box on the site to help with my montly fees, etc.

As for a convention, I don't know the first thing about getting one together. I'd be scared to take people's money for something like that. Perhaps there's someone with experience out there who could help make arrangements?

Rather than a convention, maybe we could all organize a Meet.

Disney Cruise anyone? :lol:

What's good is to have 2 levels of participation. A sort of core group of 15-25 people who stay in the same hotel or other location and hang out together for the Fri-Sat-Sun. If everyone chips in, say, $40-60 for the weekend on top of the hotel rate and meals, then that would ensure the success of the event. Then there's the actual convention which could be 1 day.

I think you would have to pre-register at least $7-10 per person for the convention just to reserve and pay for the hall. If less than 50 registered, you could refund all that money and no harm no foul.

I don't know if it would be possible to draw enough QL fans to do a convention these days. I think you're more likely to see us as an adjunct to a Trek convention.

Who knows? There are many possibilities with the only limits time and money. :)

Re: Conventions

Wow, this hasn't been brought up in quite a long while! I would love to be able to meet fellow QL fans, share my ideas, and especially meet all of the members of this board. Like Morgan and a few others brought up, however, it is simply a question of money, of which I have very little these days.

That being said, if arrangements were ever made or planned for us all to meet, I would definitely look into finding a way to save up for it. :D

Well, my only constraint would be time, finances, and location. I'm stuck smack dab in the middle of the country, so a cruise from *either* coast would be out of the picture for myself....

Which is one reason we'd discussed having a convention somewhere in the MidWest like St. Louis or Chicago, because that would give people on both coasts the same amount of travel distance, and allow those of us in the middle of the country the chance to participate in another convention, since I believe out of all the QL conventions, only one has been in the MidWest (the mid-90s Kansas City one).

Actually, if we still wanted a small cruise but a more central location... What about Branson? The Branson Landing is expected to be finished next year, there are several convention centers to utilize, and group packages come in all shapes and sizes. I don't know if we could manage to secure a cruiseboat, but anything's possible; a smallish boat like the Branson Belle would be a perfect size, as there probably wouldn't be TOO many people...

Plus, there would be tons of extra stuff to do and see in our free time between convention events, such as shows, museums, and a theme park. And that stuff could be made into events in themselves for us all to enjoy together. Oh, what I would give to spend an entire day at Silver Dollar City in the company of a bunch of Quantum Leap fans! A dream come true, I tell ya... :D

Or, how about making our sleeping accomodations *really* easy on ourselves and make it a camp-out? Most camping sites are around $14 a night. Or, we could rent all the cabins at Antler's Resort; the owners of the resort are really nice, the cabins are beautiful, the prices are great, and it's on the lake. It would be away from the main traffic, down the road from the theme park, and we'd have a swimming pool.

Yeah.... I'm really having too much fun and really thinking beyond our means. Or... am I? I think it'd be plausible.

And the best thing about Branson is it is *completely* family-friendly. You probably couldn't find a more family-friendly environment. It's like Las Vegas with all the lights and shows, but without the crime and all the gambling outlets where parents go and leave their kids behind at the hotel room. In Branson, families do everything together.

Can you tell I like Branson...? LOL

Okay, I'm done rambling. It's a quarter to 6 in the morning here, and I really need to go to sleep. But just thought I'd put out another possibility for consideration.

Oh, and I remember us discussing celebrity guests the last time we talked about this, and we had decided that as long as we have each other, we don't necessarily need to book big-name guests. Besides, if we could get The Rod there, I think he'd be enough of a celebrity name himself! LOL Oh, and if we could get Shane there, too... Wow, what a celebrity-filled occasion! ;)

Joy

EDIT: Oh, yeah... Here's a poll thread we'd started quite a while back concerning conventions. I could swear we had a longer thread elsewhere, but perhaps it got lost in the EZBoard hack-attack...

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308&highlight=convention

re:airfare....if Southwest has a good deal going on, you can get phenomenal rates. I myself got $39 one way from my hometown to Orlando for a mid-Sept. flight. (Can I just once again proclaim how exciting it is to say I have a one way ticket to Orlando???? <g>)

tina_als_girl said:
since I believe out of all the QL conventions, only one has been in the MidWest (the mid-90s Kansas City one).

There was at least one in Indianapolis....in....the late 90's. My time off from the DayCamp I was working at didn't correspond to allow me to attend but a lot of the C-leapers (Christian Quantum Leap fan prayer/mailing list born in 1995 that is still alive and kicking....PM me if you'd like more information) gathered at the List Mommy's home and attended en masse.

Last edited:
Convention/cruise attendance

Since I live in England, am impoverished and don't even have a passport, any of the above arrangements would be out of the question for me, but good luck to y'all with your plans.
If you do get together I'll be with you in spirit - and I expect to see dozens of photos!

chicago

I think Chicago would be great atleast for most. We'd deffinately have to try and get someone big like Dean, I think someone mentioned like a sponser would help, since BLF may be coming soon scifi could use this, plus the charge for the event like $50. Its deffinately possible and it would take some work and time but it would deffinately be worth it.

Yeah, I think calling this more of a... assembly? annual summer Leapers trip? conference? fest?... rather than a "convention", might be a better indicator of how this would be a small gathering, not a full-blown thing.

Which is why I think although it would be absolutely thrilling to get a big celebrity guest, we don't necessarily *have* to. We could do it more as a fan gathering rather than a full-blown convention.

Really, that's the main reason I would be interested in a "convention", is just to be able to meet face-to-face other Leapers.

Here's an example, and it's not really a great one, but I think it'll do.

I live in Independence, Missouri. We're home to the headquarters of the Community of Christ Church (formerly known as the RLDS--Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints [you can see why they changed the name! lol]).

Every two years, they hold a gigantic conference for members all over the world. Delegates come from all corners of the earth to gather for meetings, classes, and fellowship. This is what those of us locals call the World Conference.

So, that's a gigantic meeting of tons of fellow-minded people, similar to a full-blown convention. But it's a mass assembly, where most people won't know each other and may not ever get to know each other. People are more intent on their personal schedule--get to this Q&A at this time, then be at this booth at this time--rather than laying back and taking their time to just revel in the fellowship of people just like them.

Then, on a smaller scale, there's a specific church branch that I used to go to (and my dad still goes to). It's one church that is part of the larger "Church". Each year, we go on annual summer trips, sometimes to go camping and river-rafting, other times to go to Niagara Falls. It's a single, small congregation getting together outside the chapel in order to have fun and get to know each other better.

So, that's a smaller meeting of people who are familiar to each other already, getting together to learn more about each other.

I think the latter is more of what we could possibly aim for. That's what *my* main motivation for wanting a "convention" would be: to get to know my fellow Leapers.

I'd love to get in touch with some of the past LeapCon organizers and find out from them how they managed to organize the conventions. I just have to wonder how they ever managed to figure out when and where and how to get such large gatherings together! :)

Joy

Here's a report of a Disney fan Meet---a bit more organized than I was initially thinking, but less than a full out Convention:

http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/atown.htm

This is the "official site" for the Meet which includes registration planning information: http://dismeets.com/

What it appears to me is that they lined up some speakers--some of whom were informed Disney fans, one of whom was actually in the travel-Disney-knowledgeable industry. They rented a conference room from the hotel and made arrangements to have it catered (probably by the hotel). The cost was in the $44 - $46 range, and it appears to have mostly been by and for people in that particular area.

What I was thinking of was a bit more along the lines of this MouseFest: http://www.mousefest.org/calendar.htm Where basically they had specific places and times at which to gather in small "Meets"--not quite so organized as Panels, or Q&As, etc.

Which is why I've kind of been making the distinction between "convention" and "Meet" (or "Moot" as such gatherings are termed in Ringer-dom) <g>

Small meet

If everyone was to make a small con, kinda like a meet the fellow leapers kinda thing then it should be somewhere close to Brian, even MO, would be perfect since its right in the middle. Maybe even Indiana since Indiana is Sams home!!!!

where is brian? just curious? and i would LOVE LOVE LOVE another convention, and despite my nervousness of flying, i would fly anywhere for a Quantum Leap convention. i would love to meet Scott. i was in fact discussing this with my best friend not too long ago. i would love it, that would be the ultament vacation. and my mom would not mind eaither, because she just recently got into it and watched the first three seasons not long after i got into it.

Ah! A "Fan Meet" is the perfect term! Thankees, Jennie!

I think that's an interesting and cool idea--various meets going on at the same time in various cities. And we could do some sort of live internet hook-up with a webcam and chat so that we could communicate with the various meet-ups.

This would allow for our European Leapers to join in the fun as well!

Although I definitely would want to have a general meet-up for Al's Place members so we can all meet each other face-to-face.

Joy

That wouldn't be a bad idea. There seem to be enough groups of us to do several Fan Meets with webcam hook-ups. I know there are a few of us here in the New England States. But I work 6 days a week, so I couldn't be more than like a 3 or 4 hour drive and it would have to be on a Sunday for me to be able to attend

I'm excited that my asking about a convention started this thread! Cool. I'm in Missouri so, of course, meeting in the Midwest sounds great. I understand how meeting in LA would help get the stars to attend, though. My attitude is that I would be willing to spend the time and money to attend a meeting outside the Midwest, if possible. If nothing else, just some of us fans getting together sounds great too.

well that sounds fun, but i would never be allowed to fly out somewhere to meet a bunch of people i met online, not that you guys' fault, cause i would love to meet some of you that i knew on the exboard, but i just couldn't. a convention would be my dream come true. :angel

Katar said:
I'm excited that my asking about a convention started this thread! Cool. I'm in Missouri so, of course, meeting in the Midwest sounds great. I understand how meeting in LA would help get the stars to attend, though. My attitude is that I would be willing to spend the time and money to attend a meeting outside the Midwest, if possible. If nothing else, just some of us fans getting together sounds great too.

LA would be awsome, i am about six hours drive away. hehe.:D

Kentucky Boy Here :)

Hey, all!

Just passing through, but I noticed you're talking convention/reunion again.

I'm in Kentucky so anywhere in the midwest would be right up my alley.

Hey, Joy! Thanks for throwing my name into the mix a few posts back. I'd be very happy and honored to do a live read-through of fan-written material for our reunion. I'm sure we could get Chrono and the gang to join in as well. It'd be a somewhat enjoyable activity if we can't get the real thing, ya' know? Maybe have people write down what they'd like to hear Sam say and I'll hide and read from a microphone or something. lol

I'm there, anyway you need me. In any form. Make whatever plans for my Scott impression and I'll make sure I'm there.

In Peace,
Shane

Shane, those are some awesome ideas! A live performance from the Radio Files gang would be so much fun! I wonder if we could come up with a special story that involves the entire cast that could be just for the Meet/Convention/Whatever... That'd be awesome.

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
Shane, those are some awesome ideas! A live performance from the Radio Files gang would be so much fun! I wonder if we could come up with a special story that involves the entire cast that could be just for the Meet/Convention/Whatever... That'd be awesome.

Joy

It IS an awesome idea. :cheers Heck, I've wanted to meet several people in the Midwest for a while now, such as sweet Eleiece and MJ. You can definitely count on me showing up. In fact, I'd love to help out where I can. I may be in Colorado but I know we could come up with something for our little convention. Maybe a radio drama with some assistance from some talented fellow writers.:sing

Anyway, I'm getting excited with this prospect.

Kat