Go Back   Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community >
Main Quantum Leap Discussions
> Episode Guide Ratings and Reviews > Quantum Leap: Season Five

View Poll Results: The Last Door
Excellent 23 74.19%
Good 5 16.13%
Average 1 3.23%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician
 
blue enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarCrystal View Post
Yeah, I may be beating a dead horse - but I never liked the trilogy. The whole thing seemed "off", in my opinion. But, it's the fifth season, and something tells me they were thinking of just about anything to keep the series going.
I agree. I'm not a fan of the trilogy at all and for several reasons the whole thing is just ick. Deborah Pratt was arguably the best writer on the show, certainly one of the best, but the trilogy feels like a self-insert (or Mary Sue as Julia called it in another thread). So, I'm one of the people that brought down the average vote on these. I agree that the whole thing is 'off' and out of character.

When I saw this episode the first time (before Mirror Image) I thought the reason they brought in Sammie Jo as Sam's daughter was to set things up to bring him home. From the very beginning it's clear that only Sam can bring Sam home - Al says as much in the pilot episode. Nobody is as smart as Sam, or understands Project Quantum Leap to the degree that he does. Now they brought into the show a daughter who inherited his genius, his talent for quantum physics and we find out that she now works at the project and has a theory on how to get him home. So, I thought they were setting that up with this character - and that was the only reason I found her presence tolerable at all. Then they didn't even do that.

I mean, as far as we know Sam doesn't have a child with his own wife. But he has this child on a leap. Ick.
__________________

Last edited by blue enigma; 12-08-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added commentary
blue enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Shackallions210
PQL Visitor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonea View Post
When Sam sees Laura in the hallway through the bedroom door we can't tell if she's really there or not. But later we find out she's alive. The only way Sam could have seen her is if she was really there. Yet Abigail doesn't see her? Sam runs to the hall and sees Abigail, yet she didn't see her own mother? And she was in the burning house (and may have actually started the fire when she appears to have confronted Lita Aider)? The woman seems to get around just fine, yet we are told she hasn't left the institution since she got there. She called a cab without being noticed??
Yeah, Laura Fuller's presence in the first part was unsettling. Al mentioned that she had been catatonic in a rocking chair since Clayton brought her to the asylum two years prior. In the third part, Sam's narration states that her confinement in the asylum was self-imposed. Which means she had been voluntary and could come-n-go as she pleased.

I don't think she started the fire, but she had to have confronted Leta ("No, no get away from me. I'll kill you....I'll kill you all!!") make her drop her candle lamp. What I wish was explained was why she was like a haunting ghost in the first part. Immune to fire?

Also, why'd she get (choice or not) institutionalized as an adult? Though she witnessed her mother's rampage as a child, she seemed high-functioning enough as an adult and had a good relationship with Abigail and Clayton prior to.
__________________
Shackallions210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #28
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

This was always the most tolerable part of the trilogy for me and again a more plausible scenario than where it begun. The fact that Lita Aider continued her wrath on Abigail from the grave, committing suicide to frame Abigail for her own murder, I actually find to be pretty brilliant.
In some ways one must feel badly for Lita Aider considering the circumstances of her bitter rage and honestly one could question the religious conduct of the clear show in this entire story of God's denial of the justice Lita Aider so desired and wasn't exactly undeserved.
In the case of Violet if Laura Fuller were of sound mind and thus her confession taken completely seriously I could be wrong but I believe she could have faced Voluntary Manslaughter charges. Or perhaps it would be Involuntary Manslaughter. I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
Voluntary manslaughter is defined as the unlawful and intentional killing of another human being, without malice or deliberation, upon a sudden heat of passion caused by adequate provocation. Of these several elements, the defining characteristic of voluntary manslaughter is the requirement that the killing be committed upon a sudden heat of passion.
Quote:
The second kind of manslaughter is known as involuntary manslaughter. This crime occurs when the defendant kills the victim by accident, but under circumstances that justify some amount of punishment. It is often said that involuntary manslaughter amounts to “criminal negligence.” In other words, the defendant acted so recklessly that the law imposes criminal liability, even though the defendant did not intend to kill. A common example of involuntary manslaughter is a drunken driver who causes an auto wreck resulting in death.
Source: http://www.hg.org/manslaughter-law.html
Also I researched the laws specific to the state of Louisiana and was unable to find much but it does seem as though they use these terms/definitions. It certainly must fall under one of these however. Thus Lita Aider still should have seen some justice even if it was from the grave.

Interestingly I accidentally stumbled upon an intriguing piece of information. The state of Louisiana established something in 1978, the year of this portion of the trilogy leaps called the Children's Code which allowed the short term trial of juveniles but it wasn't actually put into effect until 1992. Regardless this may not have mattered in this case since the accusation pertaining to Violet was 25 years old by 1978. I just found it pretty ironic.
http://ojj.la.gov/index.php?page=sub&id=150

Now lets talk about the Leapee, Larry Statton (apparently the third as we learn here for the first time). I found it pretty well done how they in a way foreshadowed us to that by his appearances in the first two episodes and established him to the audience as a likable character before we see Sam assume his identity. Though clearly there was some change in him by then considering how whipped that b**** of a wife seemed to have had him, I assume she's the reason it was implied that Satton didn't originally take Abigail's case.
As a side note, his reflection was by far the best done aged makeup in the entire trilogy. Honestly with characters like Beau and Marie it wasn't too believable. It was also the most interesting mind meld since Dreams having Sam suffer from Satton's heart condition.
Something about that doesn't add up for me though, how could Statton's medication relieve Sam of a condition he doesn't actually have but just feeling? Wouldn't this be a reason for it to actually harm him? Though I am unsure what Statton's medication was (I forget the name Sam had mentioned), and the following reference is fictional so be aware that I'm presenting it with a grain of salt, an episode of one of my favorite crime drams Cold Case suggested that Dijoxin a medication for an irregular heartbeat can be used to poison someone who does not need it.
This however is getting into complex territory as it involves the body vs. soul debate so just about anything could be argued here.

On to Sammy-Jo. I've never been fair to her, always judging her by the fact that she's Abigail's daughter and of my disapproval of how she was conceived. Not that there is anything to base a separate judgement on. We learn almost nothing about her. Since I am unsure if I was clear on this in my review of the second part I shall say this here; my theory that GTFW meant her to be conceived (see my review of the second part for an elaboration) is NOT approval. Though I suppose I've made more than clear throughout my entire membership here that I'm not a Sam/Abigail fan hehe and that hasn't changed. Sorry.
I believe Sammy-Jo could be a decent character if written right (which the published novel Loch Ness Leap did not in my opinion, she's ten year old Abigail all over again except she's a young adult!). I might even give her a cameo in my fanfiction, which I am hoping I can recover my beginning of., I lost it. Long irrelevant story, feel free to PM me if you want to know.
By the way I would have loved for them to discuss what her theory was to get Sam home and if they'd tried it.

Lets move on to Sam's visit to Laura Fuller in this episode as he did every time.
She says something that doesn't make sense to me, which granted is valid considering she's not in her right mind but she always seemed to suddenly become pretty clear with Sam. Especially in this episode, when she realized it was him she was suddenly almost sane.
Anyway what she said that I'm questioning was:
"Clayton said you'd come and then I'd have to tell about Violet."
She couldn't have been referring to when Sam was Clayton because she sees him, she knows he's not the person he leaps into. I'm certain this must have meant something as opposed to a mentally unstable person's babble but what?
I've already expressed my thoughts on the burns displayed on her here in connection with the fire in the first episode and have nothing to add so I'll bypass that here. I had originally intended to save that for this thread but decided to keep it with the episode it primarily focuses on.

So my overall evaluation of the trilogy as viewed for the second time:
What's changed is that now I can tolerate watching it and as I've expressed do have an improved view of some of it's plot aspects. What hasn't changed is obviously my view of Abigail, mostly as a child but also in her relationship with Sam.
So while before I am not sure I would have been able to screen cap it for my collection with my original views of it, now you can for sure expect it.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

So Lightining McQueenie brought up a thought in the Deliver Us From Evil thread and I've deciding to bring my response here to prevent off topic discussion over there.
Apologies for the double post but my edit window has ended on the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie
What I don't really understand is why Laura never reported it. If Laura had called an ambulance they may have been able to retrieve Violet's body and treat her injuries / resuscitate her. Maybe because of Abigail beating Violet up, the rivalry beween Laura's and Leta's families, combined with the town's beliefs about her mental state, made Laura believe if it was ever found out she'd be charged with murder. Mind you, the alternative, rotting away in a mental institution, wouldn't be considered any better...
This is an excellent catch. She could have just told the police that she'd maybe dropped an earring into the well and when she'd gazed in to see where it went there was Violet. Though that's not believable and you are probably right that her so called "cursed" past probably wouldn't allow her to get away with something like that. Not only because the police probably wouldn't buy her cover story but Lita Aider would've just accused her of covering for Abigail, in fact I am willing to bet the Beckett farm (haha) that had she been standing in that courtroom these 25 years later that's exactly what she would have done.
Also wasn't it implied somewhere that Clayton told her to keep her mouth shut? Isn't that why he put her in the institution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie
We actually aren't given any confirmation that Violet died instantly.
With this I disagree. Were you paying attention to that drop? I doubt anyone could survive that but especially a child as I believe their skulls aren't as hard as an adult's.
In addition I believe her head was shown to have been bent into a unnatural position, suggesting that the impact broke her neck which is entirely plausible.

If however you were right and Laura had left Violet down there when she could have been saved that just adds on to the Manslaughter charge I suggest in my first post.

Also I've just now noticed blue_enigma's post which I'd like to respond to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_enigma
Deborah Pratt was arguably the best writer on the show, certainly one of the best, but the trilogy feels like a self-insert (or Mary Sue as Julia called it in another thread).
Judging by the backstory I heard of the Trilogy concept I believe self service is exactly what it was.
She'd wanted to explore the idea of Sam having sex in a leap, preferred this in fact to the re-introducing of Donna in The Leap Back.
I've said this in the thread for the first part and I shall repeat it; this was a Stephan King Novel not a Quantum Leap episode. That's my beef with it other than Abigail as a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_enigma
I thought the reason they brought in Sammie Jo as Sam's daughter was to set things up to bring him home.
See that's a problem for me as well and relates to my mention of how we never learn her theory. The fact that it ended with her being implied as the key to bringing Sam home and then they never went anywhere further with her. That seemed sloppy and makes the Mirror Image ending that much more of a let down regardless of the fact that it was ended with a grain of salt to leave it open for a sixth season. Honestly though the concept I was told they had in mind wasn't all that appealing IMO and did not really involve Sam. It was Al becoming a leaper in search of Sam who's aura never returned to the waiting room after Mirror Image with Sammy Jo as his observer. As much as I would have liked to see more of Al as a leaper you can't have either him or Sam without the other. You just can't.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #30
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
This is an excellent catch. She could have just told the police that she'd maybe dropped an earring into the well and when she'd gazed in to see where it went there was Violet. Though that's not believable and you are probably right that her so called "cursed" past probably wouldn't allow her to get away with something like that. Not only because the police probably wouldn't buy her cover story but Lita Aider would've just accused her of covering for Abigail, in fact I am willing to bet the Beckett farm (haha) that had she been standing in that courtroom these 25 years later that's exactly what she would have done.
Also wasn't it implied somewhere that Clayton told her to keep her mouth shut? Isn't that why he put her in the institution?
That is an interesting theory, that Laura had told Clayton, but I don't think it can be right, because if that was the case, then Sam originally wouldn't have leapt into Clayton. He'd have leapt into someone else, say Marie, and tried to stop Clayton and Abigail from perishing in the fire while still trying to find out what happened, as Clayton would be able to tell him.

Then again, Al could have just asked Clayton in the Waiting Room...

Quote:
With this I disagree. Were you paying attention to that drop? I doubt anyone could survive that but especially a child as I believe their skulls aren't as hard as an adult's.
In addition I believe her head was shown to have been bent into a unnatural position, suggesting that the impact broke her neck which is entirely plausible.

If however you were right and Laura had left Violet down there when she could have been saved that just adds on to the Manslaughter charge I suggest in my first post.
I'm just thinking in terms of what I would do in that situation. There's no way I wouldn't try to help a girl who'd just fallen down a well.

But you're right, she probably did die instantly. There's no way anyone could know that for sure though, even if you could sort of see her from the top. It would be too dark and too far to make a correct judgement...

Quote:
See that's a problem for me as well and relates to my mention of how we never learn her theory. The fact that it ended with her being implied as the key to bringing Sam home and then they never went anywhere further with her. That seemed sloppy and makes the Mirror Image ending that much more of a let down regardless of the fact that it was ended with a grain of salt to leave it open for a sixth season. Honestly though the concept I was told they had in mind wasn't all that appealing IMO and did not really involve Sam. It was Al becoming a leaper in search of Sam who's aura never returned to the waiting room after Mirror Image with Sammy Jo as his observer. As much as I would have liked to see more of Al as a leaper you can't have either him or Sam without the other. You just can't.
But it was just a theory. They would need to test it, and it would probably have gone wrong, just as Sam's had gone wrong.

Having said that though, I think that it was only planned for the FIRST episode of Season 6 to have Al try to find Sam. I think he would have found Sam and they would have done something to have the project stay in contact with him again. In fact, it's quite possible that Sammy Jo's theory might bring Al home so that he can be Sam's hologram again.

Interestingly, we know that the evil leaper project is able to retrieve their leaper within 48 hours (as long as they complete their mission). Maybe this was Sammy Jo's theory, and they had utilised or refined it
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #31
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie
That is an interesting theory, that Laura had told Clayton, but I don't think it can be right, because if that was the case, then Sam originally wouldn't have leapt into Clayton. He'd have leapt into someone else, say Marie, and tried to stop Clayton and Abigail from perishing in the fire while still trying to find out what happened, as Clayton would be able to tell him.

Then again, Al could have just asked Clayton in the Waiting Room...
He may not have needed to be told though, she had the locket remember? Though there is no way he'd have to know she did, she could have hidden it.
There was that line I mentioned however that I can't figure out:
"Clayton said you'd come and then I'd have to tell about Violet."
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #32
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
He may not have needed to be told though, she had the locket remember? Though there is no way he'd have to know she did, she could have hidden it.
There was that line I mentioned however that I can't figure out:
"Clayton said you'd come and then I'd have to tell about Violet."
I think it was referencing Sam's first visit to Laura, when he tried to talk to her but she wouldn't talk to him. I think at that stage Laura still had a decent grasp on reality and so probably thought it was Clayton...
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #33
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
I think it was referencing Sam's first visit to Laura, when he tried to talk to her but she wouldn't talk to him. I think at that stage Laura still had a decent grasp on reality and so probably thought it was Clayton...
I did consider this however she was in that same vegetative state Sam found her in the following two visits. Though in those instances her recognition of him which snapped her out of her trance seemed to come in a sudden burst which did not happen that first time. This does suggest as you did that she'd been of sound enough mind to have seen partial of the aura but was out of it enough to not notice was what missing of it or saw the full aura. This is also supported by how in this final chapter she only recognized him from his second visit to her.
"You were here a very long time ago, you were going to marry my Abigail but you didn't. You went away."
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #34
servo75
Imaging Chamber Technician
 
servo75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherdran View Post
Because it proves that in Part 1 of the triology, that the woman that Sam saw in the fire at the sheriff's house (when he rescues Abgail) really WAS Laura (Abigail's mother), and not a ghost or a mirage.
Whoa.... how is that possible?? How did she get in there, and how would no one else notice? I just assumed her hands were just some skin condition from old age or having those gloves on for so long.

I was wondering though, why did Al exclaim, "Oh God" when Sam lifted her headdress?
__________________
I've never met anyone named Ziggy before. What does he do?
She figures things out.
She?? This Ziggy is a girl?
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM   #35
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
Whoa.... how is that possible?? How did she get in there, and how would no one else notice? I just assumed her hands were just some skin condition from old age or having those gloves on for so long.
Sam had visited her, which probably made her think something was wrong (as there was) and so she escaped the hospital.

Quote:
I was wondering though, why did Al exclaim, "Oh God" when Sam lifted her headdress?
Because her scalp was so badly burnt...
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #36
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
Whoa.... how is that possible?? How did she get in there, and how would no one else notice? I just assumed her hands were just some skin condition from old age or having those gloves on for so long.

I was wondering though, why did Al exclaim, "Oh God" when Sam lifted her headdress?
See my review in the Trilogy part I thread which is where I discuss Laura's ghost like appearances to Sam in relation to her burns in this part.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42