The Play's the Thing

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
The Play's the Thing
September 9, 1969

New York City, New York

As a young man romancing a much, much older woman, Sam must convince her not to move back to Cleveland with her straight-as-an-arrow son and his wife. And somehow he also has to get through a nude version of Hamlet.

Written by: Beverly Bridges
Directed by: Eric Laneuville

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
This was pretty good. Sam leaps in thinking he's having an affair, but he's with a widow. I like how Al says "she's too old for you" and Sam says "she much too sophisticated for you."

Vince Beckett said:
This was pretty good. Sam leaps in thinking he's having an affair, but he's with a widow. I like how Al says "she's too old for you" and Sam says "she much too sophisticated for you."

haha i loved that joke as well and my best friend and i love the whole having to perform Hamlet Naked thing, its so funny how those two other actors had to yank his custume off for him, poor Sam. lol.

it was good mostly for us ladies, *whistles*
Hunkalious Scott moment! yeah baby!:lol

I loved how sweet he was with his lover in this one. And, the director is hiliarious - "Oh! If only you'd SMELLED like that last week!"

I thought this episode was below Average. It was a bit amusing(especially "Hamlet" naked) but it wasn't interesting enough,the story was weak,and the acting was O.K but nothing more.
BTW i didn't understand something in this episode - What exactly happend to Sam's host in the original history that Sam had to change?!(except Jane left him and went back to Cleavland,living an unhappy life)

isz said:
What exactly happend to Sam's host in the original history that Sam had to change?!(except Jane left him and went back to Cleavland,living an unhappy life)
Joe Never went on as Hamlet which we later find out is likely due to the naked thing. So his main objective was to go on for Joe as Hamlet and make sure he keeps his career. But then Sam having a big heart had to extend his job to also make sure that Neil did not force Jane back to Cleavland.

I am sorry I don't understand what you find adverage about this episode, I mean come on Hamlet naked...SCOTT NAKED! WHOOO! :dreaming
everyone has their opinion though.

cookiemom6067 said:
I loved how sweet he was with his lover in this one. And, the director is hiliarious - "Oh! If only you'd SMELLED like that last week!"
I agree completely, I just love Sam's sweet side with women, and he was so tender with Jane about insisted how much talent she has and stuff. It was so sweet, and her love for him/Joe in return was very sweet and strong and very inspiring. The charactor of Niel annoyed me how he thought so lowly of his mother but he did have some absoutly halarious lines throughout the episode.

I just think this episode is a ball of fun.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Joe Never went on as Hamlet which we later find out is likely due to the naked thing. So his main objective was to go on for Joe as Hamlet and make sure he keeps his career. But then Sam having a big heart had to extend his job to also make sure that Neil did not force Jane back to Cleavland.

I am sorry I don't understand what you find adverage about this episode, I mean come on Hamlet naked...SCOTT NAKED! WHOOO! :dreaming
everyone has their opinion though.

I thought it might be something like that.
Thank you.

You mean his outfit when he was at the club with the family? Yeah that was cute except the glasses. Scott actually has glasses like that, he is wearing them in his IMDB pic and I am sorry Scott but they make him look gross. They are not his style to me. In this epiosde in accompanied by the outfit he looked like a blind man. Without the glasses though the outfit was cute. But I prefer to see his wonderful eyes if not a better pair of sunglasses like he ones he wore as Andrew or he also wore a pair in the movie Blue Smoke that were cool too.

cookiemom6067 said:
I also love Sam's Nehru Jacket/Lennon glasses/love bead combo. RAWR!

Double RAWR! The man does look good in white...:dreaming

Not one of my favorite episodes but I did like the way that they showed how a relationship between a younger man and an older woman can work.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Scott actually has glasses like that, he is wearing them in his IMDB pic and I am sorry Scott but they make him look gross. They are not his style to me.

If you're referring to a the photo in the uppper left hand side of his IMDB profile, that's a photo that's nearly 8 years old. It's from a movie premiere that happened back in early 2000. He was wearing a very different pair in DC last year (http://sbscreencaps.com/JMM%20-%204-30/DSC08959.JPG). Personally, I think he looks good in glasses. Of course, I wear glasses myself so maybe I am just a bit biased.

It does not matter when the picture was taken, and I am not saying he looks bad in glasses at all just those. He has worn some cool glasses in other stuff like I said. :)
But maybe I am a little biased as well without realizing it cuz I DON'T wear glasses at least not the vision assistance kind.

I LOVED this episode for so many reason I can't even list them all.

Its in my top 3 in fact I think its my number 1 so far.

I loved that Sam just instantly appreciated her worth and although I bet he didn't fall in love with her himself he realised why the young guy he'd leaped into loved her and he defended their relationship.

Well I'll watch it again as soon as I get a chance!!

The first time I saw this one, I wasn't all that impressed. It's not a really exciting plot. But the second time, I really enjoyed it. It's smart and funny, and besides, it answers the question "boxers or briefs?" for Al.

I knew he was a boxers guy. ;)

you know how some eps just grab you? this one grabbed me, probably because I can see that I will be just like her at 50 (not in bed with a 25 year old) but struggling with the growing old thing. I love seeing stories about women especially who don't just do what they are expected to do but live life to the full.

Funny and cute episode...Sam's reaction when he discovered he was in bed with a woman he didn't know was priceless. :lol And Hamlet in the nude...Poor Sam...but lucky (female especially) Scott fans. ;) As always, Al was in his prime too. 8)

This was a nice lighthearted episode after some more dramatic intense leaps.

This was a pretty meh episode in my opinion. But, it has one of the funniest opening/leap in sequences and Al is hilarious in this episode. The expressions on his face as he listens to Sam say his lines after he's gone on in the nude as Hamlet are priceless (as is his 'oh boy') and I laugh out loud when after Sam says it was the most humiliating experience in his life Al says, "What are you complaining about? You should be proud. That audience was riveted. It was like they were watching a car wreck. Like it was horrible but you were too fascinated to look away." And Sam is like, thank you so much for your support.

I watched this episode today after a long break,god I miss my QL marathon.I thought it was an OK episode,there are some great moments in it but it will not be among my favourite episode list.

The daughter-in-law was played by the younger incarnation of Breaking Bad's 'Skyler', the actress 'Anna Gunn'.
ahaha,the moment I saw her and realized whom she's,I was like "she's pregnant,again?!"

and I laugh out loud when after Sam says it was the most humiliating experience in his life Al says, "What are you complaining about? You should be proud. That audience was riveted. It was like they were watching a car wreck. Like it was horrible but you were too fascinated to look away." And Sam is like, thank you so much for your support.
Same here. I appreciate Al for putting that into the words.:roflmao:nekkid Scott must be hard to take your eyes away.

A decidedly average episode this one (perhaps even below average). In fact, it's one of the worst things an episode of Quantum Leap can be... Boring.

I don't know really what it is that I find so dull and forgettable about this episode, but that's just the way I feel. I do like its central theme, though. The double standard regarding older men dating younger women and older women dating younger men is a little ridiculous in this day and age (and even back in the late 60's when this episode is set). As a man who once dated a woman who was almost 20 years his senior, I do sympathise with Jane and Joe (Sam's host).

That being said, though, I do find a large majority of this episode to be lacking in any drive. The whole club scene goes nowhere and, quite frankly, Jane's son and Ted are both just annoying characters with little redeeming qualities. I also find the ending to be a tad sloppy and rushed.

The one shining, redeeming moment is when Sam has to perform Hamlet in the nude! Really funny stuff between him and Al during it, too. Easily the best moment of this episode.

My rating. Fair. A forgettable one, to be brutally honest.