Good 15 50.00%
Average 11 36.67%
Fair 2 6.67%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #26
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Having chosen an article for a project regarding a recent storm not yet classified as a Hurricane in Europe, I had the urge to watch this episode tonight.
Out of curiosity I did some research on Hurricane Camille which revealed it to have been an actual occurrence.
Quote:
1969- Hurricane Camille

Hurricane Camille was the third and strongest tropical cyclone and second hurricane during the 1969 Atlantic hurricane season. It smashed into the Mississippi Gulf Coast on the night of August 17, 1969, and carved a path of destruction until the early hours of 18 August.
http://www.hurricanescience.org/hist...1960s/camille/

In addition there might also be some truth to the Hurricane Camille party. It's seemingly been diluted into partial myth though one certainty is that Quantum Leap had completely fictionalized it.
Supposedly 23 guests were partying on the third floor of the Richelieu Manor apartments in Pass Christian, Mississippi and when a wall of water flooded and destroyed the building (as QL had portrayed) only a single survivor was left.
This however is only one version of many. There are at least two different identities of the sole survivor while other accounts claim there was more than one survivor and deny a party even occurred.

Quote:
One persistent account about Camille states that a hurricane party was held on the third floor of the Richelieu Manor Apartments in Pass Christian, Mississippi, in the path of the eyewall as it made landfall. The high storm surge flooded and destroyed the building, and there was only one survivor to tell of the story of the others. Who the survivor is, how many party guests there were, and just how far the sole survivor was swept by the storm varies with the retelling...Survivor Ben Duckworth is quoted in Hurricane Camille: Monster Storm of the Gulf Coast as stating that the Richelieu was a designated civil defense air-raid shelter. However, their faith in the building's sturdiness was unfounded, as it was completely demolished by the storm. Twenty-three people are known to have stayed in the Richelieu Apartments during the hurricane, of whom eight died. The tale of the lone survivor and the party appears to have originated with survivor Mary Ann Gerlach.[8] Other survivors, including Duckworth and Richard Keller, have expressed irritation at the story.[22][23] "The hurricane party never happened, nor was the number of deaths associated with the apartment inhabitants accurate," says Pat Fitzpatrick, Mississippi State University professor and author of Hurricanes: A Reference Handbook.[24]
The site of the Richeliu Apartments, the corner of Henderson Ave and US90 in Pass Christian, later became a shopping center. Coincidentally, it was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Camille
(NOTE: Typically I don't use Wikipedia, I find myself having difficulty trusting it though if it's the only or one of few which gives a detailed account of something I will take a look and consider it's information).

Here is another account by the woman mentioned in the above excerpt, Mary Ann Gerlach who is claimed in some versions to have been the sole survivor.
Quote:
5. An enduring story about Hurricane Camille in 1969 is that residents of the Richelieu Manor apartment building in Pass Christian, Miss., threw a "hurricane party," and that only one person survived. But that tale, told by survivor Mary Ann Gerlach, is in serious doubt. Other survivors have been identified, and one insisted that he and another person stayed not to party but to help a fellow resident. Contacted recently by the Tribune, Gerlach stood by her story: "I don't care if anyone believes it or not. There was no reason for me to lie. I didn't get a penny out of it." Incidentally, when Gerlach was charged with killing her 11th husband (yes, 11th), years after Camille, her lawyer used an insanity defense, citing Gerlach's hurricane ordeal. That story didn't fly, and she did time in prison.
Source: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ricane-camille

Personally that last bit has me questioning this woman's credibility.

Another account which claims there were only eight deaths and no party.

Quote:
One of the most enduring myths of Camille was the death of 23 residents of the Richelieu Apartments in Pass Christian who were said to be having a “hurricane party.” Recent research suggests that eight people died in the building when 30-foot storm waves obliterated it. But there was no party. The attention given to the tale has obscured the overwhelming tragedy of the Williams family. While the father, Paul Williams, survived after being swept out of Trinity Church where his family had taken refuge, his wife and all 12 of his children drowned.
Source: http://www.nola.com/175years/index.s...e_was_a_c.html

Nothing that I have read however has come close to matching the Quantum Leap account though as fans we know that they romanticize situations which often accommodate Sam's need to save everyone.
I however find this fascinating.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Re-watched this episode this afternoon as part of my comparison between the video recorded episodes and the official Region 2 DVDs.
Firstly - no changes detected.
But something occurred to me.
I know it wouldn't serve the tension of the story and the 'last minute' rescue, but why didn't Sam go straight to the hurricane party and get Al to go and lead the dog back to Unibelles? It can't have been that far because the dog got home quickly. We know Al could do it, because he led the dogs away in Unchained ep. They knew as early as How the Tess was Won that animals can see Al.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #28
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

While an interesting thought Helen, that's an uncertain approach as there is no controlling whether or not the dog would follow Al the entire way. Several things could spook an animal in a storm and Al can't grab him if he were to take off in another direction. Even if he could Cissy could have gotten worried that "Archie" was taking too long and went out after both he and the dog.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 09-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #29
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
While an interesting thought Helen, that's an uncertain approach as there is no controlling whether or not the dog would follow Al the entire way. Several things could spook an animal in a storm and Al can't grab him if he were to take off in another direction. Even if he could Cissy could have gotten worried that "Archie" was taking too long and went out after both he and the dog.
All fair points - and ways they could have added tension!
I still think it would have been logical for Sam to suggest it, even if Al dismissed the idea for the very reasons you give. Or for Al to offer and Sam to point out the flaws in the plan.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:18 AM   #30
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

That's true, it would have been logical for one of the characters to at least suggest it.
Another flaw also occurred to me.
Had Al been attempting to lead the dog through the storm he wouldn't have been at Unibelle's to witness Cissy come to be in the new danger when Lisa showed up and without the prior warning he'd had Sam may not have made it back in time. That's actually the more likely scenario at that point than Cissy leaving.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
servo75
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Well watching the episode now I noticed something else. It appears that Joe was up to something with her because not only did Al mention that she was last seeing leaving the shelter with him but he claims that teh dog Bofus was scratching to go out but a quick scene clearly shows the dog lying peacefully at the old couple's feet and Joe lead him away. So it's clear that he meant something but Sam inercepted him when he insisted that Cissy stay and let him go after the dog. And that was most likely what led to Lisa. In the original history it was Joe letting to dog out that got her killed.

All things consitered though looking back I kind of like the idea of Lisa now. A pysho jealous ex-gf is a pretty cool idea.
One thing that puzzles me about this is that when Joe offered to go with Sam to get the dog, why the heck did Sam turn him down?

I don't think Joe could have been the original killer, because why would he follow Cissy back to her house? Then again, why would Lisa? Clearly the "thing" she went to get was the dog, and Joe was seen letting the dog out but he seems like a normal person, I don't buy that he would have any reason to kill Cissy, Lisa's the much better suspect, even in the OH.
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #32
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Just watched this episode again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
One thing that puzzles me about this is that when Joe offered to go with Sam to get the dog, why the heck did Sam turn him down?
Because Joe was an idiot. Even if the dog was scratching to get out, which he wasn't, with the weather that was going on outside anyone with half a brain wouldn't let a pet outside. I don't know whether he was the original killer but his action was at the very least plain stupid if not malicious. Sam had enough problems without someone like that 'helping' him, so it's perfectly understandable that Sam would turn him down.

There are some interesting things in the episode and the footage is cool, but there is some bad plotting. I guess they were trying to set up conflict and keep us wondering who was the culprit, but it was badly executed in my opinion. It all hinges on a blatantly stupid and mean-spirited act by Joe -- and had he turned out to be the culprit that would've made a bit more sense in the narrative, where he's using the dog to get Cissy out of the shelter and to her house and vulnerable if he wants to hurt her. Instead it's left standing as a random act of stupid and it feels forced in order to move the plot in a certain direction. To me anyway. Other viewers may have very different takes on it.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #33
servo75

Okay, I have a feeling Lisa was the original killer too. Joe had several chances to kill Cissy but didn't. When I wondered why Sam turned Joe down, I meant that if Cissy was last seen with Joe, then if he separated the two, he couldn't have done anything to Cissy. In fact Cissy offered to go with Sam too. I do find the sequence of events rather mysterious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue enigma View Post
Just watched this episode again.

Because Joe was an idiot. Even if the dog was scratching to get out, which he wasn't, with the weather that was going on outside anyone with half a brain wouldn't let a pet outside. I don't know whether he was the original killer but his action was at the very least plain stupid if not malicious. Sam had enough problems without someone like that 'helping' him, so it's perfectly understandable that Sam would turn him down.

There are some interesting things in the episode and the footage is cool, but there is some bad plotting. I guess they were trying to set up conflict and keep us wondering who was the culprit, but it was badly executed in my opinion. It all hinges on a blatantly stupid and mean-spirited act by Joe -- and had he turned out to be the culprit that would've made a bit more sense in the narrative, where he's using the dog to get Cissy out of the shelter and to her house and vulnerable if he wants to hurt her. Instead it's left standing as a random act of stupid and it feels forced in order to move the plot in a certain direction. To me anyway. Other viewers may have very different takes on it.
Sort of, yes.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #34
servo75

True that in the OH it's probable that it was the dog that Cissy went back to get. But then would Joe follow her back in that hurricane? To me it seems just as likely that the OH death was accidental
Sort of, yes.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #35
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

The Joe character is indeed a plot hole.
Here is my theory:

Joe let the dog out into the storm with the intention of luring Sam (Archie) out of Unibelle's to get Cissy alone and had offered to accompany him to appear genuine knowing he'd be turned down (Sam's earlier behavior towards him was pretty telling).

Here's where it gets very grey area though.

As to why Sam turned him down, he clearly didn't trust Joe on the suspicion that he would harm Cissy based on an earlier moment where he'd started to manhandle her but leaving him behind was leaving her alone with him.
On the other hand, however, Sam seemed to see through Joe's claim that the dog had scratched at the door in request to be let out (which was stated to be a lie by a shot of the dog lying at the elderly couple's feet just before Joe reveals that he let it out) and might have felt that he was a liability.

In addition, in either of these cases, despite his immoral actions, Sam would have felt a responsibility to keep Joe alive as well.

The suspicion of Joe as possibly killing Cissy was unsubstantial, not only was it underdeveloped but it seemed like just a lazy way to temporarily turn the viewer's attention away from Lisa.

Technically the first known killer was the hurricane as she'd originally been killed whilst trying to retrieve something from her home. If, however, that something was still the dog, which is implied to be probable by her statement:
(Sam: "Where are you going?")
"Home, where Bofus went"
then if it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Joe had let the dog out with the intent to get Cissy killed he could have been convicted for manslaughter but not only would that be a long shot, I'd never bought him as having the pretense to either want her dead or to kill her in the heat of passion.
Joe wasn't Prince Charming of course, he'd shown signs of being forceful thus possible controlling and he was disrespectful but he did seem to have genuine feelings for her that he'd never gotten over and that Cissy seemed perfectly fine in his presence out of Archie's sight suggested that he'd never abused her.

So as far as I'm concerned Camille and Lisa were the true threats to Cissy the entire time.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.

Last edited by Sam Beckett Fan; 05-03-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #36
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

In the original history, Lisa had followed Cissy to her house, and killed her, disguising it as an accident from flying debris in the hurricane.

In the revised history, with Cissy at Anabelle's, she tried to kill Cissy there.

As for the timing, I think that in the original history, Cissy must have discovered that the dog was let out much later than Sam realised, and so Sam retrieved the dog much earlier than Cissy would have, giving him time to get to the Hurricane Party and back to Anabelle's with enough time to save Cissy.