Shore Leave - Baltimore, July 2007

CarolD

Jul 15, 2006
New York
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be attending the annual Shore Leave convention in Baltimore, MD in July 2007.

If any of you are attending that con (and I hope some of you will be), I'd love to get together with you, to say hi, talk about the con, maybe get some in-person ideas and suggestions for what kinds of programming you'd like to see.

Also, let us know what other upcoming cons you'll be attending - we can use your help in getting the word around about The Leap Back!

See ya in Baltimore...

Carol

Shore Leave

CarolD said:
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be attending the annual Shore Leave convention in Baltimore, MD in July 2007.

Carol, I'm tempted. I could drive to that con, so it would be relatively inexpensive. Since I've never been to a con, it could be a good introduction to the experience. Besides, they've got Nichelle Nichols. And I'd love to meet you.

Karen

Karen, Shore Leave is an excellent con. It's somewhat large, so there are crowd issues here and there, but it's great fun. They always have a big roster of guests from various shows/movies, and a huge dealers' room. Fan panels galore, autographs, contests.

It's been 15 years since I've seen Nichelle so it'll be fun to see her again. She always gives an entertaining Q&A.

Keep me posted on whether you can attend! It'd be great to have a mini pre-Leap Back get-together.

I used to go to Shoreleave every year, but haven't for the past 2. I think the show's lost its focus with going outside the Trek side. Although, each time I've gone and had a great time. I do hope that you take some of the ideas done at Shoreleave and include them in the creation of Leap 2007, which I intend to be there.
The most important thing is to be sure fans feel welcome, basically a huge logo at the door that most Trekkers abide by are, "Leave Your EGOS at the Door. EVERYONE'S WELCOME." The video room is a great idea, showing past and current works of both Dean and Scott. Also, fan panels, get the guests and fans involved. A dance and dinner party...the list can be endless. Round the clock programming is good for those night owls who don't go to bed....A convention I helped coordinate years ago, we used to show "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." Totally out of context, but a hit at midnight in one of the smaller ballrooms. Just to give you some ideas.

Have a little faith, LeaperInTime -- two of the committee members (Emma and myself) have extensive experience at attending, planning, and conducting fan cons. I've been attending cons for 20 years now, and have seen them from every possible side: audience, committee member, subcommittee member, fan panelist, and guest star. And the other three (Brian, Judy, and Maryse) have jumped in with both feet, investing every ounce of their creativity and imagination. The gorgeous website we have for the con shows you how inventive Brian (webmaster) and Maryse (artist) are!

We began the plans for the con last summer, and each of us has assembled a massive pile of material regarding programming, guests, reg packet freebies, program book -- ideas stolen from cons we've attended, as well as ideas that popped into our heads along the way. We've invested a wild-and-crazy number of hours on the planning already, with lots more to come. So we'd ask that you please trust us, because you sound extremely skeptical about the quality of the con. We appreciate your suggestions, but what we're looking for at this point is something more specific. Yes, we plan to have fan panels -- but we need specific topics you'd like to see covered, as well as volunteers to actually be on the panels.

As far as Rocky Horror goes, the vast majority of the people who responded to our survey asked that the con be 100% Quantum Leap-specific, so at this point I don't think we'll be screening anything that isn't QL-related.

What I'd suggest for fans out there who have an idea for programming, is that you post it on the forum and ask everybody, "What do you guys think? Would you like to see this?" If enough people chime in on something, we'll certainly consider it.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I was taught long ago that "there are no bad ideas," and I'm a firm believer in that - some ideas don't fit the project, but there's no harm in shouting something out. You never know, it might just be the idea we're looking for. :)