FEDCON "fiasco"

hjkapl

Project QL Intern
Feb 20, 2008
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I just heard about the Fedcon 'fiasco'. Since the guests at the Leap Back 2009 Quantum Leap Con are coming on their own dime out of love for the show (and since ticket sales already cover the cost of the venue), how fortunate we are not to be in the same kind of position!
[/FONT]

Very fortunate! I'm so glad we decided to keep this a more manageable convention size and that Quantum Leap is so fondly thought of by so many of it's stars to volunteer their time and energy.

I believe the people running our con never would have gotten themselves into such a mess. But I'm very glad they're simplifying matters by not paying for the guests, too.

As someone personally associated and unassociated with this fiasco, many lessons were learned but none more than NOT LETTING ANYONE USE YOUR NAME.

What idiots (Us!)

Of course their's more to it than what you read but that's water under the bridge now.

Yep, water under the bridge. Too bad they had to learn lessons the hard way. And, while I have no issues learning from other people's mistakes, so glad to know we're not in the same boat!

Not really. The organizer worried me and my spidey-sense went up. That's why I bailed out last January. Legally, we would have had a problem getting our name back but like I said, it's history now. Thank God the actors and fans still love the "real" Fedcon (Germany). Hasn't affected us.

I meant sad for those who were trying to organsie the USA one! I'm afraid I don't really know much about Sci-fi conventions living the backside of nowhere as I do, but for the first time ever there is a Sci Fi convention in Perth on Saturday,with special guest Nichelle Nichols, however I can't go because I am already committed to going to Gidgegannup to look at buying a Dexter Cow!! I know..... WHERE IS MY DEDICATION!! And no smart comments please about Bexter buying a Dexter!! LOL!!

Yes, rest assured we are solid and will NOT have those issues. Marc is here to help with that using his expertise and we have a GREAT CFO (Nancy) who is holding some of us (ok, just me lol) from blowing the budget too fast. The rest of our committee is also working hard to ensure we have a fantastic convention for you all, but one that is financially responsible to the fans and our charity. I posted a note at the bottom of the website about this as well.

Very sorry for all those FEDCON USA fans who were let down and (possibly) lost all their money. This will not happen here!

Classical Theories said:
I "WILL" have some stories to tell when we sit at the bar tho. People have been asking me to write a book about conventions for years now. I might have to seriously consider it now.

Fantastic... I never get tired of peoples stories!!! Bring it on, and some drinks at the bar too

:cheers

Classical Theories said:
I "WILL" have some stories to tell when we sit at the bar tho. People have been asking me to write a book about conventions for years now. I might have to seriously consider it now.

Save a stool for me!

Classical Theories said:
Never say stool and FCUSA in the same sentence unless you mean it. ROFL!!

Oh boy. That bad, huh? Well, considering how the con turned out, I guess I could answer my own question.

As an original Trek United member, I wish I could say I saw this coming. I bought the line for a while, until I had a European teenager telling me off via chat, telling me I worked for him, and I needed to make a cross country call (instead of him) to reach Tim B. in LA!

Can anyone say absolute power corrupts?