The important questions: Leaped or Leapt?

etnlIcarus

Banned
Feb 13, 2007
Gawler, South Australia
One thing that's bugged me has been the cast/script writer's insistence upon using the term leaped. It just doesn't sound like a proper word.

Granted, both are technically proper and who knows what Northmen originally used for the verb but I still say they should have used leapt.

Thoughts?

"Leaped" is standard American English, so it sounds fine to me. "Leapt" sounds like British English to me, although Dean Stockwell often says it that way. So really, you have it both ways.

I don't have a preference, since my parents are British but I was raised American. It's the same with dreamed and dreamt, though. Either one is correct, and I think it may even be regional.

I use both, but switch back and forth subconsciously. For some reason it just depends on the context of which I'm using the word in. For example: "All the people you've leapt into"; or, "Sam leaped back into himself at some point in the past." I guess it's just the way it sounds in my head when I'm proof-reading my posts. But I do like consistency, so I try to use only one or the other in a post, even though I still use both sometimes, accidentally.