Happy Queen's Birthday Long Weekend

ris768

Project QL Intern
Sep 6, 2006
Sydney, Australia
To my fellow Aussies,

Enjoy the long weekend but don't forget it is double demerit points the whole weekend.

Cheers to the Queen, even though it's not really your birthday, we are happy tol take a day off work for you!

The way I understand it's points that count towards losing your drivers liicence. You get a certain amount of them depending on what you do. On hollidays it appears that amount is double :)

am I right?

Yes you are right. Every time you break the driving laws in Australia, they fine you and add points to your licence, but after a period of time the points are deducted, I think after 3 years. Once you get to 12 points it is a loss of licence. On a double demerit weekend all points are doubled so it is possible to lose your licence in one go, but if you are stupid enough to break the law I say, justice!

More info can be found here http://www.policensw.com/info/traffic/demeritscheme.html which provides the following reasoning behind the double demerit point weekends:

"In NSW, double demerit points have been successfully introduced for speeding, seatbelt and motorcycle helmet offences during holiday periods such as long weekends, Christmas, New Year and Easter. This is due to the comparatively high number of serious accidents that occur during these times. Records show that when double demerit points are in force, road fatalities are reduced. Since double demerit points were introduced in 1997, there has been a 20% reduction in fatal crashes over the relevant holiday periods."

Thanks for the explanation, Ris. In America, I think that certain during holidays, at least in this county, there are harsher penalities for specific crimes, so I understand the reasoning.

In Germany we don't have such a regulation. But I think on weekends there are more accidents because people are driving too fast or something. Most newspaper articels about accidents you can find after the weekend, so I think it's a good idea to give double demerit on weekends. And I wouldn't have to grumble with my husband so much. :lol He is often too fast.