Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #26
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I've heard references to Sam Beckett Fan and something going awry in the past, but I joined the forum on the exact day that was her last date to visit the forum, so I know nothing that went on. If it wouldn't be in poor taste for me to ask, could somebody tell me what the heck is being referred to? The part Night Terror said about subtlity piqued my interest.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #27
angvav
Temporary Account

Happy birthday sams crow
Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #28
Night Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy View Post
I've heard references to Sam Beckett Fan and something going awry in the past, but I joined the forum on the exact day that was her last date to visit the forum, so I know nothing that went on. If it wouldn't be in poor taste for me to ask, could somebody tell me what the heck is being referred to? The part Night Terror said about subtlity piqued my interest.

Thank you.
I didn't know anything about it either, but I use the "search" option a lot, and once I came across a very old post that, for the looks of it, didn't end happily. Basically, a kid started flaming and insulting, etc., so he had to be banned, but even after he had left, the people who were on this forum back then kept calling him things (in other threads), etc., so I re-read the whole original thread and it became evident that nobody liked him (I think Sam Beckett Fan was there, too, and nobody seemed to like her, either), not even before he began with his insults, etc. Every opinion he had was wrong, according to their own opinions, and they kept throwing light insults at him. Like isz mentioned, they kept being criticized for everything they wrote (not always in a very constructive way; they resorted to censorship a lot), even if it was the most trivial thing, and the people who criticized them never actually stopped to think that they were also giving their own input, and that their POV's were not the rule, but a couple of members went a bit too far, to the point of insulting his intelligence, and well, the kid exploded and everyone began to judge him blindly (which is the easiest thing to do; easier than stopping for a moment to think about the person on the other side, why he's like that, or what he's been through).

Like I said, those insults were very light and subtle ("nice," to parody the concept). No name calling or anything, but some people are very sensitive and sometimes "light" is enough, especially in a mind like the kid's mind. I'm not defending what he did (insulting, flaming, etc.), not at all, but I can understand him a little bit. The other people were basically pushing him over the edge. He was a disturbed kid, to begin with, and that was evident, too, but nobody ever tried to reason with him, everything was always light insults and censorship (and mainly because he saw things differently). Someone tried to reason with him (justifying his position), but it was too late, the kid had already exploded. Yes, the kid was wrong and he had many issues in his head already, but everyone else were contributing to it, too. I'm not pointing fingers or trying to educate anyone, but they never gave him a chance and, after re-reading the whole thread, it also became evident that he wasn't the only disturbed person there. The difference was that he wasn't so subtle, and that's why he was banned and judged.

As for Ms. Sam Beckett Fan, well, she gave an opinion on anything she didn't like about the show, and everyone was always telling her to keep it to herself, or to keep it "down," when she never even used bad words or anything. I think there was a character (Abigail, from the Trilogy episodes) she didn't like, and she was always giving her opinions on it, and because they were different opinions, some people were always trying to censor her, even when she was always following the rules. So yeah, she left, and it doesn't surprise me, either. Don't get me wrong, I love this board and everything on this website, but I saw that those bad things had happened, and well, I had to give my opinion on them. I can't keep quiet about things like that. The problem with the kid was that he didn't know how to defend himself properly, and people never gave him a break, so the obvious thing happened: all hell broke loose. Seems to me like we, as a society, are still having trouble with people who see things differently. I've noticed that even "isz" has had some issues with this in the past. Unjustified censorship is a problem in itself, and it was a bit sad for me to see that it's also taken place in this site before.

But anyway, that was like 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm sure they've all grown out of it, except that they're not coming back. As for the thread I mentioned, I think it's closed and you can't find it anymore. I guess it would corrupt us if we were able to read it.

Like I said, it's a nice messageboard, but it's also had its share of "down" moments. A lot of people want to keep quiet about that, but I don't.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #29
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Oh, Lordy. Thanks for filling me in, Mr. Night Terror. Since I'm studying to be a history teacher, I think the low points are important as well as the high points, so we know not to repeat the mistakes of the past, or for others to step in and defend anyone who is ever unjustly criticized again.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #30
Night Terror

Quote:
Oh, Lordy. Thanks for filling me in, Mr. Night Terror. Since I'm studying to be a history teacher, I think the low points are important as well as the high points, so we know not to repeat the mistakes of the past, or for others to step in and defend anyone who is ever unjustly criticized again.
Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to lecture anyone. I was just telling what I saw. I'm not here to defend anyone. People have always been "unjustly criticized," as you put it, and they'll always be. It's not up to me to change the world, man. I've learned that nobody can change anyone's point of view. My only point here was that there are always two sides to a coin, and that it's so easy for us to label someone or something, but we never really understand why, that's all. I mean no offense, I'm not trying to be the hero here, I'm only speaking up my mind.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #31
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Oh, I agree, Night Terror. I doubt that any of us, first and foremost applied to myself, will be changing the world. What I meant by that was not to repeat the mistakes of the past here, on the forum.

I know that you weren't lecturing. It just came across as an explaination (that I asked for), with your opinion injected at the end. I just think that it was a trifle unfair, and that it could be prevented in the future. But I wasn't implying anything that I (or anyone else) should go out and crusade for human rights. I'll leave that up to someone with more energy.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
Night Terror

Quote:
But I wasn't implying anything that I (or anyone else) should go out and crusade for human rights. I'll leave that up to someone with more energy.
Oh, no, I wasn't saying that you were implying anything, I was only speaking generally. But... let's call it a post.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #33
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Terror View Post
But... let's call it a post.
I'll drink to that.