Return/Revenge of Evil Leaper original air question.

SonOfSam

Project QL Intern
Jul 18, 2006
Indianapolis,IN
I bought season five and just finished watching the evil leaper arc. On the DVD they are broken into two episodes. Am I crazy in remebering that when these episodes originaly aired they played as a two hour show like LHO? I had always noticed that the end of Return the leap in was longer than normal too.

P.S I forgot how much I hated the up tempo theme in the final season. Ugg it makes me cringe.

You're absolutely right, it did air as a 2 hour event back in February of '93. I really can't remember if the leap in was longer than normal, it was a really long time ago, lol. I do believe I have the original 2 hour event somewhere on tape, but boxed away, it would probably take days to find and see. Also, I hated the season 5 theme originally when I first heard it, but after listening to it on the DVD's, I kind of like it now. =o)

Thank you. I thought I was going mad. That might explain the leap in oddness. The way it is cut and originally aired they probly didn't have the intro/ recap. I wonder why it wasn't presented on the DVD this way. You'd think it would since LHO was the original aired version.

I don't understand what their doing with these DVDs. I've got a few TV series where feature - length episodes are cut in two. With QL season5, I've noticed when showing it on ITV3 not so long ago that they split the Evil Leapers Return/Revenge in two. They did the same with 'Genesis' (obviously to keep their time slots). With 'Mirror Image', on ITV3, they used the upbeat theme, unlike the originally aired and DVD (I always preferred the original theme).

SamBeckett94 said:
I don't understand what their doing with these DVDs. I've got a few TV series where feature - length episodes are cut in two. With QL season5, I've noticed when showing it on ITV3 not so long ago that they split the Evil Leapers Return/Revenge in two. They did the same with 'Genesis' (obviously to keep their time slots). With 'Mirror Image', on ITV3, they used the upbeat theme, unlike the originally aired and DVD (I always preferred the original theme).

Return / Revenge was also shown as two separate episodes when it originally aired in Britain. I should know, as I was watching it at the time on the BBC.

SonOfSam said:
Thank you. I thought I was going mad. That might explain the leap in oddness. The way it is cut and originally aired they probly didn't have the intro/ recap. I wonder why it wasn't presented on the DVD this way. You'd think it would since LHO was the original aired version.

Well, each side of the Region 1 DVDs holds a maximum of 4 episodes. The first part, "Return Of the Evil Leaper," is the last episode on Side B of Disc 2. So unless Universal made Side B only have 3 episodes and saved it for the next disc, it would have to be split in two simply for spacing purposes. Because of this, I believe Universal used the syndicated format instead of the original airing's. If Universal were to keep Side B with only 3 episodes, they could have easily bumped "The Leap Between the States" to Disc 3, Side B, which only has the last two episodes of the season. So there would have definitely been room left. I guess Universal was trying to be more neat with their episode formatting.

And speaking of the original airings, I could swear that the titles "Return Of the Evil Leaper" and "Revenge Of the Evil Leaper" never existed in the original airing. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I remember the titles as being simply "Return" and "Revenge." Also, the longer-than-usual leap-in at the end of "Return Of the Evil Leaper" probably never seemed that way in the original airing because it was all connected anyway.

Last edited: