TV and Film on Internet/ TV and Film Archive On-line/ Google

B

BlueSovereign

What I'm about to talk about has been discussed with the BBC about making their TV archive available on-line so that broadband users can download programs and films which they can watch whenever they choose. Well sort of, because after two weeks the downloaded media files will become unusable and will (probably) self-destruct (deletion) so that if you want to see them again at a later date you will have to pay again. I'm not so sure that the Internet can take this sort of service at the moment, this is the reasons for the development of Internet 2, to replace the current Internet with one that can handle this in a stable manner.

It sounds better than standard TV whereby you have to fit your life/schedule around the transmission times of the programs. I think having a library of TV shows and Movies On-line would be a good idea for obvious reasons, but it looses that audience feel that I have when watching scheduled programming. Like when you are watching a movie or a chat show, you know that many other people are watching it with you and seeing the events of it at the same time. Next day at work you can talk about with everyone else who saw it because it would be fresh in everyones' minds. But saying that, I get the feeling that when I'm watching a DVD, other people are watching the same one elsewhere but not quite in sync.

At least with an On-line library of Quantum Leap available you can watch the unmodified version of MIA whenever you choose, but having to pay to see it each time the file expires. I've seen the modified version by the way, yes the original version has more impact for me, but the modified one is not as bad as I thought it would be (S2 trailer) and I'll still get S2 on DVD because I like most episodes to a high degree anyway. Although I would be upset if they mess about with "The Leap Home" because that is a moving episode for me and one that deserves to be preserved along with "MIA."

Google are doing the same thing with libraries, putting a selection of books on-line for download and viewing. This apparently was there intention all along and one of the reasons for getting Google up-and-running. As for charges, I don't know yet, but I think it may be free.