Where's she been?!?!?

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
Hello all.

I'm very sorry that I've not been around lately. Things have been... for lack of a better terms... stressful and sleepless.

In the past couple of months, my work load at school has slowly grown and came to a head as of yesterday when I found out that I have lost my co-teacher to another position, which puts me into the room as a regular teacher giving me even more responsibility and giving me enough room to hang myself if that's the case. This in of itself is stressful.

Financially, my family has been in a strain because we were preparing for Matt, my husband for those who don't know, to have an elective surgery called Gastric Sleeve. For those of you who know of my husband, he's a rather large man and he's tried diets several diets, but it has always come back and it doesn't help that he's having a problem with his knees as well. So, we were saving up money, refinancing our house, etc., to help pay for this particular surgery that our health insurance will NOT pay a cent for. REALLY irritating.

Just last week, January 23, Matt went to Dallas and had the surgery done. What Gastric Sleeve basically does is that the doctor goes in laproscopically and reshapes his stomach to resemble a banana and the remainder of it (about 80%) of his stomach was removed completely from his body. He will not be hungry. He will eat much less... and he will lose weight. The doctor said that within the first 3 months that my husband would lose 100 pounds easily. Heck, it might be more than that. Since he began is liquid diet to prep for the surgery (a week before) he's lost 23 pounds already. He's been in pain and rightly so by losing 80% of his stomach.

I've lost sleep ever since we've been working on refinancing our house. I have kept myself busy with mixing. I've sound mixed quite a bit since I had to shut down TVS -- which I'm still very upset about. If you guys must know why I did so, here's the reason -- the plain and HONEST reason: I'm tired of people telling me that they'd get me a story by a certain time... and then when it comes time for it to go up, it's not in my in box. I've put up with a LOT of things in the past. A hell of a lot and I'm sorry that I've had to do this especially since in a little over a year, we'll have a convention to go to. I have put a lot of time and energy into TVS and Eleiece and I have put a lot of time and energy into Quantum Retribution - but how am I to do TVS when I'm not getting the help from the writers? I mean, honestly?

As for the mixing -- Quantum Retribution has been taken by Darker Projects (www.darkerprojects.com). They are hosting it. Brian, I will (with your permission) continue to put up the links to their site for the rest of the season so that it will be up for everyone to listen to. I do hope that people continue to drop by and listen to that storyline even though it's at a different venue.

I was also sick with cedar fever for about 2 weeks before Matt had his surgery and I'm still not at 100%.

Things have NOT been going smoothly over here and even Eleiece doesn't know the whole story. I'm just dealing with things as they hit me guys and I'm sorry that I've not been available as I have been in the past.

My humblest of apologies.

Oh my dear MJ

So sad to hear what a rough time you have been going through.

But why on earth haven't you let us in before? We are your friends and we want to be there for you.

You know that now we know we're gonna be praying for you all, even if that is all we can do. And that we are just an im or email away if u need a sympathetic ear/eye.

So don't suffer alone hon, y'hear?

QL Damsel said:
Helen, I know where my friends are. I didn't want to burden them though, either. I mean, I burden Eleiece enough with my problems as it is... even if she *is* the other half of my brain.

You are never a burden, no friend in need is.

Al's Place is a community for a reason. We know what friends are for, and it isn't just for the fun times. So stop :banghead will ya, and cry :help once in a while.

QL Damsel said:
Helen, I know where my friends are. I didn't want to burden them though, either. I mean, I burden Eleiece enough with my problems as it is... even if she *is* the other half of my brain.

To my shared brain...you know who you are....read my lips: You are NOT NOW NOR EVER WILL BE a burden to me in any way, shape, form or fashion! I'm here for you whenever you need me. Period. After all, what are friends, shared brains and big sisters for anyway? :) To paraphrase an old Bee Gees song, "She ain't heavy, she's my sister..." So there, little sister. :p {{{{hugs}}}}

Eleiece ....a/k/a the other half of MJ's brain.

Friends Are There to Help

MJ

Never ever feel you are a burden. Those of us who have gotten to know you (virtually or in RL) care for you and the situations you find yourself in. Prayers are always free but one needs to know that prayers are needed. Hugs (virtual but still effective) are also freely given. Please don't :banghead needlessly when letting us know can bring about people who will help lift you when you need it.

I'm so sorry to hear of the difficulties now. I will certainly pray that things smooth out for you and yours and that soon, things will be better in the future.

I know I don't know you awfully well but the reason I joined this forum is that it was obvious that people really did care about each other here. So if you need help, advise, prayers, a funny comment or two here and there, then count me in. I'm sure there will be times when I'll need the same in return, so in my books that not called a 'burden' thats called 'sharing the load'.

I would like to add too, that by sharing like you have done above that it helps others who have been going through a difficult time to put their hand up and say, yes I've been struggling a little too and that in turn helps them, so again... not a burden.

Take care and know your VB's (virtual buddies) are thinking of you.

Thanks for this update - I was worried about you. Still am. Always will be. Enough said.

As for QR, yes that's fine - and good idea.

As for The Virtual Seasons... I thought there was still an interest in Quantum Leap fanfic out there. Was I wrong? There are great stories by great authors on TVS right now - where did they go? What - you guys can't take an hour or two a week to hammer out a great story for QL fans to read? Shame on some of you.

Show us all you still believe Quantum deserves a good fanfic series. Or don't. Maybe you already have.

Fanfic

Actually...if you read in the Orig FanFic Thread, there are some good stories (some of them new or relatively new...just not TVS)...

Also...as to TVS, it was said it was on hiatus so until the dam is opened, we can't do much about it.

That is not to be taken as a push, MJ...get yourself to a place you feel good. We're all behind you.

I agree there are great stories besides TVS. But I think that was MJ's issue - some people said they were behind her, but didn't follow through. I'd like to see the series continue when MJ is ready and when the writers can follow through on their promises. I'm just asking all you guys out there when that is going to be?

Sorry if I'm butting in, MJ. :)

TVS Fanfic

Ok...sorry. I wasn't on the schedule to write any, but there are some ideas that can be pulled together quickly if MJ needs them (a couple to be co-written with Cpt. Jules...one a comedy piece that we're sure you're gonna love.) I've always made sure that any stories I've promised are on time and under budget.

alsplacebartender said:
I agree there are great stories besides TVS. But I think that was MJ's issue - some people said they were behind her, but didn't follow through. I'd like to see the series continue when MJ is ready and when the writers can follow through on their promises. I'm just asking all you guys out there when that is going to be?

Sorry if I'm butting in, MJ. :)

No, Brian, you are not butting in. You're making a point that I've wanted to make for awhile now and just haven't wanted to actually write the words.

The not following through began about 2 years ago and for some reason has started to become the trend. That's why I had to go from just whatever story that was written to an arc of stories to a now set deadline to get a story in. Some of the writers don't have a problem with a deadline, while others, promise something and don't make the damn (sorry but it's needed) deadline.

I do appreciate all the kind words guys and gals. I really do. I'm sorry that I've just "vanished". I don't mean to just drop off the face of the earth.

Heck, I'm also sorry about Quantum Retribution. Because all of this, I'm behind now on it. *sighs*

As for the other half of my brain, Mrs. C. E. Krawiec, nyah right back at ya. :p

As for TVS -- I'd like all the writers to get in their stories... then perhaps, I will get it started again. I have a good amount... just need ALL of them now.

TVS Fanfic Stories

Do you need stories? Seriously, there are some we could send if we have a week or two to send them. Just haven't pursued it because of the hiatus and not wanting to push at ALL with the way things were left.

Ok, my two cents worth on the TVS

It is precisely so as not to let people down that I don't offer a story until it is finished. I know I suck at deadlines, so I won't put myself or others under the pressure of waiting on a story from me.
I'm only doing one now under deadline cos I want to get an entry to the leapcon fanfic competition.

So I won't promise any VS stories at the moment. IF I get any written, I'll send them and MJ can hold them until there's a place a schedule.

Perhaps with the increasingly rigorous demands of the dratted REAL LIFE it is unrealistic to expect a weekly story. We are not professional writers - we have a day job.

I would humbly offer the suggestion that yes TVS is definitely worth saving, preserving and continuing, but that it may be more realistic for the extended hiatus to remain in operation until MJ has been offered a season's worth of material, then it could be posted less often than once a week, to eek it out until the next batch comes in (allowing for another hiatus to get the next round of stories) if that makes any kind of sense at all.

Also, writers could help by making sure their material is properly proof read before submission, so that MJ's editing job is less onerous.

MJ, first of all, I'm glad you've told us a little of what your issues are. We'll definitely be praying for your husband's swift recovery, for your financial prosperity, and for grace and strength to get through these next difficult months. Please don't ever think it's a burden; a rope of three strands is stronger than a single strand (that was part of the verse in my devotion this morning, believe it or not).

Second, I haven't been writing any QL lately, and frankly, I'm way behind on even reading TVS season 14, so I'm not even sure I know who all the characters are and whatnot. But if you want to build a surplus of episodes, I'll plow through and see if I can come up with something decent that fits into TVS canon. I'm hesitant to promise that I'll get you something air-able, since I'm preparing for an upcoming trial (and, really, unkept promises seem to be the point of your frustration), but I'll give it my best shot.

Actually, if someone wants to shoot me a plot bunny, that might help.

Actually, it's not that I need NEW stories, per say. It would be nice to at least get the stories that people have said that they would write. THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I'd like to air the stories that I have, but I'm not going to do that until I GET all the stories. I do hope that everyone understands. It's just very frustrating to be promised something and then it's not delivered.

Sucks.

MJ, you have a lot on your plate, my friend. I'm sorry I haven't been online much to be a shoulder for you. You know you can call me ANYTIME right? (Well, at least until we move to the UK LOL) All my love and prayers with you and Matt!!!

QL Damsel said:
Actually, it's not that I need NEW stories, per say. It would be nice to at least get the stories that people have said that they would write. THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Maybe those who haven't finished their stories would be willing to collaborate or hand them off to someone else to finish? Writing is such a personal thing, but people who are holding up the show should be willing to let someone else take over if they can't meet their commitments.

This is a hobby and we do it for fun--if it gets to be more stress than fun, then something needs to change so it is fun again.

And, MJ, I'm sorry your health insurance company is being so short-sighted and obtuse. :(

Maybe those who haven't finished their stories would be willing to collaborate or hand them off to someone else to finish? Writing is such a personal thing, but people who are holding up the show should be willing to let someone else take over if they can't meet their commitments.
If someone wanted to pass on an outline or synopsis of a promised story in progress, I'm sure I could finish it within a reasonable turnaround time.

I am fairly new to the forums but I have been toying with the idea of writing a QL storie. However, I am only in the first half of the 7th season and afraid the story wouldn't be following the VS until I finish reading it all.
I will echo everyone else here too. I am sorry to hear that you are going through some hard things, M.J. I will lend you my shoulder if you want. Just keep your head up you'll get through it.