'Bold Leap' Specifics

L

Luckleaper

After watching QL today for the first time in a while, i really can't wait for the movie to come about. There are a few things that I wonder about though. In terms of funding, will it be the same as we saw on NBC or less? I would imagine it takes quite a bit to recreate the past. And in terms of story-line, do you think that the show, if picked up as a new series, will follow the same format, put right what once went wrong. Or do you think it will change up? There were discussions of future leaps, and things like that.

Also, if the storyline does indeed follow Sammy-Jo looking for her father, certain rules will have to change. Such as leaping in her lifetime. If that is the case, she won't be able to go back as far in time, but in order to find Sam she would have to be able to go back to the 50's if necessary. How do you guys think that these things will be handled? With DPB in charge, i'm confident we'll get quality Quantum Leap, but I was just curious as to what you guys thought.

Luckleaper

As far as leaping back into the 50's, if this were Sammi Jo leaping, then it wouldn't be possible in canon QL rules. But, since Sam is "lost" in time, maybe this factor could be what keeps him from bumping into her every episode lol. Just a thought. Interesting questions here... I know I can't wait to find out all the answers!

Re: re

Unless... In "The Leap Back", Sam and Al switched a few mesons, etc. which allowed Sam to Leap beyond 1953. If they really want to open up more decades for BLF, they could make it so that Sam kept those bits of Al and passed on some of them to Sammy Jo, therefore making her able to Leap back as far as 1934 as well.

Or... they might do the whole Leaping into the future thing (A Bold Leap *Forward*?), although I think that'll actually *limit* them unless they do it where they have a Ziggy from the WAY future going back and giving the Ziggy of the "present" info... I dunno. Just a thought. See? It'd just get too complicated.

I hope, therefore, that they stick with the past.

Joy

What no one has realised or mentioned is the small age difference between Sam and his daughter, Sammy Jo.

According to Trilogy parts 2/3, she was born around March of 1967, making her 13? years younger than her father and as she has her father's genes, it is possible that she could leap as far back as any of Sammy Jo's or Sam's ancestors, as Sam did in 'Leap Between the States'.

As 'A Bold Leap Forward' is 20 years hence, Sammy Jo would either be 53 in 2019/20, a bit old don't you think? So in my mind I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe that Sammy Jo isn't the new Leaper after all and that the new Leaper could in fact be Sam's other "daughter" from 'The Leap Back', born around March 2000 making her 20. More plausible in my opinion, as we all know that Mr Bellisario always comes up with a few unexpected surprises.

Some random thoughts-
I think the big question will be what year the "present" will be. I figured out alwhile ago that actress Melora Hardin is right now about the age Sammie Jo should be in 2004 so she could play the character. But my guess is that SCI-FI is pushing for a younger actress, given the general trends of tv. There might also be a fear that Sammie Jo has too much of a complicated backstory for new viewers. So they may go with it being a daughter of Sam and Donna. I don't think a younger character would really be that limiting, even if she can only leap in her own lifetime. The fact is we only really saw Sam leaps go as far as 1985, with the execption of the Leap Back, so the last 20 years are open territory that Quantum Leap has never really covered before. As others have said given what was shown in The Leap Between the States she could once in awhile even leap into her relatives lifetimes. A really cool idea for an episode would be for her to leap into Sam himself. Maybe while he was in college or when he was with the Starbright project. I guess my point is that they could go alot of different directions with this new character.

Oh, and you know... I just thought about something. If BLF is indeed supposed to take place 20 years following the events of "Mirror Image", that would place the Project's present time at about 2020-something.

So... technically, their present would be the future of our real present. So, if the new Leaper leaps back just a couple years from her current present, that's still gonna land her in a future year from ours... which would in turn satisfy Sci-Fi Channel by giving them a more futuristic, sci-fi feel... without making the "purist" fans feel too threatened.

Therefore, maybe it might just be the daughter of Sam and Donna. That's the only other choice.

The only thing I'm worried about is how to explain why 80-something year old Al Calavicci looks just under 70 years old. Maybe in the future they were able to slow the aging process?

Joy

Yeah the 20 years in the future thing raises huge questions. I never thought abot what that would mean in terms of Al's age. Maybe they will just leave the present time of the Project kind of vague. Like they did during the early seasons of the show. But I could also see them showing more scenes from Al's point of view at the Project. Like they did in the 5th season, showing Al talking to the visitors in the Waiting Room. This would also help to give things a more sci-fi feel.