Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #26
LunarCrystal
Control Room Technician

So, at what point did you assume that I was expecting to have a relationship with him? I know about the fan thing. I know about getting a little too excited about going to meet a celebrity, or going to an event, seeing the movie, writing the fanfiction.

You're right about this: I probably do feel worse than he does. He doesn't know my name. Probably doesn't remember me, or what happened. It doesn't affect him, he doesn't dwell on it. I'm a nobody. He, as the object of my appreciation, has more meaning to me than I to him. I understand this very well. It doesn't erase my guilty conscience. It doesn't stave away the urge to apologize profusely, regardless of whether he remembers what I'm apologizing for.

I did go to that art exhibition because I liked his artwork. I like the art, and I like what he's about. I made a point to research his pieces and read up on some of his interests before going, and everything I learned made me appreciate it all a lot more. He has three pieces that I've picked out to buy, now that I'm okay for it. I do intend on purchasing because of a genuine appreciation of the work.

I'm not expecting anything. Not to be his friend. Not correspondence. I just don't like thinking that I hurt somebody, especially my hero, even if it was a fleeting moment. I want to be honest, and grounded, about making up for my mistake. It's just that simple.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #27
asearcher
Observer's Aid

Default Clarification

The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more. That was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it because you like it (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice that you love. But buy it because the piece is something that touches you, not to make up for something else.

Personnally, the only piece that I would like to acquire of his is "Taos Mountain" which I like very much. While I appreciate his other works, they are not pieces I would choose to acquire myself. I am happy they appeal to others, however. I hope he remains sucessful in this endeavor of creativity.

If it were me and I thought I'd hurt someone (it wouldn't really matter who), I would provide my apology and then let it go. If the person wants to tell me it's accepted...fine. But that is totally up to them and at the point of the apology, I've done everything in my power to take responsiblity for my own actions and to try to rectify a situation I believe I have caused.

I did not intend to offend you with my posting about fan behavior. If I inadvertently done so, I do apologize for doing so.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #28
asearcher
Observer's Aid

Default Clarification

The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more (e.g. not that you wished to start anything further including a friendship.) The acknowlegement was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know how your apology is taken.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it (them) because you like it (them) (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice(s) that you love. But buy it (them) because the piece(s) are something that touch you, not to make up for something else.

Personnally, the only piece that I would like to acquire of his is "Taos Mountain" which I like very much. While I appreciate his other works, they are not pieces I would choose to acquire myself. I am happy they appeal to others, however. I hope he remains sucessful in this endeavor of creativity.

If it were me and I thought I'd hurt someone (it wouldn't really matter who), I would provide my apology and then let it go. If the person wants to tell me it's accepted...fine. But that is totally up to them and at the point of the apology, I've done everything in my power to take responsiblity for my own actions and to try to rectify a situation I believe I have caused.

I did not intend to offend you with my posting about fan behavior. If I inadvertently done so, I do apologize for doing so.

ADDITONAL THOUGHT AFTER POSTING
OH...and I would never say that you are a nobody. You are somebody. Your experiences on this earth are just as valid and worthy as anything that anyone else may have. Only in the somewhat whacked world of celebrityhood are we "nobodies." But that is not a world that I use as a measure of who I am or who anyone else is. The only good thing about it is that persons who do hold a "celebrity" status, by the very fact that people get to hear what celebrities say and do, we sometimes learn about a neat person who we wouldn't have known about if they hadn't become a celebrity. It's a rather warped paradox, but it exists none the less.

I've met some really cool people in fandom situations. It is an activity that is interesting and (overall) fun to participate in.

Last edited by asearcher; 08-07-2006 at 06:33 PM.
asearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #29
LunarCrystal
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearcher
The assumption I made was that you would want to have an acknowledgement that he either accepted or did not accept your apology. Nothing more (e.g. not that you wished to start anything further including a friendship.) The acknowlegement was the only reciprocal response I was referring to. Irregardless of what you do, that may or may not happen. You may never know how your apology is taken.

I see the purchase of the artwork separate from the apology though. If you wish to purchase it (them) because you like it (them) (and it sounds like you do), then if you have the money to do so, buy the peice(s) that you love. But buy it (them) because the piece(s) are something that touch you, not to make up for something else.

ADDITONAL THOUGHT AFTER POSTING
OH...and I would never say that you are a nobody. You are somebody. Your experiences on this earth are just as valid and worthy as anything that anyone else may have. Only in the somewhat whacked world of celebrityhood are we "nobodies." But that is not a world that I use as a measure of who I am or who anyone else is. The only good thing about it is that persons who do hold a "celebrity" status, by the very fact that people get to hear what celebrities say and do, we sometimes learn about a neat person who we wouldn't have known about if they hadn't become a celebrity. It's a rather warped paradox, but it exists none the less.

I've met some really cool people in fandom situations. It is an activity that is interesting and (overall) fun to participate in.
I feel it is appropriate to say thank you. Your words are honest and sincere. I'll admit I can bristle up a little too easily about the fandom thing. Or just anything in general. I can be a little too defensive. Your apology is accepted, and I apologize in turn.

And thank you for acknowledging and reminding me that I'm, in fact, not a nobody. It helps. ^.^