Travel Buddies!

EmmaCMF

Project QL Intern
Are you going to be coming to the con on your own? Why not post here and ask for a travel buddy from your region? Whether you chose to fly, drive, take the bus or the train, the time always goes faster if you have a travel companion, and you get to make a new friend! Make plans to travel together now, and you have two years to get to know each other.:D

Sounds like a great plan! I'm around Oklahoma City and would LOVE a buddy to travel with (my brother says he'll come with me, but we'll see when he has to actually BUY a ticket...) Trust me, I'll be alone ;)

I already have my buddy, I am bringing my best friend. We are so excited, we just hope we can get there this time unlike our rotten luck with Shenandoah last may, but that was all the way across the county from us, this is even in the same state let alone the same coast, so we should make it just fine. :)

i'm looking to go to the convention from the south of england, anyone else who is going from the area get in touch

I'll be flying in from Kansas City. I remember seeing a few other midwesterners on board. I'd be interested in finding a travel buddy, if for nothing else to split cab fare from the airport (unless there's a shuttle in the works)

i'm hopefully going just need to save up for flight etc.. the cheapest flight i've found from london, uk is £384 return with air france, but it wont let people book for march 2009 yet :( will be going on my own too

mand said:
i'm hopefully going just need to save up for flight etc.. the cheapest flight i've found from london, uk is £384 return with air france, but it wont let people book for march 2009 yet :( will be going on my own too

hiya,

i'm going to be going. have you got your ticket yet?? i think there might be a few of us going from the UK.

Ben

Mand, to be honest, you'd be best arriving the night before the convention starts. I really don't recommend arriving on the day. By the time you clear customs (I've never got through LAX customs in anything less than an hour - last time I went, it took two hours) and baggage claim and then navigate LA traffic, you probably won't get to the convention hotel until about 3:30pm at the very earliest, and by that point, you'll have been awake for about 24 hours.

It's much better to arrive the day before, and have a relatively leisurely afternoon chilling out in your room and getting to know the local area, and then you'll feel much better the next day.

If you really want to book flights now, then avoid charter flights at all cost and go with one of the major airlines, like Virgin, BA or American Airlines. I thoroughly recommend flying Virgin - I always try to fly to the States with them.

The other option is keeping an eye on newspapers like the Daily Mail, because they sporadically run token offers for discounted flights.

EXTRA DAYS IN LA from the UK

i've got my ticket for the convention but wanting to go a day or two before so i can go to universal studios and see the sights of LA. anyone thinking of doing the same?? maybe meet up and share hotel room to cut the cost of the extra days there?

Ben

air france have been going for a long time i cant really afford to pay £600+ for major airlines thats why i'm going with air france as i can get a flight for under £500, i'm currently unempolyed so have to take whatever i can afford, will take the advice about getting the flight the day before, :)

Mand, a flight flying out to LA on the Thursday and back on the Monday (two weeks before the con, as you can't book flights for the con weekend yet) is coming in at £416, so it pays to shop around.

If you need some help finding cheap flights closer to the time, let me know - I'm the Queen of Online Holiday booking, LOL!

Oh, and ladies and gentleman, if you're going to book using expedia, remember to go through our link, so we can earn commission to give to the charity!

ok emma :)
i emailed the hotel asking if its possible to add a extra night to my res so i check in on 26th instead of 27th but they havent got back to me, do you think i should ring the hotel itself to double check they have put it down?

rang them last night and somehow when they booked my room they gave me the wrong res number and been told it has to start with a 6 and mine started with a 2 and the lady hadnt added the extra date so they changed the date there and then, so am now booked in from 26th to 30th march :)

Where will you be flying from? be good to see some of the sights as probably wont be in LA for a while after the con

Josh said:
Ben,

I'm looking at flying out a day or two earlier as well. There's a few places in town I'd like to go see.