Searching for Episode

Elle Knight

Project QL Intern
Aug 8, 2005
U.S.A.
www.freewebs.com
In the second season opener there is a clip of Sam carrying an African American boy into a hospital (?) and placing him on a stretcher (?). Can anyone tell me what episode this is from. In the clip Sam is wearing a blue T-shirt and has shorter hair. If someone could tell me what episode this is, that would be excellent! Thank you!

Black on White on Fire, set during the Watts Riots. Sam's a young black medical student (with a white girlfriend) caught between his Black Panther-ish brother on one side and his girlfriend on the other. The scene you're referring to takes place in the neighborhood medical clinic.

McDuck said:
Black on White on Fire, set during the Watts Riots. Sam's a young black medical student (with a white girlfriend) caught between his Black Panther-ish brother on one side and his girlfriend on the other. The scene you're referring to takes place in the neighborhood medical clinic.

Thanks so much! That helps a lot!

I love that episode as well, and, in my opinion, it stands out as one of the top episodes in the series. It is a real shame that it came out like complete crap on DVD, again, in my opinion. The music replacements are horrible (and they go on for a long time because the original songs played a long time), and the picture quality is way too dark. So dark that I have trouble seeing the actors' faces as I've said in another thread. There's one original song left, but by the time it plays, it feels like a case of "too little, too late." In Universal's defense, I do think that a lot of the Season 3 episodes actually look very clean and clear, so maybe they darkened "Black On White On Fire" because they wanted to hide the "snow" on all the archival footage.

QL Nut said:
I love that episode as well, and, in my opinion, it stands out as one of the top episodes in the series. It is a real shame that it came out like complete crap on DVD, again, in my opinion. The music replacements are horrible (and they go on for a long time because the original songs played a long time), and the picture quality is way too dark. So dark that I have trouble seeing the actors' faces as I've said in another thread. There's one original song left, but by the time it plays, it feels like a case of "too little, too late." In Universal's defense, I do think that a lot of the Season 3 episodes actually look very clean and clear, so maybe they darkened "Black On White On Fire" because they wanted to hide the "snow" on all the archival footage.

I've actually been thinking about buying a season of Quantum Leap on DVD, but I keep hearing that they've replaced the music and that it impacts the episodes significantly. What season is the best to buy on DVD? I thought I might buy the third, but I'd like your opinion as well. Thanks!

The first season was a superlative, superior product. It has a documentary with Don Bellisario, Scott Bakula, and Dean Stockwell, as well as two Easter Eggs with Dean and Scott and the standard optional feature of Scott briefly introducing each episode.

Unfortunately, this standard was not continued in subsequent season issues. Further insult to injury was smacked upon the consumer with the music replacement in seasons 2 and 3.

In all honesty, I do have to say that the music replacement only SIGNIFICANTLY impacts a handful of episodes to the point of rendering them nearly unwatchable to me. There were some where I never even noticed it. However, the handful that it does affect....some critical episodes are among those--most notably M.I.A. and Good Morning, Peoria. What's worse is instead of switching the music for a comparable period piece or having a cover of the song by a studio singer, they swapped it out for cheesy Muzak.

Elle Knight said:
I've actually been thinking about buying a season of Quantum Leap on DVD, but I keep hearing that they've replaced the music and that it impacts the episodes significantly. What season is the best to buy on DVD? I thought I might buy the third, but I'd like your opinion as well. Thanks!

First season all the way. And of course the only problem there is that it's such a short season, but...it's worth it just to get unbutchered episodes.

QL Nut said:
First season all the way. And of course the only problem there is that it's such a short season, but...it's worth it just to get unbutchered episodes.
The one exception being that the second season opening credit sequence was used in "Play It Again, Seymour," instead of the first season version. But even I can admit that was a minor mistake and really does not affect the actual episode.

With that very minor exception, Season 1 is the only DVD set that Universal did not tamper with.

Dman176 said:
The one exception being that the second season opening credit sequence was used in "Play It Again, Seymour," instead of the first season version. But even I can admit that was a minor mistake and really does not affect the actual episode.

With that very minor exception, Season 1 is the only DVD set that Universal did not tamper with.

Ah, how could I forget. I find it a very odd mistake to make, though, because aren't the original opening credit sequences automatically part of the original episodes on the master film? I didn't think Universal tampered with those, just like they didn't "correct" the original repeat leap-ins so that they make sense. It seems like a mistake that Universal would have had to go out of their way to make...