An observation

leaper1

PQL Security Staff
Staff member
Sep 1, 2002
Bedford, England
I don't really have too much time on my hands - just the opposite - but for some reason I tend to take notice of how many people are online at Al's whenever I log in.

Today has been an interesting day.

This morning at work, when most of my American friends were tucked in their beds, I was the only member logged in. However, I was accompanied by no less than 60 'guests' most of which were Yahoo Slurp spiders, but even so! Busy morning, I thought to myself.

Well the trend has continued through much of the day. I have dipped in and out in odd moments - breaks at work and since I've been home etc.
While the members online have remained at 2 or 3, or maybe 5 or 6, the 'guests' have been averaging 35-40!

Most days the 'guest' list tops out at around a dozen.

Not sure what has sparked the peak today, but it is good to see.

I know, I know, cries of "Get a Life!"

I have one thanks, it's called QUANTUM LEAP FANDOM

What is a Yahoo Slurp spider?

I drop by here all the time, whenever I need a distraction from work. Or in the evening, as I'm doing right now. If I need a life... that's just too bad, I guess! :D

I don't know about anyone else, but for me thre are days I can't wait to get here. I just love reading posts and chatting with you all. But the question the comes to mind is .... who are the "guest"? and what is a Yahoo Slurp spider???? never heard of it before.

Yeah, what is a Yahoo Slurp spider? :hmm
I don't know about anyone else here, and not that it matters, but sometimes I lurk around before signing in, which might explain some of the "guests." It's good to know that there are a lot of people coming to this site, though.

I also really enjoy getting on the site, reading through posts and stuff is fun! It's good to have busy days aswell (The most people i've ever seen online was like 8 Members and about 30 Guests) Good Times then!!

BTW: Haven't a clue about a Yahoo! Slurp Spider though.....but spiders are scary.

As far as I understand it, slurp spiders trawl the net finding links to assist search engines in finding as many hits as possible when you put in a query.

Some sites don't like them because they can slow the server down if too many are running round at once.

However, if you want new people to discover your site, they can be very helpful in getting you noticed!