406 Raped

Raped

• Total voters
Katie in the imaging chamber

Maybe I'm being too technical, but somehow they got Sam to see and hear Katie. But how was it Katie was able to hear AND see the prosecutor? I was under the impression that only Al was able to see and hear Sam, even if he was touching someone, Sam could see them but not vice/versa.

And while this may have freaked people out, I would think that if Sam could see and hear Katie, couldn't everyone else in 1980? Katie wasn't specifically tuned into Sam's brainwaves.

Maybe I'm being too technical, but somehow they got Sam to see and hear Katie. But how was it Katie was able to hear AND see the prosecutor? I was under the impression that only Al was able to see and hear Sam, even if he was touching someone, Sam could see them but not vice/versa.

Actually that's not true, in "Shock Theater" Dr Beeks was brought into the Imaging Chamber and she could see and hear Sam as well.

And while this may have freaked people out, I would think that if Sam could see and hear Katie, couldn't everyone else in 1980? Katie wasn't specifically tuned into Sam's brainwaves.

The stuff that is projected from the Imaging Chamber is tuned into Sam's brainwaves, so no, Katie wouldn't be able to be seen by the courtroom (unless it was a child under five or someone mentally ill).

Actually that's not true, in "Shock Theater" Dr Beeks was brought into the Imaging Chamber and she could see and hear Sam as well.

I'd have to re-watch that segment but from what I remember, Beeks didn't directly react to anything Sam said, so I wasn't sure that she could actually see him. And also there's "Star Crossed," where according to Al, the committee members could not see or hear Sam.

EDIT: Oh wait I just remembered, at the end of the Shock Theater scene, Sam said "Goodbye doc" and Beeks could be seen mouthing goodbye to Sam. Still IMHO I think it's inconsistent with Star Crossed.

The stuff that is projected from the Imaging Chamber is tuned into Sam's brainwaves, so no, Katie wouldn't be able to be seen by the courtroom (unless it was a child under five or someone mentally ill).

Sometimes I wonder if all those people who "hear and see voices" are just seeing and hearing leapers like Tibby :D :lol

Last edited:
I'd have to re-watch that segment but from what I remember, Beeks didn't directly react to anything Sam said, so I wasn't sure that she could actually see him. And also there's "Star Crossed," where according to Al, the committee members could not see or hear Sam.

EDIT: Oh wait I just remembered, at the end of the Shock Theater scene, Sam said "Goodbye doc" and Beeks could be seen mouthing goodbye to Sam. Still IMHO I think it's inconsistent with Star Crossed.

This is actually consistent with the fact that the project grows and evolves over time, just like the Imaging Chamber door changes when they get necessary upgrades, like in Raped that they make it possible for Katie to be heard, etc.

If you recall the Beeks appearance in 'Shock Theater' that illustrates that anyone in the imaging chamber is able to receive the feed as long as they are in physical contact with Al.
It's Sam that's got the short end of the stick. He gets the visual of someone in physical contact with Al but not the audio, recall that he couldn't hear Beeks. That needed to be added for the purpose of bringing Katie in hence why she used up a lot of extra power.

servo75 said:

Technically yes she was because she was transmitted through Al who is connected specifically to Sam's neurons and mesons.

An exceptionally powerful episode that continues the strong start to season 4.

This episode has become rather difficult for me to watch in recent years. You see, a close friend of mine went through a similar ordeal (it wasn't a rape that took place, it was a sexual assault). And the treatment that Sam/Katie receives during this episode does hit close to home, as my friend was treated in a similar way. She had been on a date with a guy and when she disclosed what had happened to her, very few people sided with her at all. They practically all believed him. But I didn't. I knew she would never lie about something like this... Unfortunately, this story doesn't have a happy ending. The police did practically nothing to help her... Anyway, getting back to the episode.

The strongest moment in this episode has to be when Al takes Katie into the imaging chamber. That whole moment is just heartbreaking and so well shot. The gradual way in which Sam's voice is faded out and we can just hear Katie speaking. Really haunting stuff.

The ending of this episode is the only thing that doesn't work for me. It's just sloppy. Kevin wouldn't be so stupid as to attempt to rape Katie again (in her own back yard, no less!). It just didn't ring true. Sure, it was funny and gratifying to see Sam kick his *** and Al try and flick ash on him.. But unfortunately, if I can't buy what's happening on screen it just doesn't work.

My rating. Good. Would have been excellent but the ending kinda ruined it for me. We should have just seen Kevin be convicted in the court instead of him getting away with it.