Scott's Performance Blew Me Away

StrayStar

Project QL Intern
Dec 17, 2010
Romania
quantum-stills.blogspot.com
I would like to share something with you about my experience with QL.

Saying that Scott Bakula did a great job as Sam in Quantum Leap is probably no more than stating the obvious, but I feel the need to say it out loud. I came to Quantum Leap after two years' worth of plowing through the Star Trek franchise, which, in terms of TV series, ended with Enterprise. As everyone probably knows, Enterprise is considered a disappointment among fans and I have to say it is my own least favorite of the 5 (or 6?) Trek series.

One of the things that left me frustrated in ENT was the character of Captain Archer. He was better written in the 3rd and 4th seasons, but in the beginning I found him to be a little too naive and rough around the edges to be captain of Starfleet's most prized ship. I know that some of the responsibility for why this character didn't work very well is often thrown on Scott Bakula for the way he portrayed Archer. Some people say he was miscast and that he didn't manage to fill the role convincingly enough. I tend to agree with that assessment to a slight degree. Overall, I thought he did pretty well. But sometimes he seemed to be trying too hard to be tough and it shows, and that's not good.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that QL was a bit of a shock to me. I was like, wow, this guy is fantastic! I mean, I knew he was popular and everything, but I didn't know he was this good. Enterprise surely never let it show. Watching him as Sam was like discovering a whole new actor. I was literally blown away by his versatility and his ability to act naturally in spite of the fact that he had to play a different role every week. Plus, he seemed capable of pretty much anything! Even of playing a woman and being very good (and funny) at it! That must have been a lot of work and I've developed a great deal of respect for him as an actor. Needless to say, I've also developed a bit of a crush.:eek: Now that I'm re-watching Enterprise, mostly just for Scott, I can no longer be objective about Captain Archer's shortcomings. :\